Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Looking for photos of manually done satin/brushed aluminum interior

I'm looking for photos of an AS interior where someone stripped the paint and sanded to give a satin or brushed aluminum look. We want to use the original interior panels instead of the new AS panels that are "pre-satin'd". The wife and I have decided we don't want a polished aluminum interior or painted so are bouncing a few ideas around. This will be on a 1950 liner. The ideas we are going through are listed below, number one is our first choice:

1. Striping paint, sanding with an oscillating sander with green "steel wool" pads to get a satin or brushed look. We plan to polish the trim around windows, overhead cabinets, ceiling fan trim, etc. with wood cabinets/interior walls, I think this would look good.

2. Cover the entire interior with wood paneling. With the flat endcapThey sheets, should work well. This might be too much wood with wood cabinets though.

3. Cover ceiling with wood paneling, re do end caps with copper. We saw some photos from one similar and loved the look. Drawback is we also will have some aluminum trim, overheads and think the copper, aluminum and wood will look odd. Also, copper will be expensive.

I am hoping to see an interior where someone tried the satin look. If not, I will try to get a satin finish on a sample sheet from the lower, interior panel.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
I'm curious if you've done this? I was tossing around this idea as well.
painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote