Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by FWright
Hi Jack,

There is a 2003 International that had the same problem. There is also several posts on the AS website forum.

I am still frustrated that AS won't do anything about this problem. As several have found out that even if we do have them do the repairs they will no guarantee it not to happen again.

I would do the job myself but it is quite the ordeal as you have to take down all the cabinets to do it right. More than I want to take on right now as I am remodeling my house. Was hoping to be able to get it fixed prior to going back to Alaska but none of the AS dealers here will even touch it as it is quite the job.

I think there is a smoking gun on those mid 90's trailers since on this site they seem to be the years that we see the complaints coming from. I don't get to the company site as frequently so I haven't seen the reports concerning the newer trailers. This reminds me of the clear coat problems experienced by the later 90's trailers. Airstream was required to change clear coat formulas due to EPA requirements and really had some issues there. That led to them changing over to the precoated Alcoa aluminum panels.

Sounds like a poll would be in order to classify the years and numbers of trailers with the ceiling problems.

Here is a link to it.

Headliner Poll

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for creating the poll Jack.

FWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Just a comment: we stored our A/S in the heat of Texas during 2000 to 2003. When we returned from our duty post, most of the headliners were separating and hanging low! Camper Clinic II out of Buda, Texas took on the task of repairing the damage. It cost about $5,000 to restore the ceiling. That was about three years ago. Because the trailer was also hail damaged, it was a hard decision. But the decision was made easy when we started to consider the 'memories' we would be giving up if we had the trailer totaled. Instead, the insurance paid about $10,000 toward repair of the A/S skin and we footed the bill for the headliner. Camper Clinic II did a really good job and we are thankful for it. Good luck!

delongj is offline   Reply With Quote