Old 10-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Krylon Fusion on 70's vinyl walls

I'm in the process of re-installing the skins in my trailer, and need to start thinking about paint. I'll be doing the end caps with Fusion, but I'm also thinking about doing all of the interior skins with it, as well.
I've gone through many of the painting threads, discussing the various primer/pain/oil based vs latex, etc issues. There have been a few comments from people saying that they used the fusion on everything, but I can't find any long-term reports on how its held up over time.

Anyone got any such reports? any arguments for/against?

thanks!

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
[crickets....]

nobody's got anything, eh?

Oh well. One other thing I'm finding odd is I can't find the Fusion paint anywhere on the shelves. a couple of stores had a couple of cans...odd colors. but no one seems to be fully stocked, so I'll probably have to mail order it. I did manage to pick up several cans of white at one True Value store; but Lowes, ace, others....nada. \_(ツ)_/
So I'll do a test with what I got in some invisible areas, or on scrap pieces, and see if it sticks.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
It is getting tough to find. I think they may have incorporated the fusion qualities into the max line.
Can't attest to the long term on the vinyl, but my end caps are holding up well. Vinyl would need to be very clean before painting. If you haven't put them back in yet I'd recommend some heavy degreaser and pressure washing before putting them back in.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_e...n+spray++paint

I can't recommend doing can puff paint - Harbor Freight sells low pressure paint sprayers that gives better than an equal chance for a near-professional looking paint job, clean plastic then a bonding/primer layer and the sky's the limit for what color/finish gets done...

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint.html

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
yeah, the cleaning. They've been cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned again.
When I took them out last summer, I pressure washed them and scrubbed them as clean as they can ever get. Then I put them in the basement for a year...as I'm taking them out, I find that they need to be cleaned again, because they continue to leach the sticky, which attracts more dirt and mildew from the air. So I'm cleaning them again, flat on a table, with a scrub brush and more super-clean (best stuff I've found) before reinstalling them.

This is part of the reason I'd like to paint them...they're 95% passable, as they are, but they will continue to re-dirt-i-fy themselves due to the perpetual re-stick-ification. I'm hoping that a coating will encapsulate that process. (but reports vary...).
There are a few discolored areas that are beyond "cleaning". Interesting property of this vinyl coating that I've noticed: it seems to discolor in a manner that is opposite of the abs endcaps and other plastic fixtures. They tend to yellow from being exposed to UV. areas that were hidden, or in the closet, etc, are much less yellowed. With the vinyl, it seems to be yellowed where it was covered with something; the areas that were exposed to uv the most are the least discolored.
ex: there was a wall-mount phone jack screwed to the skin in one spot. under that--yellow. all around it--not yellow. (I know; hang a picture over it).
bigger problem is the center ceiling panel, under the light fixtures. since at least one (maybe 2) is going to be replaced with a fantastic vent, the light fixture won't be re-installed, and the whole large area that these fixtures covered will be exposed, and look awful.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
Flushing , Michigan
I have just reinstalled the interior skins and am nearly ready to finish paint. I cleaned the vinyl walls several times, primarily with Krud Kutter, a great product in my view. Then I wiped them down with mineral spirits before installing, then primed with oil based Kilz or Zinser. We are deciding now what to finish paint with (product and color), leaning toward Sherwin Williams "all surface enamel oil base". I have used Krylon Fusion for several plastic pieces and some metal, including tambour, roof locker trim, window trim, screen frames, fridge vent, etc and it performs nicely--the spray nozzle and pattern are better than others I have used.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Painting

I agree with Steve46. Kilz will encapsulate the vinyl prior to painting. I would install panels first prior to painting. If you want the olde school look, I have heard that Zolatone paint now has a roll/brush on version that applies well. Sherwin Williams sells one also sells one similar out of their local stores which is mail ordered.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Have you looked into using a vinyl dye?

http://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-vinyl-dye