Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Hey Rog,
I redid my cushions in " thick " bluejean. I like the vibe but the bluejean was
still too thin, and it always looks rumpled. I would suggest a thickish upolstery.
SJRV just did one in burgandy leather..................whoa.....way cool!
Mandolin Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Wink Seasonal Notions

Rog:

A few years ago, a female friend bought me a book called "Color For Men." I suppose she was giving me a hint; but at least it wasn't soap, underarm deodorant, new underwear, or mouthwash.

Anyway, the book had a very simplistic approach to color selection. Based on your body colors and the colors of clothing that looked best on you, you would use those colors to categorize yourself as a Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall. If you are a Winter the cool blues, grays, black and darker subdued colors were the choice. Spring called for light pastel colors. Summer meant you were best suited (no pun intented) for bright, flashy colors. If you were a Fall guy then earthtones such as brown, orange, and maroon were the way to go. You may refer to the other color choices available when selecting text color in the Forum's "Reply to Thread" for further examples.

Anyway, you may want to try that philosophy in your quest to determine how to dress out your Airstream. So from one color challenged guy to another, pick a SEASON and go for it; otherwise seek professional assistance. Good Luck!!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
.......This will largely be a function of the quality of your foam, and the price of good quality foam may be a bit of a shock as well. Note that you currently have cushions without upholstery buttons. I'd want to keep them that way if I were sleeping on them.

There are some threads in the archives on foam choices.
Like Mark said, go for it......

The AB talked me out of putting a 2" top foam of "tempurpedic" or similar "memory foam" on the couch or dinette -- If I had it to do over, there would be this type of foam in there -- you usually only get a chance to go around once!

One downside is the weight....it's pretty heavy.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #24
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I'm a guy. I am very grateful to all who contributed helpful advice. What I did was take the cushions to the upholsterer who is a Gal and did not know who won the 1984 World series. On the plus side, she is kinda attractive but I never dated her and don't think I'll wind up with obnoxious cushions. The wheat with the olive green swatch she showed me turned out to be discontinued so I told her to use her best judgement. Anything will be an improvement. I will post pics when done...approx 2 weeks.
Once again, thanks to all for the advice.
Now I gotta go scratch something.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
argh!

Considering that I'm lurking on the forum 24 hours a day, how did I miss all the activity on this thread?

Rog, if you ever need similar help, call me! I would never in a million years have charged you--anything I ever offer on the forum is just to be generous. Got a full-time job, a lucrative book contract & the OK-not-so-lucrative art sideline. The last thing I want from other forum members who have been so generous with me is money. But glad you found another attractive gal to help you out.

Marc, Dwell IS awesome. AD is getting kind of stuffy & incestuous & irrelevant. But it's still the holy grail for recognition, let's face it. I'll PM you details if I don't forget.

Stef, if you are going to be doing upholstery, GET A SOLID MACHINE. Bernina is my favorite, and you can get a basic used one for a few hundred dollars. Elna, Pfaff are other good brands. If you get a flimsy one you will be fighting it every step of the way.

Suz, not only am I not near Ikea, I would never GO near it.

OK, did I catch up with everyone?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #26
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Smile The new cushions are in.

I wound up with a wheat color, much brighter than the original olive green. The fabric is, uh, 50% something and 50% something else, scotchguarded of course. I think I like 'em.
Here's old and new:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug03#31.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	8145   Click image for larger version

Name:	cushions2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	8146  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Looks great and brightens up the place. Where will it stop. Cushions today, new interior walls tomorrow.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Playyyyyyaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Liberty Belle's cushions must be reupholstered. I'm a Guy.
I've found a local upholstery shop who will do the job affordably (less than the price of season tickets for the Detroit Lions) but they are asking me questions like which fabric, what color, etc. They have shown me about a zillion swatches and asked me to choose one.
I'm a Guy. I know who won the 1984 World Series and I know Michael Jordan's favorite brand of underwear but how is a Guy supposed to select a fabric for vintage AS cushions?
Maybe something to match beer stains or one that is dog pee repellant? Should I select a color that won't clash with the Dale Earnhardt poster on my wall?
A Guy can reasonably be expected to select a proper fishing lure or the correct load for skeet shooting but asking him to select a proper upholstery fabric is like asking his favorite quiche recipe.
I need help.
I'm a single guy w/ a dog...... Never been happier. I just had my upholstery redone by a little old lady up in Maine. She thought I was crazy why I picked out this. Maybe it was Auston Powers of maybe it was the paint stripper but I love um. Everyone I've shown has liked them. My advice (IMHO) is pick out what you will like and forget everyone else.... your the one (maybe a pet) that has to like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beds.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	8147  
Attached Images

RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote