Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Jacknife Sofa alternative

Greetings. I have a Jacknife sofa that is not too comfortable to sit on. The issue is that with my floor plan I need a seat and a bed where the sofa is. I need to occasionally accommodate three persons and although I would like to have recliners, I still need a bed too.

I contacted several vendors and asked about options. I was told that the easiest option for me with an Airstream 74" sofa would be to dump the jackknife model and replace it with a flexsteel Magic Sofa. Anyone familiar with these? I was told it was much more comfortable - deeper seat and softer cushion. I have not been able to find a local vendor to see one so any feedback would be great.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Mooresville , Indiana
Just looked at them online and our nearest dealer is 150 miles away too. They look nice and have the benches for the dinette to match which we need both. Let me know if you get one would love to hear how it feels. I have a feeling with no pricing listed I'm going to have to beg Santa to brings us some.
Karry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

We ditched the jackknife on our 25 Airstream Safari.
We replaced it and the flimsy foldout table with a dinette that seats 4. Our dinette is fixed but others are obtainable that convert into a double bed.
The conversion works well for us as we can have guests for dinner, we have storage under the dinette which almost equals what we had under the jackknife, we have a comfortable work area and we have a counter all around the dinette for storage.
We ordered the dinette online and had it shipped to us. Search for rv furniture and you will find sources.
Our remodel cost $5,000 with composite flooring and a new toilet. Everything looks as good as if it was factory installed. We had a professional carpenter as there was quite a lot of work involved. A skilled handyman could cut the cost in half.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0000232.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	194077  
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Handn
That is a very attractive setup and looks comfortable. Thx for the inspiration.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
ok, well I finally got some info from Flexsteel, the company who makes the OEM sofa in my Safari. They are recommending I consider an easy bed model. Basically we are talking sleeping, storage and sitting. I still am not sure what my options are. I see pictures of people's living area on here with what looks to be non-standard sofas or chairs but it seems to require a bit of customizing.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Mooresville , Indiana
I hunted down a real dealer in the 150 range from me (we have a lot of trailer manufacturers in Indiana). It looks like close to $1500 for a sofa, which is out of my current budget range so we are looking at Camping World's website for a decent alternative to get us on the road this spring considering we have 34' of remodeling to do! We are also taking the old jack knife which had some broken springs and really broken cushions to an auto upholstery shop to see what their estimate will be. You are correct in the modification part if yours is like ours because there is a box under the sofa for part of the external workings besides keeping the power converter and LV fuse box accessible. I'll keep you posted on what we find and the quotes. It will be a while as this is the beginning of our busy season for work
Karry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks Karry.

Does anyone know the brand and model of the one they now put in the Classic models? It does not look like a jacknife with a plastic pull, etc, and the number of cushions. Anyone know?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
It is a Villa and they are made specifically for airstream. I ordered one from them.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks Tater. Today I spoke with Mike at Villa Int. regarding the sofas. You are correct in it being the same as the current Classic series OEM sofa.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Mike is who I ordered from. Everything lined up with the original holes in floor.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote