Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Installation of white belt in bathroom (70's trailers)

I've installed the exterior blue belt line before. I've installed the orange belt line before. In both cases, I've had little issue with it. I've now purchased some white (1") belting for installation in the bathroom of my 74 Overlander. The original stuff has long since turned yellow and cracked and broken away. I went to install it and it's not nearly as easy as the exterior stuff. I bought it from the same place as always.

Anyone else done this and had the same difficult experience? It seems like this stuff is a bit thicker and therefore not as flexible as the exterior stuff. My next step is to have my wife help by holding a hair dryer on the section of belting being worked into the channel.

Thanks in advance.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I believe that they are different plastics, with the exterior one a vinyl and the interior an ABS plastic. The vinyl cups and goes in easy, the white plastic does not cup the same way at all. You may have to remove some end pieces to slide it in from the end.

I have chosen not to use the original interior material and have cut long strips from vertical venetian blind slats. They are available in many colors and materials and can be used in most all of the 70's metal trims which use an insert. A lot of the 70's units had dark walnut look plastic strips for inserts. Those can be re done. You can change your decor that way a bit. Another possibility is to use strips of plastic countertop laminate for any straight or slightly curved sections. It is too stiff to make sharp bends.

Happy decorating with trim.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
I am nearing the point of replacing my bath as my redo project continues (slowly!), and the entire channel/insert assembly is in pretty bad shape. Is there a replacement channel (not just the insert or cap) available to cover the seams and rivet lines on the plastic bath pieces?

Thanks for any help on this,

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Hi all, when we re-did our bathroom, we slid strips of textured white vinyl in the channel. I'm an upholsterer so have access to marine/automotive vinyl, but you should be able to buy it at any upholstery supply place. There are lots of color, textures, even metallics and pearl colors, if you so desire. It takes a bit to get the width of the strip just right, but it will stay in without glue once you get the width right.
AirstrmNewB is offline   Reply With Quote