Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Smile Interior lining

How are the interior walls of an AS made, i am starting to check out some As units but dont understand the interior wall structure.
Am i looking at a lining backed by foam insulation with metal frames and outside metal skin. I often see crinkling or spot warping of lining and wonder how to fix it.

Bruce
Ajrandzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Interior walls ...

are aluminum sheet. Not as heavy gage as the outside walls, more like the thickness of the end caps.

Depending on the year and model, they may be coated with various finishes: Zolatone paint, foam backed vinyl, fuzzy cloth, or simply polished (current CCD line).
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Crinkling or spot warping of the lining is not a good thing. If there have been that many rivets that popped ther may be somthing wrong in the structure of the unit. Normally if a rivet pops it could just be from wear as the units flex and bend as they are towed. Many popped rivets along a rib line can be a problem.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thats a big help, i didnt realize there were several finishes. I will note the info on the warping as well. Thanks

Bruce
Ajrandzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Depending on the year and model, they may be coated with various finishes: Zolatone paint, foam backed vinyl, fuzzy cloth, or simply polished (current CCD line).
Also from '65 to sometime in the 70's, vinyl directly glued to the aluminum without the foam backing...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I have looked at several 96/97 wide bodies, that seem to have "headliner droop".......any comments?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Doesn't have to be old!

Quote:
Originally posted by George Jr.
I have looked at several 96/97 wide bodies, that seem to have "headliner droop".......any comments?
My 2003 International AS had an area of the fuzzy headliner drooping over the bed. The droop started as soon as it got really hot last summer. I popped out the trim strip and found that the affected area was tacky to the touch but not enough to hold the fabric. I sprayed the area above the liner liberally with 3M spray adhesive and it has been fine ever since..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
The recent adhesive must be pressure sensitive

The "fuzzy" lining material used over the last few years seems to be applied with a pressure sensitive adhesive. Our '02 Bambi had several "bubbles" where the adhesive had turned loose. The local A/S service center did take care of the original issues but then a few smaller ones (several inches across) starting showing up, noticable especially at night when the shadows from the lighting would accentuate things. I decided to see if I could fix the problem area by just using considerable pressure in the affected area. I used a broad, clean plastic tool handle and really put some pressure behind the effort. I can report that I was successful. The areas I reattacted with pressure alone have remained attached. In addition, there have not been in new areas.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

"Also from '65 to sometime in the 70's, vinyl directly glued to the aluminum without the foam backing... "

This was used into the late 80's, at least. Tough, but acquires a sticky feel to it that is not appealing. Inland RV recommends Futura Floor Wax to end the stickiness.

"I have looked at several 96/97 wide bodies, that seem to have "headliner droop".......any comments?"

This was a manufacturing issue, and it is well covered in the archives, somewhere. I do not know the range of years, but the problem appears to be that the foam itself disintegrates, and so the vinyl sags. There is apparently no simple solution in those cases. I understand some fortunate owners had theirs replaced under warrenty.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
I have seen the the foam disintegration problem

When we had our '02 Bambi at N Dallas RV last year, the guys commented on the newer material used in our unit. They took me into several units (MH and TT) where the whole headliner section had fallen due to the foam backing disintegrating. It was pretty apparent that A/S did not do any lifespan studies when selecting that product. While the new CCDs interior walls may be prone to scratches, at least they will never have to deal with the interior material falling off the ceiling or walls.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Re: I have seen the the foam disintegration problem

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbw
While the new CCDs interior walls may be prone to scratches, at least they will never have to deal with the interior material falling off the ceiling or walls.
So does anybody know if the interior aluminum has Plasticote finish on it (needing the care associated with that -- Walbernizing or whatever else...)?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:37 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Re: I have seen the the foam disintegration problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Canoe'stream

So does anybody know if the interior aluminum has Plasticote finish on it (needing the care associated with that -- Walbernizing or whatever else...)?
I guess we're fortunate in that our nearly ten-year-old foam-backed headliner is hanging on with (so far) no problems! I hadn't even considered that to be an issue when we bought it! Having never had a unit newer than '85 before, how widespread a problem is this? Is it only in the wide-bodies, or all trailers with the foam backed headliner?

It's my understanding that the new aluminum is coated at the Alcoa factory, pre-installation. Since the interior isn't exposed to weathering, I should think that an occasional wipe-down with a mild soap and water solution should keep it looking nice for years. I don't think an occasional coat of Walbernize would hurt anything at all, but I'd doubt it would be necessary.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Re: Interior walls ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska

I've looked at a couple of '91 Limiteds that appear to have vinyl adhered directly to the ceiling and sides, no foam backing, so I guess it was something still done at least into the early 90's?
bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Removing Vinyl coating

I recently bought a 71 Safari that has the vinyl coated aluminum and was wondering if anyone has every removed it and polished the aluminum. I'm assuming that since it is 'vinyl' maybe one of the leading paint strippers might do the trick.

?
muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

I mentioned this on another thread that when it is
cold the interior aluminum aft of the ac about four feet pops down or sags and looked terrable. When it's warm it wont' sag. I glued a rubber spacer just in front of the light aft of the ac between the outer and inner skin and that keeps the sag to a miminum.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote