Old 01-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

First A/S unlined. Classic lined...we vote lined.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
We've had one of each. We do a lot of boondocking and it is often quite dusty. Thought the fuzzy walls would start looking pretty nasty after a while even with frequent vacuuming. The aluminum walls are much easier to clean.

As for insulation, we find that here in Texas in the summer it takes a bit longer to cool the metal interior but, with a 15,000 btu AC it isn't much of a problem. We have also stayed in both types in weather that was in the teens and found little difference in the comfort. The walls are a bit cooler to the touch and perhaps we use a bit more propane keeping it warm, but we have never been cold.

For my purpose it is aluminum without question.

Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Fling your arm up over your head while sleeping in 28 degree weather - you'll wake up abruptly.
Wish Airstream had a happy medium - Wainscotting with fabric in the bedroom - and bare above. I suppose that with a minimum of effort I could use a quilted fabric to make my own, and even attach the with the removable 3M removable hook hanger thingies (double sided foam strips with adhesive on both sides - that you pull and stretch to release. Easy to clean too.
Crap - another project - and I don't even own vintage.

Next time when I am down, I'll show you this wainscoting you wished for in my unit..It's pattern is rather simple to replica ..And, YES..It's nice to touch with barefoot year round~!!
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Any metal surface will feel cooler than a cloth one, even if it is the same temp. I sometimes wonder if the belief the aluminum interiors are colder or warmer than the mouse fur ones is "conventional wisdom". Does one feel different because of a perception that is not objective? Has it been measured with a thermometer? Just curious since we're not going to sell ours with aluminum interior. If the windows are smaller (see Post #6) in the mouse fur units, that would probably make the biggest difference in temp.

We liked the aluminum interior—after all, isn't this about design and aluminum? We were concerned about the mouse fur (if you own one with mouse fur, you'll call it "lined") absorbing cooking odors plus keeping it clean. The aluminum looks really cool, especially when the lights reflect off it. Do not rub against the aluminum anytime, but especially in the winter, while naked—it will always feel cold. Maybe some people like rubbing against it, don't let me stop you.

So, like 28totow writes, it's a matter of taste. Make sure of what you like and then buy it.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I put this in our 1972

Soveriegn. The previous owners had drill holes for various items and the walls were stained so we went with putting this on the walls in the living area and in the twin bedroom area. It looks great and provides excellent insulating properties. When you install it make sure you use lots of spray adhesive. Oh yeah, the stuff is called Ozite Fabric aka hull liner.

1958 Overlander
2011 Wolf Creek 850N TC
2011 Ford F-250 Crewcab (6.2L), 3.73RE

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote