Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Making the Interior Your Own

Having searched the forum to see how others have personalized their AS interiors, we've found many threads related to restoration, updating and reclaiming but we haven't found much about making newer AS interiors your own— where restoration isn't necessary... So I decided to start a new thread so folks could share what they have done to personalize their ASs...make them their own.

I'll start. We have a 2006 19' Bambi SE which is a charmer on its own...but to make it our own we have created decor themes to fit our mood or fit where we plan to travel next... We've chosen to do this through the use of slip covers on the dinette with matching throw pillows, bespreads, pillow shams and throw rungs. Bambi's are so small it doesn't take much to change the tone of the interior completely...so far we've done themes called "Safari," "SoCal," and "TropiCal"... We have other ideas in our heads, but these are the ones we've done so far.

Here's a link to our "Member Photos" so you can see what our different decors look like. Hope you enjoy! http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=21900

Other Streamers have no doubt come up with other ideas to personalize their ASs...we'd like so see what you've come up with...not just with slip covers, etc, but anything else you've done to make your AS your own... Give us inspiration!

Look forward to seeing what you've done!

Happy Trails...TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Nice!

Do you make the covers or have someone make them?

I bought fabric to cover our L lounge, but haven't done it yet, and since we are trading next week, won't do it. I have the thoughts, just don't seem to get it done. I have a comforter on the bed.

Once again, your AS makeovers are nice! Really nice!

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Lots of good stuff on this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...uff-33359.html
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
Overwhelmed

I've always loved the airstreams and finally got a chance to own one. What I have purchased is a 1968 Globetrotter. Previous owner was in the process of renovation on the old girl. When I saw this baby it didnt matter it was completely gutted except for the bathroom which was still intact I had to have it emotion took over. So I drag this baby home and stare I have all the contents that were ripped out hmmmmmm do i try to figure out where it all goes repair and reinstall or get creative and start from scratch ? Would it be smarter and create more room getting rid of gas range abd install microwave?
Then I ask myself how safe is that gas water heater and how long ago was that in use. Oh if I get rid of the range and water heater I have no use for gas. OMG see where I'm at all I know is I need to think it through before I start.If anyone has any advice I'm all ears.

Thanks George
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
George (Zebra)
Welcome to the forums. GTs are great little units, congratulations.

Here is a link to a bunch of pitures to show what a 68GT looks like:
68Globetrotter

How you will finish the trailer depends alot on how you intend to use it. If you intend to park in fully equipt RV parks or boondock in secluded spaces. If you go all electric you need to look at amperage. 30 amps is what you will get at a RV park, if you boondock you need to bring a generator. The gas items that you replace may require more amps then you can provide. Airstream built some units that were "park" models. They were intended to be used only in RV parks. They still had gas ranges, heaters and water heaters for that reason.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
Thanks Rich

Great pics !!!
Detailed enough to get a start.

Thanks Again

George
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Still have the old safari covers?

Want to get rid of them?

Steve
Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi TB,

Nice work. Like all three decors. I see we have the same Corelle Simple Lines china too. Square plates in the round house.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
Nice!

Do you make the covers or have someone make them?

I bought fabric to cover our L lounge, but haven't done it yet, and since we are trading next week, won't do it. I have the thoughts, just don't seem to get it done. I have a comforter on the bed.

Once again, your AS makeovers are nice! Really nice!

Pat
Thanks, Pat...

We made the slip covers ourselves. Greg is somewhat of a "rennaisance man"...when he wasn't swinging a hammer to build a "Bambi Port" (a high car port attached to othe side of our home to shelter the Bambi...a whole 'nother story), he was hard at work at the sewing machine... He was definitley in "project mode"...

TB
Old 08-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi TB,

Nice work. Like all three decors. I see we have the same Corelle Simple Lines china too. Square plates in the round house.

Vaughan
Thanks, Vaughn...glad you like...

Yes! The Corelle "Simple Lines" is perfect for ASs...and will fit in nicely with a future decor we have in mind...a "Retro" look...still looking for just the right fabric for that one...

TB )O
Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
TB--
How do you stow your corelle dishes??

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Caryl...We stow the Corelle in one of the cabinets over the dinette...stacked with pieces of that non-skid cabinet lining stuff between each piece to keep them from rattle and sliding...seems to work pretty well...

TB
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
I have the thoughts, just don't seem to get it done.
i'm sure there are more than a few of us who can relate

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My wife Donna has a couple of themes - one is stripes, the other is plain, and she changes them from time to time just to confuse me. I walk out and into the trailer with my mug of tea and think "Am I in the right trailer?", and then I realize she's been at it again. I like the changes as they are quick and easy, cheap (my favorite word), and it keeps me guessing. I'm not sure what her next plan is but I've seen her eying the dinette cushions and I suspect she may be planning another surprise for me one of these trips out.

It sure doesn't take a lot to completely change the tone of an Airstream.

So far, though, I haven't seen any hot rod themed things going on , but I suppose I could surprise the heck out of both of us by doing it myself. The surprise for her is that I did it and it's a theme she didn't pick. The surprise to me would be how quickly she can change it back to something she likes and stuff my car-themed really swell things into my shop .

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
GREAT PICS !!!!!! we are planning some slip covers ourselves ...just haven't picked out material yet. so thanks , after seeing photos , we are getting some ideas.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
st louis , Missouri
Thanks so much for starting this thread. My husband doesn't like the fabric on the dinette, so he's been after me to change them. Your pics have given me some ideas. We eventually want to take the carpet in living room out and do vinyl or wood. Why do they put an oatmeal color in a trailer? With 12 feet ( 4 human and 8 canine) it doesn't stay clean for long.

When Mr. Greg did the slipcovers did you use different cushions for each set or do you just change the covers?

Thanks again,
Marty
2wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Hacienda Heights , California
Thumbs up Bambi Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Thanks, Pat...

We made the slip covers ourselves. Greg is somewhat of a "rennaisance man"...when he wasn't swinging a hammer to build a "Bambi Port" (a high car port attached to othe side of our home to shelter the Bambi...a whole 'nother story), he was hard at work at the sewing machine... He was definitley in "project mode"...

TB
Hi TBRich, love all your different styles! Can you post some pictures of your "Bambi Port"?
Angie...
Thanks, and keep posting pictures of your upcoming styles? Hey maybe you can even sell them?
atomasich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Last year the Ralph Lauren Foundation refurbed three airstreams with various interiors to raise money for the foundation. They created the Adirondak, Nautical and Southwest interiors. You can go to their web site to view. Pay particular attention to the outdoor furniture and the awnings.

About Ralph Lauren - About.RalphLauren.com
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by none
Thanks so much for starting this thread. My husband doesn't like the fabric on the dinette, so he's been after me to change them. Your pics have given me some ideas. We eventually want to take the carpet in living room out and do vinyl or wood. Why do they put an oatmeal color in a trailer? With 12 feet ( 4 human and 8 canine) it doesn't stay clean for long.

When Mr. Greg did the slipcovers did you use different cushions for each set or do you just change the covers?

Thanks again,
Marty
Hey Marty...thanks for the note... We just used the existing cushions and put the slip coves over the original coverings, so we don't have duplicate cushions (that would get expensive, not to mention storing them)...you could take off the original covers if you want, though. We actually like the original covers (it's the Midnight Sun Interior)...we just wanted some variety and to claim it as our own...now it's turned into an small obsession...we were out looking for fabric yesterday...again... There's a "Retro" coming and maybe and Asian theme...who knows!

Good luck with it and let us see what you come up with!

TB
Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlevel5
Last year the Ralph Lauren Foundation refurbed three airstreams with various interiors to raise money for the foundation. They created the Adirondak, Nautical and Southwest interiors. You can go to their web site to view. Pay particular attention to the outdoor furniture and the awnings.

About Ralph Lauren - About.RalphLauren.com
Cool...thanks for the link! If Ralph can do it WE can do it!

TB