Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAir View Post
First, I would definitely recommend against Zolatone. It is a fantastic paint but it can be extremely tricky to apply, especially if you are painting around contours. It requires a sprayer with a pressurized paint cup, and oversized nozzle. It also needs to be applied between 70 and 80 degrees with low humidity. It will set you back a grand or more for the primer, paint, and special equipment to spray it. It says it covers 120 sq ft / gallon, but it is really half of that to get full coverage. You need a contrasting color of primer to see when you have complete coverage. If you spray white over white, you will never get the uniform continous film that is required for the paint to hold up. Even with lots of experince spraying automotive paints, it was a pian. I did it once but never again! I just painted my 31 footer with Sherwin Williams Primer, top coated with Sherwin Willians Pre-Catylized Water Based Epoxy. This an awesome combination that can be applied by spray or brush and roller. You can get any finish and color you want. I did mine in semi-gloss bright white and the results are great. I really like the white color in a trailer because it makes the space so much brighter and seems so much bigger. I also found a cleaner/prep called Marine Clean. It as made by the POR-15 people. You can clean a wall with whatever you want, but when you spray the Marine Clean on afterward, you'll see that is wasn't really clean at all. It's nasty stuff though. You need good ventilation, gloves, and you really should wear a mask to prevent breathing the vapors. It will choke the heck out of you. 30 years of cooking grease and cig smoke just ran down the wall after being hit with this stuff! That epoxy paint I used makes a super tough and scrubbable wall finish. I used light gray primer and two coats of paint applied by roller & brush. The stuff dries quickly, even at low temperatures. It can be applied down to 50 degrees. It took 4 gallons to do the complete trailer including closets and overhead cupboards. The Zolatone takes 6 to 8 gallons at $128 a gallon plus catalyst, and $210 for primer. The epoxy was $36 a gallon and seems just as bulletproof.
OK, I know nothing of Zolatone but assume thats whats in this 68 30 ft Sovereign???? What kind of paint do I use for painting over the Zolatone???? I know its an odd paint and I prefer Behr (sp) from Home depot, it sbeen great on my home and an extreamely windy part of Northern Nevada and hold up great.

I dont know what to use on the Zolatone, primer or what kind of top coat? Is there a specific paint I have to use, I thought Kevin Tetz (The DIY GUY)suggested one type of paint for over the top of the Zolatone

HOW ABOUT FOR OTHER SURFACES?

I also paint using automotive paints and expoxy and top coat primers on vehicles I do, however, I have actually used Omni expoxy gray primer over some wood, which them allows me to use an automotive top coat. I did this for shop cabinets, as I wanted some shinny metal looking cabinets and it worked well. I have a few areas inside the 68 that I may do like this as we may go with a hotrod theme and or surf, woody theme in ours. Still deciding.

Any help is appreciated????

Thanks

Dave
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Any top quality/premiun acrylic primer/undercoater should perform quite well. Behr primer will work just fine and a Behr finish paint with your choice of sheen ie: flat, eggshell, semigloss, or full gloss should do the trick. What is wrong with the Zolatone in your trailer?
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Any top quality/premiun acrylic primer/undercoater should perform quite well. Behr primer will work just fine and a Behr finish paint with your choice of sheen ie: flat, eggshell, semigloss, or full gloss should do the trick. What is wrong with the Zolatone in your trailer?

Well, as it turns out its vinyl, not the zolatone. I was told that zolatone was it until fafter 69, but mine is a 68 and has vinyl.

Dave
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWFISH View Post
I was told that zolatone was it until fafter 69, but mine is a 68 and has vinyl.
Actually, my research has shown that 1965 was the last year for Zolatone. It was a transition year...some vinyl on the flat panels & Zolatone on the endcaps. Vinyl clad walls came in with the Corning Glass windows in 1966.

Vintage Airstream Features

If anyone has a late 60's trailer with original Zolotone throughout, please let me know and I will reflect it accordingly.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #25

1959 26' Overlander
Denver , Colorado
air paint sprayer for interior?

We have a 1956 Overlander and we would like to paint the interior. Has anyone ever used an air paint spray gun for this? If yes, any advice? Thanks
jandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Kani & Jack,

Great job on the interior! I went to the BM site, but the paint they have is Natura, available this Spring. Maybe this is replacing the Aura collection?

BTW, what did you use to redo the wood on your partitions? That looks really nice. Also, what finish did you go with for the interior, semi-gloss?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
We went with the BM bonding primer and had it tinted to the lightest color we were using. If using one color have the primer tinted to that color. It helps with the coverage.
I love the low VOC paint. I painted while my husband was working on the bath area and neither one of us noticed any fumes at all. Awesome.
Try this Benjamin Moore & Co. and yes it is semi gloss.

The wood in the AS is Birch. We gutted the interior and built the partitions and cabinets ourselves...I always say WE ...meaning MY HUSBAND...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Kani & Jack,

Great job on the interior! I went to the BM site, but the paint they have is Natura, available this Spring. Maybe this is replacing the Aura collection?

BTW, what did you use to redo the wood on your partitions? That looks really nice. Also, what finish did you go with for the interior, semi-gloss?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Kani,

Thanks for the link, it worked. That Birch looks really nice! Where did you guys get the lumber?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Some of the wood we had a friend order and some we got at Home Depot.

If I were you I would paint the walls and cabinets you have with 2 or 3 of the BM colors. Your rig is in great condition (I took a look) and I think you could do some awesome things with a good cleaning with TSP and some Aura Paint. The thing I like about this paint is that no matter what color you pick all the other Aura colors go with it...it's amazing really. Ask them to demonstrate this for you..

Quote:
Kani,

Thanks for the link, it worked. That Birch looks really nice! Where did you guys get the lumber?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
You can buy these little bottles of paint and try them out in the AS at different areas to see if you like it. Color Samples
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandh View Post
We have a 1956 Overlander and we would like to paint the interior. Has anyone ever used an air paint spray gun for this? If yes, any advice? Thanks
My advice is to mask, protect anything and everything you do NOT want paint on. It takes a little longer to mask things, however you can apply
the primer and finish paint much faster and with no brush or roller marks.
If your trailer is gutted it's easy to spray. Apply light tac coats so the paint does not run or drip.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Some of the wood we had a friend order and some we got at Home Depot.

If I were you I would paint the walls and cabinets you have with 2 or 3 of the BM colors. Your rig is in great condition (I took a look) and I think you could do some awesome things with a good cleaning with TSP and some Aura Paint. The thing I like about this paint is that no matter what color you pick all the other Aura colors go with it...it's amazing really. Ask them to demonstrate this for you..
Thanks for the compliment! We love our rig, but the "period correct" look is getting old...time for something new.

I was toying with the idea of painting the walls, but I didn't know if the paint would stick to the "veneer".

I do like the color combos that BM has on their site. I'll have to head over to Ace Hardware this afternoon, or when I get time, and take a look at the Aura, as well as their new line Natura.

Thanks again.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
If you clean the walls and cabinets with TSP (I mixed it like triple strength) and let it dry real good then primer with BM bonding primer it should be great.
Keep in touch
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment! We love our rig, but the "period correct" look is getting old...time for something new.

I was toying with the idea of painting the walls, but I didn't know if the paint would stick to the "veneer".

I do like the color combos that BM has on their site. I'll have to head over to Ace Hardware this afternoon, or when I get time, and take a look at the Aura, as well as their new line Natura.

Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
You got it.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Thanks again.
In order for a good paint to adhere to the walls, you must first clean them so that they are clean and not sticky.

Next, if you want the paint to stay real long term, you must "scuff" the walls down with about 120 to 150 grit sandpaper. I medium scuffing will work.

The scuffing creates a surface for the paint to bond to, which is a must.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Thanks for the tips, Andy. Now it's just a matter of picking the colors we like.

BTW, for anyone interested, on a 1971 the front cap is plastic and the rear cap is fiberglass, if that hasn't already been covered. I can't vouch for the other years, but I assume that they are the same for the jet-liner interior years.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Curtain Material

We finally decided on Curtian material. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5043953.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	79742  
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It goes very nicely with the paint!

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
We finally decided on Curtian material. What do you think?
Now you did it.

You will have to add some palm trees, plumeria's, and orchids.

After that, you can sit back and relax with some Mai Tai's, and if you want to kick it up a couple of notches, some soft Hawaiian music in the background.

Hawaii, how dare you spoil us so much???

PS: Don't stop.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Sounds good to me Andy! We are Polynesian all the way baby!