Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
That is amazing, and so beautiful! I love the lounge, and the cushions look so luxe! Congrats!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Your remodel is very nice. My only question is what will you do about a table?
We have an '07 FB w a dinette at the rear. We have lowered the table and situated the cushions to make a huge lounge. Considering cutting down the table to make a J lounge. Testing this configuration now to see how we like it.
Only just don't know what to do about a table.
Not sure exactly what we're going to do, but this is the plan so far:
- table is the size of the hole up front with rounded 6-8" radius corners.
- I'm going to use 1-1/2" Alum angle under the front trim of the bench to support the edges of the table on 3 sides.
- I have an old barber chair in storage that I'm going to see if I can cannibalize the stand portion to raise/lower the table in place without screwing it to the floor. It's nice and stout.
- I really like the Charcoal Boomerang Formica, but we own this with another couple, so I need to see if everyone else likes that idea.
- Some sort of aluminum trim to go around the edge. I like the 50's diner style T-Nose stuff, but we're not going with a 50's motif, so again, I need to get the input from the rest of the group to see what everyone likes.

Another goal of the table is to make it stowable. So there's no table at all.

I just want it all.

-kevin

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
Big Fan

This is exactly what we want to do our 1968, the upfront bed and seating are too small!

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
That J-Lounge setting looks great!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Kevin,
keep us posted on the table..pics...we also want it out of the way when not in use...
Kate
Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
I like this table base, but I think we'd have to take the table outside to use the lounge "table free". I think anything that could be taken apart wouldn't be stable enough.
I'm still looking for ideas and/or products that will work.
-Kevin

V40 - SNAP 2 Folding Table Base - Price: $69.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327
Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Started on the table

I bought some more wood. First I bought some 5/8ths CDX and planned on laminating them together. They were totally twisted and warped. After talking with a wood guy at HD, I bought some 3/4 Birch? hardwood with a sanded nice finish. I'm going to put formica over it, so it's kind of a shame, but it's nice and sturdy, and super flat and level. This is double thickness wood glued together and then screwed together from the bottom with about twenty 1.25" sheetrock screws.

When the lounge is in "Night" mode, the table sits in some 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 Angle aluminum that I screwed into the underside of the trim. One 8 ft. piece was just enough.

I built a stand out of 2x4s just for the weekend and I still don't know what I'm going to do for a permanent solution. I found several marine (Yacht) pedestals that I like, but I'm not really up for spending $900. I like this one for $269, but that's still a lot of money in my mind:

I'm going to keep thinking about it and working on a solution that I like.

-Kevin
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
I am already looking for foam to build similar although not as cool! I see sliders on the bed how does it role out? I was planning on having a table like a motorhome that can be removed and set in middle of lounge and cover with cushions to make large bed. How will yours work... love it love it!

I see your picture now of it rolled out! Somehow I missed! Love it!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
What about something like this?
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/produc...2b4a86_600.jpg
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, what a fantastic job you did on this trailer. The light show was quite interesting too.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamD View Post
What about something like this?
Yes. But it needs to collapse down to 12" or so, and up to 27. That means that it has to be a 3 part pedestal. (12+12 = 24)

And I learned my lesson on our last trailer to make it robust. I used two standard pedestals that screw into the floor and to the bottom of the table. Just a tube and two ends, like most tables, and it was too unstable. So annoying.

I'll probably spring for the $269 one. They sell it at Walmart, so I could return it if it doesn't work out.

-Kevin
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Ohhh..... Thats frakin great!! I love it.. A couple questions about your build out.

It looks like the side groucho slides out. What kind of slides did you use and how much did they cost? Also how large of a bed area do you have when you slide it out? How well does the bed hold up when you pull it out and add the weight of small jumping screaming monkey children?

What kind of plywood did you use? It looks great. I like the hinge on top great idea.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Ohhh..... Thats frakin great!! I love it.. A couple questions about your build out.

It looks like the side groucho slides out. What kind of slides did you use and how much did they cost? Also how large of a bed area do you have when you slide it out? How well does the bed hold up when you pull it out and add the weight of small jumping screaming monkey children?

What kind of plywood did you use? It looks great. I like the hinge on top great idea.
1. 16" drawer slides $12/ea at Home Depot x 4.
2. In sleeper mode, the side area is 28" wide, and 57" long.
3. I put a 200lb limit on the slide out.
4. The facia is a nicer alder? 3/8" sanded hardwood, and the bench top (under the cushions) is a 3/8" cheap CDX.

The slide area is only used at night, and only when there's all 6 of us (two couples with a 6yr old and a 6mo old.). I can sit my 196 pounds of manliness on the edge of the bed when it's extended as a test, but I could plop my ass down and probably break the whole thing off if I really tried. It's not bomb proof, but will work fine for a 60 pound 6yr old well mannered girl who is the only one who has tested it so far.

When I designed it, I wanted to be able to lift the whole section to access storage under it. I also wanted everything to be as light as possible, just to keep the total weight of the trailer down.

I also have never designed anything like this before, so I was willing to make some mistakes along the way. If I had rowdy boys, I would double the amount of drawer sliders or tell them to take it outside. If it breaks, I can re-build it stronger next time.

Really, an adult could sleep on the "slider" section. The adult's feet would extend into the front area, but the trailer is 8 feet wide up there, and I don't have any 8ft tall friends or family. There might be some footsies touching, but we're all family, right?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Looks great, gives me inspiration for a future project. For the table, why dont you use some of the marine pedestal seat fixtures that use a base, a post and then a mount, looks like this:

Together looks like this:

Use two of them and it should be fairly stable and when you dont want to see it, all you have is the plate mounted in the floor, which could probably made to be flush with the top of the floor. Probably cost around 60 each x 2.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote