Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Hey suz I believe these nice folks are talking about painting aluminum walls. NOT ABS plastic. There are scattered threads involving refinishing ABS on the forums somewhere, but no detailed explanations.

I know you have said your ABS is out of the trailer. Be wise and have this part professionally done. You are near a large metroplex , must be lots of shops to do it. Choose one carefully though.

You will be very sorry you did it yourself if it starts peeling off in 6 months.

BTW I have yet to hear from the gentleman you sent my parts south with. Also have you located the lantern you misplaced? Would like to consummaate the deal and move on to next dilemma , Please Advise.

Back to the subject at hand, I am interested in the "stone creations" look for the plastic end domes. Is this the stuff that looks like "granite" a dull speckled finish?
There is so much going on with faux finishing in the painting world right now, that I think the sky is the limt on re-doing walls in Airstreams if we can just know that the damm stuff will stick for a long long time. I have ridden in my 74 for a few miles and believe me everything is breathing, the walls do flex.

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We recently used the stone stuff to redop some large plastic planters. They look great, but the stuff feels like it would come off in a heartbeat if it was scratched even slightly, its dry but feels almost wet. I don't know if I would want to use it on any area in the Airstream without trying a very small spot to see how it goes.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Zolatone paint

I have a 62 Flying Cloud I just repainted on the inside. I happened to have a product called Polomyx which I think is essentially the same as Zolatone i.e. a waterborne carrier with discrete alkyd color droplets. I used a Binks model 7 siphon cup sprayer with a #36 tip. This tip is too small, but I was able to compensate by raising the pressure to about 50 lbs - it chopped up the color bitlets a little, but I wasn't trying to match anything so it looks just beautiful. Applying this is not rocket science - any halfway decent auto spray guy can apply this for you. It took me a total of 20 minutes to shoot the whole inside. Add 4 hours for prep/trim pull/masking and another hour for set up and take down and clean up and there you go! I'd bet if you got the stuff, and could pull the trailer all prepped up and ready to shoot, a slow body man would shoot it for fifty bucks. I know I would. Hope this helps! Andy.
Andrew M. Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas

POLOMYX is a Zolatone product. We tend to use the company name as the product name.
AIR# 123

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by ALANSD
We recently used the stone stuff to redop some large plastic planters. They look great, but the stuff feels like it would come off in a heartbeat if it was scratched even slightly.
It does need to be clearcoated to have any kind of chance of holding up.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote