Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Interior Paint--Vintage Trailers

OK, so I found my local "agent" for Zolatone paint.

After 6 weeks of trying to schedule a "look see" and bid for painting the trailer, I called today and was told that "the owner" doesn't want to do it. When I asked why, he said he wasn't sure about that application. When I told him that Zolatone was the OEM for Airstream for decades, the next reason given was "We don't want the liability."

So....these questions:

1) Should I paint it at all? There's no scratches, but it looks dingy. (I've been over it 3 times with Simple Green and citrus cleaners.) Will a quality paint job adversely effect the value?

2) Has anyone applied Zolatone himself/herself, and if so, how hard was it? The Zolatone site seems to suggest that there's some measure of skill involved (But if the monkeys I talked to on the phone today can do it, I'm encouraged).

3) Can anyone suggest an alternative that is: a) easy to apply; b) original looking; and c) durable?

Thanks for your help, Tom
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I don't care for the look and Idon't care about the value....cigarettte smoke yellow/tan-or should I call it lung cancer color- looks like crap. I scrubbed with with Krud Cutter and rinced it with clear water and again with vinegar water till the rinse water was clear.....painted it with Porter 184WB and let it dry of a week now I can put anything I want on it...laytex or enamel......Porter Paints tried it on a sample and It stickes and won't peal if ou get it clean.....geof<anything will look better than lung cancer yellow>
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Tom, At H.D., a cleaner by ZEP, Citrus cleaner & degreaser. This stuff cuts that crud better than any thing that I have tried, and I tried many products. Simple Green had been about the best I had found until this ZEP stuff. It's orange comes in spray bottles, and refill jugs. Give it a shot you will be smileing. Gloves are optional but recemended, rinse with clean water. Bob,
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Home Depot ZEP Products are watered down IMHO....Krud Cutter will clean it-if it can be cleaned.....Zip Rezeppa was my old sales/rep for ZEP Chemicles in the '70's.....I think he is still in Jail for Insurance Fraud.....good enough for him....he even ripped off my kick backs.....geof
Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
All I need to say is that I tried a sample that I got for free. It cut through the grim that was on the inside walls of my 64 Safari like nothing else that I have found. Bob,
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

what works for you-works best for you.....I offered an aturnaltive cleaning product-which with one spray bottle-cleaned all the lung cancer yellow off the whole inside of my '27 Overlander.....the guy that did the sh*t work only charged me $30 for 3 hours work.....It was the best deal I have ever had!....the girl who works for me went over the same inside top to bottom for $36 which took her 4 hours to do the whole thing twice....it's done and is painted in 184WB Porter on the walls=the floors are to be done with an oil Porter 164 this weekend.....then I start doing th finishing up.....geof
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, guys. I did try the Zep, and while it helped a lot, I'm still dissatisfied. Maybe I'll try the "Krud Kutter" before deciding to paint.

Man, I've already got about 8 hours in scrubbing the walls, and I've got to say that it's not putting me in the mood to polish.

God, I love this Airstream stuff! Can't wait to actually use the d**n thing!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
See I'm having to udo the mess in ours. The PO (my Father-in-law) painted the inside with semi gloss house paint...baby blue no less. Looks great with the brown couch! NOT. So we have to strip the bad paint job and then start over.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, Toaster. Just when you think you've got it bad, someone comes along on this Forum and let's you know that it could be worse.

There's a lesson for life there, I think.......

( The lesson is "BUY NEW!")
Old 05-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

removing paint could go easy or could be the hardest thing you have ever done in your whole life....depending on the materials used for stripping.....contact the manufactures first for their recommondations.....I had a peeling/flaking/not drying situation on aluminum which I used Liquid Nitrogen on a large swab......when the surface warmed up all the paint chipped and fell off on the floor and I sucked it into a vacuum cleaner....it was a lead based paint that had to be removed form a childrens hospital so sanding & chemicles were out....geof
Old 04-21-2004, 11:30 PM   #11
Commercial Member

fake zolatone

have done this to a couple trailers now.paint the inside of the trailer with a base coat,your pick. then go to home depot/lowes and get american accents paint, stone creations.spray. your pick.carefully mist the paint from about 2 feet away.to close gets muddy,or stripes.may want to try on something else first .can apply lite coats at first,let dry or will get muddy.then to desired tone.drys ruffer than zolatone but comes close to the look.cost me 60.00 to do 20 ft trailer

Quote:
After 6 weeks of trying to schedule a "look see" and bid for painting the trailer, I called today and was told that "the owner" doesn't want to do it. When I asked why, he said he wasn't sure about that application. When I told him that Zolatone was the OEM for Airstream for decades, the next reason given was "We don't want the liability."

So....these questions:

1) Should I paint it at all? There's no scratches, but it looks dingy. (I've been over it 3 times with Simple Green and citrus cleaners.) Will a quality paint job adversely effect the value?

2) Has anyone applied Zolatone himself/herself, and if so, how hard was it? The Zolatone site seems to suggest that there's some measure of skill involved (But if the monkeys I talked to on the phone today can do it, I'm encouraged).

3) Can anyone suggest an alternative that is: a) easy to apply; b) original looking; and c) durable?

Thanks for your help, Tom
buddysrvpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
http://www.rightergroup.com/product_...y_zolatone.asp
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddysrvpark
have done this to a couple trailers now.paint the inside of the trailer with a base coat,your pick. then go to home depot/lowes and get american accents paint, stone creations.spray.
I just used that over Krylon Plastic primer for the front end cap. It really looks great.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Have I misunderstood? After cleaning the ABS bath plastic, can one use fine sand grit and a wax to finish it off?? silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Hey suz I believe these nice folks are talking about painting aluminum walls. NOT ABS plastic. There are scattered threads involving refinishing ABS on the forums somewhere, but no detailed explanations.

I know you have said your ABS is out of the trailer. Be wise and have this part professionally done. You are near a large metroplex , must be lots of shops to do it. Choose one carefully though.

You will be very sorry you did it yourself if it starts peeling off in 6 months.

BTW I have yet to hear from the gentleman you sent my parts south with. Also have you located the lantern you misplaced? Would like to consummaate the deal and move on to next dilemma , Please Advise.

Back to the subject at hand, I am interested in the "stone creations" look for the plastic end domes. Is this the stuff that looks like "granite" a dull speckled finish?
There is so much going on with faux finishing in the painting world right now, that I think the sky is the limt on re-doing walls in Airstreams if we can just know that the damm stuff will stick for a long long time. I have ridden in my 74 for a few miles and believe me everything is breathing, the walls do flex.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We recently used the stone stuff to redop some large plastic planters. They look great, but the stuff feels like it would come off in a heartbeat if it was scratched even slightly, its dry but feels almost wet. I don't know if I would want to use it on any area in the Airstream without trying a very small spot to see how it goes.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Zolatone paint

I have a 62 Flying Cloud I just repainted on the inside. I happened to have a product called Polomyx which I think is essentially the same as Zolatone i.e. a waterborne carrier with discrete alkyd color droplets. I used a Binks model 7 siphon cup sprayer with a #36 tip. This tip is too small, but I was able to compensate by raising the pressure to about 50 lbs - it chopped up the color bitlets a little, but I wasn't trying to match anything so it looks just beautiful. Applying this is not rocket science - any halfway decent auto spray guy can apply this for you. It took me a total of 20 minutes to shoot the whole inside. Add 4 hours for prep/trim pull/masking and another hour for set up and take down and clean up and there you go! I'd bet if you got the stuff, and could pull the trailer all prepped up and ready to shoot, a slow body man would shoot it for fifty bucks. I know I would. Hope this helps! Andy.
Andrew M. Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Andy:

POLOMYX is a Zolatone product. We tend to use the company name as the product name.

http://www.zolatone.com/content_polomyx.html

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
We recently used the stone stuff to redop some large plastic planters. They look great, but the stuff feels like it would come off in a heartbeat if it was scratched even slightly.
It does need to be clearcoated to have any kind of chance of holding up.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote