Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2002, 01:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Looking for new shades...

Hello. We just purchased a 1974 31' landyacht and I'm thinking of replacing the shades in the bathroom and above the kitchen sink. Does anyone know where I can get replacement shades at? The only problem with the shade is on the trim the fringe is starting to come unsewn.
Thank you
Lisa (helping dad)
larrylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Hi.

You should be able to go to just about any interior blind store and have vinyl roller shades cut to your specific length and width. We did the same think with ours. This will give you a lot of color options too.

Good luck!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Thank you. That was to easy! I think I'm just expecting to find difficulty in replacing everything so I didn't think there would be such an easy answer.
Thanks again.
Lisa
larrylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:36 PM   #4

Another option to replacing them is Hot Glue Gun and reglue the trim.
overland70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for new shades...

Greetings Lisa

In addition to the new shade route, there is also the possibility of getting a little creative with the process. Assuming that the original roller tube and spring are still in good condition and functional, it would be possible to create fabric shades with a fabric of your choice seamed along the edges and glued to the roller tube at the top - - it might be necessary to adapt a slightly heavier bottom hem device than the typical wood insert to keep the shade pulled against the window. I don't know whether it is still made, but about three years ago you could find a special kind of window shade material that allowed you to iron-on virtually any fabric as an interior decoration element - - the advantage being that it was sold as a no-sew project - - the side and bottom hems were wrapped around the edges of the special shade material and ironed in-place as well. There are several in the Vintage Airstream Club who have taken one of these avenues to have "custom" shades for their coaches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Kevin,

Thats a great idea too! Expands fabric variety even further!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:08 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Window shades

I'd like to do mine over too,bbbbbbut, can't seem to get them out?? I tried the standard house hold method method. It was a low priority so I didn't proceed. Any suggestions?? Tom
Old 12-05-2002, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Lisa,
Replacing those shades is an easy fix like you found but let me advise you that the "economy" shades found at the home stores are not worth the space they take up. The rollers are as cheap as the material and they will not retract easily. If you buy the premium shades, you get the premium cartridge or roller as well and you will be much happier with them. I replaced mine and had to do it twice because I got what I paid for. Get the good ones!
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote