Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
JC Re-attaching Vinyl Headliner

I was at the Service Center in Jackson Center this week. One of the jobs that caught my attention was a technician re-attaching the foam backed vinyl headline in an AS 34. The scope of work was the total headliner from one end to the other The tech was using a 2 part 3M product that I don't remember the name of. I had read on the forum that you could not re-attach this type of headliner. It looks like the service center has figured out how to make this work.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Could you tell whether they were reattaching the headliner, or installing new after having cleaned and prepped the inside.

Thanks for the report.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
When I was at JC a couple of years ago, I asked the question about how they replace the vinyl headliner. The answer was they remove the cabinetry and whatever is in the way and then pull down the old headliner. They spend minimal time cleaning off the remnants of that old headliner. They then rivet up a layer of new aluminum sheeting right over the existing aluminum ceiling and glue the new headliner to that new aluminum that they just installed. The service advisor said the added thickness of the new aluminum sheet is minimal and not noticeable. They do it that way to save a lot of time. I don't think you can reglue old headliner. The foam is usually very deteriorated. I replaced one section of vinyl headliner in my old Classic and removed all the old glue before putting up the new headliner. It was a lot of work. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Could you tell whether they were reattaching the headliner, or installing new after having cleaned and prepped the inside.

Thanks for the report.

Pat
According to the Tech, he was reattaching the original headliner without removing the old headliner. When I spoke to the tech performing the work, the arching plastic bows had been removed but nothing else that holds up the headliner had been removed (vent / fan trim, etc..). The trim attaching the horizontal edges of the headliner were still attached. The headliner was sagging considerably after the arching plastic bows were removed. The tech was in the prep phase of the job. I did not ask for more details. I did not want to keep the tech from his work.

I told him I had always heard that you could not re-glue an old headliner. He said they could re-glue the old one using the 3M product they have. He also said it was considerably cheaper to re-glue the old headliner vs. installing a new headliner.

I suggest calling the Service Center and ask Chris about the details of the process and the price if you are interested.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Interesting info, both of you.

Thanks - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
This seems to be the product. Though I haven't used it. Have a truck that needs it though and may try this as opposed to replacing the whole headliner.

On-line Product Catalog:*3M
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
This seems to be the product. Though I haven't used it. Have a truck that needs it though and may try this as opposed to replacing the whole headliner.

On-line Product Catalog:*3M

The tech (Bill) said he was going to use a two-part 3M product. The foam backing on the headliner looked to be in good shape. Maybe the good condition of the foam is why JC feels that this headliner can be re-glued.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
What about the wall fabric insulator- the textured stuff in the classic- same stuff?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote