Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Question Inexpensive Quick Slipcovers and Bed covers

Hi there - we are the proud new owners of a 1999 25' Safari. We are looking for a quick and inexpensive way to make the interior feel newer and look nicer. The trailer has the front sofa that folds out into a bed and a queen bed. We want to cover both with new material.

My husband wants to use a solid color fabric matching some color (dark green, dark red, or beige) in the panel of the existing wall fabric which looks pretty good. The original throw pillows look good, too - but the couch fabric is really faded.

I don't have the time or skill to make the slip covers, but I found some online stores that look like they may have enough options to provide the covers we desire. The pieces are inexpensive and we can get them quickly. Do you think we could make this work?
Custom seat cushion slipcovers

It seems like someone would have a good business idea to do this for RVs! Maybe there is something like it and I don't know - so please tell me, if so!

I'm thinking the elasticized cover might work as one piece on the bottom cushion - what do you think might work for the couch pieces?

The bed cover should be a snap! We are thinking of ultrasuede. If you have experience with any of these fake suedes, please let me know. They are supposed to be durable and washable.

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Try making your own...

We bought the fabric that we liked - sort of an ultrasuede and made our own... The green material is made into a "pocket" - in the winter, we can slide our down comforters inside for added insulation. Works well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Interior Bunk room curtains bed spreads.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	105680  

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawakoni1 View Post
I'm thinking the elasticized cover might work as one piece on the bottom cushion - what do you think might work for the couch pieces?

The bed cover should be a snap! We are thinking of ultrasuede. If you have experience with any of these fake suedes, please let me know. They are supposed to be durable and washable.

Thanks so much in advance!
It could definitely work. I'm in the middle of making new covers for my dinette cushions and it is a bit of a tedious job. My only concern would be that the elastic would fail pretty quickly. But, I live in Arizona and our AS gets like an oven inside while stored in the summer, REALLY.

Have you seen AZ Bambi Decors-beautiful work and I love the mix and match aspect. Get the basics and with a few new throw pillow, your interior can look new for every season.

Good luck and congratulations on your new baby!

Straw Cottage
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We used AZ Bambi Decors and love the way it turned out! I'll post some pics later (my fancy iPhone won't let me attach pics) but they were so nice and VERY good! I might have the make curtains later. Check out their site, it's amazing what they can do. Also doing new pillows to tie it all in us a great idea. Have fun and congratulations on your new adventure.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
thanks - I ordered a bunch of swatches so I can see the fabrics in person. Can't wait to try it out. I'm thinking of adding maybe two inches of the appropriate type of foam on top of the existing cushions (maybe velcroing it down so it doesn't slip), then ordering the covers for the combined height.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Who did you order the swatches from, the slipcover company? After I posted I thought if the covers are on with elastic it would be so simple to take them off and store them in you home when not traveling, Duh!

Please post photos when you get the finished product.

Straw Cottage
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Yes, I ordered the swatches from the slipcover online store. They give four for free, extras for $1 and they credit you up to $10 with a purchase for any swatches you paid for initially. I took the curtains down to dry clean today and OFF with the ugly valences! I wish I'd taken a picture before with them on, but I'll definitely remember to get the "before" shots prior to more modifications!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawakoni1 View Post
thanks - I ordered a bunch of swatches so I can see the fabrics in person. Can't wait to try it out. I'm thinking of adding maybe two inches of the appropriate type of foam on top of the existing cushions (maybe velcroing it down so it doesn't slip), then ordering the covers for the combined height.
An alternative to velcro is "no slip rug pads". I think the same material is also now being sold for shelf liner. Anyway, I've successfully used this between lots of stuff to keep from slipping - especially between slip covers and the couch fabric! I think it would work well between foam pieces too.

Good luck!

Laura
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
The no slip pads sound good! Any tips on the proper foam I could add? We will use the couch a lot to work on - with feet propped up on it, pillow against the side wall and laptop in lap! Probably won't use it much for sleep, but need it comfortable for sitting long periods. I know, I know - should be playing, not working - but we have to earn the money to stay on the road!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
There was a pretty good discussion of foam here. If you can, go to your local upholstery shop and ask to see, feel and sit on the different foam and get their input. Foam is expensive.

Straw Cottage
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
great, thanks - I'll look at that information and see if I need to know anything else. Anyone have experience with this to offer that's not in the referenced thread?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Oh, boy! I can hardly stand it! Tomorrow morning I pick up the trailer from the fabric place that redid our couch - new cushions, matching fabric on the wall panel and valences. I will post the results after we come home - Now it has new floors, new upholstery and pretty aluminum new wheels my husband couldn't resist when we replaced the tires. Silver Twinkie is almost ready for take-off!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
We have a 2003 International CCD and also wanted to cover the light blue ultrasuede-ish dinette cushions because light blue is hard to keep clean! I decided to do my own and with not much sewing experience at all, just went about it slowly...taking measurements of the existing cushions and using velcro instead of zippers. Im really happy with how they came out, and I got to use the fabric I wanted (Better Homes and Gardens Indoor/Outdoor). I think I'll start making more!

-Tiffani
www.weaselmouth.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	107939   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	107940  

Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Looks good, Tiffani...like the fabric! Very fun.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slipcovers