Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Whoa!

2Air...where is your appreciation of vintage?

Steve - I'm just a couple of weeks behind you - waiting for my e-bay leg-o-matics to arrive. I'm not expecting perfection - but hopefully, the seller was honest in describing them - and I will not be disappointed. I am expecting work - check out this vap - 1960 Airstream Ambassador Project! 2007 May . His leg-o-matics looked great after the restoration and he added more cush to the seat. These chairs are well-designed and well-made (and made in the USA) - kinda like our Airstreams - and should last much longer with reasonable care. The Howards Restore-A-Finish might work well for your chairs - they do look good in the photos...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
These chairs are only being used for extra seating at the dining table opposite the sofa. We have a set of three bag chairs for outside use. Other than that, I sat a long while playing guitar with no issues in one of them.

As long as the locking mechanism stays working I am comfortable.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgezink
2Air...where is your appreciation of vintage?

Steve - I'm just a couple of weeks behind you - waiting for my e-bay leg-o-matics to arrive. I'm not expecting perfection - but hopefully, the seller was honest in describing them - and I will not be disappointed. I am expecting work - check out this vap - 1960 Airstream Ambassador Project! 2007 May . His leg-o-matics looked great after the restoration and he added more cush to the seat. These chairs are well-designed and well-made (and made in the USA) - kinda like our Airstreams - and should last much longer with reasonable care. The Howards Restore-A-Finish might work well for your chairs - they do look good in the photos...
George,

Which ones did you get off ebay? We were likely bidding against one another for them.

Steve
Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey Gang,

After long anticipation, I received my Leg-O-Matic chairs earlier in the week. I knew one of the chair backs was missing some laminate before it came, but there were other spots that need a bit of repair. I have replaced the missing laminate on on chairs back, and repaired a large crack in one of the legs. As much as I would like to keep these in the wood tone, the repairs will be very visible. We are going to paint them, but what color. The first picture is the fabric color we have to recover the cushions in. The second is of the chairs of course.

I think black would be too dark, but I am no interior designer. Our floor is a brown stone texture.

Anyone have a color thought????

Steve

Steve,

If I might respectfully suggest. Sanding is not needed. Make the repair then scrub the entire chair with denatured alcohol, 4/0 steel wool, and apply two coats of two pound cut dewaxed orange shellac. No need to paint but if you decided to do so then you can paint over the shellac. Dewaxed shellac will stick to anything and anything will stick to the shellac. I think the original finish was shellac, if so denatured alcohol will clean them nicely.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Cape Coral , Florida
Steve,
Actually this wasn't an e-bay auction. It was an e-bay "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" Listing (item 310018502243). I asked a few questions - got satisfactory answers - and made an offer which was accepted. This listing was "hidden" when I did a search for "Lorraine chair". Lorraine made the leg-o-matic...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Cape Coral , Florida
Great info Royce - I like options...
Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Leg-O-Matic

Steve
I got mine last year off Ebay. I lucked out. All I had to replace was the seat material. My bride had some red vinyl that matched the dead stuff that was on the chair and replaced the jute/cotton padding what ever with heavy cotton batting.
My dad had a pair in a travel trailer (Prarie Schooner) we had back in the late fifties. I still have both of them but the ones I bought were pristine compaired to those.
Beginner
Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Cape Coral , Florida
Got 'em!

My e-bay leg-o-matics arrived today...really cool chairs...have the original royal blue cracked ice vinyl seats (with the "ice" mostly worn off on one - and the other with very little wear on the "ice"). There is some minor repair to the chairback veneer - it's there, but lifted in a few spots - and the finish needs to be restored. The blue seats will have to go - perhaps yellow cracked ice. They fold and sit great - very happy with this purchase. I'll get Bonnie to work on them...I need to get back to minnie pearl...
Old 09-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
An old thread I know, but if anyone is interested, I have come across a set of 4 Stackmore vintage chairs.

PM me if you are interested in them.