Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Interior Wood Wall Coverings

We are thinking of covering the wood walls in the center bedroom of our "78" Ambassador. On one wall the vinyl was peeling and partially removed. We don't want to strip the vinyl on the panels but have been thinking about covering them. Our initial thought was to use bamboo sheets cut to fit. That begs the question...how to attach them to the walls...construction adhesive, screws? What have others done with these interior walls? Looking for any and all suggestions. Really don't want to paint. Thanks!

Bob

Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi bob

a thin veneer of many solid materials can be attached over the vinyl...

IF the vinyl is in good shape and CLEANED properly beforehand.

not only wood veneers but formica or other thin solid laminates work well.

my experience was that a spray adhesive worked VERY well for ~15 years without issues.

there may be some peeling based on intense heat exposure, time or technique.

but this is a better option than screws or rivets or solid fasteners that pierce the original wall panels.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
2Air...would you suggest removing the wall to laminate or could it be done with the walls in their proper position? We are also considering removing the front wall seperating the countertop from the streetside bed...opening up the trailer. But I'm not sure what issues this presents with the overhead compartments.

Bob
Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Any time you are working with glued on materials it is a lot easier to work on the horizontal than the vertical so removal is a good idea if you don't have to disassemble 2/3s of the rig.

Any loose material should be cut away from he wall before you apply the new material to insure adhesion of the new to a good surface.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi bob

it depends on how many walls and surfaces are being redone and how easy it is to cut the templates for veneers.

for example doors that can come OFF via the piano hinges vs fixed walls.

most of my 70s unit was done without removing walls (doors and drawers) and with a roller.

many of these modern spray on adhesives are tight right away.

a/s applies the ceiling vinyl and mouse fur like wall paper, overhead and vertically after spraying both surfaces with stick'em.

the real issue with removing walls, is finding that much MORE stuff to fix and update once you are IN the spaces.

and IF there is shag carpet UNDER things, pulling interior walls is a good approach, since the carpet can be removed at the same time.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Veneers over Plastic

Wel said 2 Air. I left my panels in place and then covered them. Took many measurements and trimming the panels before
I put on the adhesive and used a roller to press it down. I cut the veneer to fit around the overhead bins. It probably would have been easier to remove and glue but then everything including overhead bins has to e removed. Here's a link to the thread with pics of it:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ind-56774.html