Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
This past weekend I used Krud Kutter to clean the walls in our Safari and it worked very well. I'll echo comments from other folks in that it has to be rinsed off really well!

I'm not sure if it was the wall paper adhesive or something else leeching out of the wallpaper in our 38 year old Safari, but after I sprayed KK on the walls (I worked on a 3'x3' section at a time) after a minute or so a tea colored substance started to form on the walls and it smelled really bad! It smelled similar to cleaning old rancid grease with a very powerful cleaner. I cleaned the walls twice and once they are fully dry and Krud Kutter odor has dissipated I'll seal the walls with Future wax.

This stuff definitely cleaned the walls well, but make sure you ventilate the trailer when you use it.

pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Dear PickerDD,

There was no conventional wallpaper adhesive used to produce the laminated aluminum sheeting used to produce the interior walls of your trailer and therefore there is no leeching of adhesive. As explained in post 13 above, there is a liquid plasicizer in the formulation of the PVC laminated material. Read post 13 above for details of the cause of the problem.

The interior wood panels do use a solvent based adhesive to laminate the PVC film to them. It breaks down over the years and the vinyl loses plasticizer and shrinks. This causes shear stress to occur in the bond and the vinyl frequently pulls loose from the plywood. The only solution to that is completely removing the vinyl film and then using contact adhesive to relaminate the panels. You may chose to buy new vinyl film at that time as it is difficult to remove and reinstall the vinyl without wrinkles.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
dwightdi,

Thanks for the clarification. Once I get all the walls clean (I plan to clean them again to remove any residual substance the first cleaning missed) I'll apply the wax Andy mentioned in a previous post to seal the walls.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
*Note: For the Vinyl coated liners, not the end caps...

I tried three or five, maybe seven graffiti removers and other high strength cleansers and was as sickened by added overpowering fragrances as the original smellynast the trailer had when I got it, or the fact they didn't work, plus all of them left behind a film semi-bonded to the plastic especially visible as shiny spots & streaks when viewed from an angle.

This summer I went back over the trailer using Windex (off-brand) with 5~7% Acetone and 3~5% 2-butoxyethanol. An easy source for the butoxyethanol is 'dry erase board cleaner' found in office supply shops but I bought mine online in gallon quantity ($18) and an easy source for the Acetone is 100% pure Acetone fingernail polish remover found in large bottles in some discount stores.

A quote from Wikipedia "2-butoxyethanol... ...provides cleaning power and the characteristic odor of Windex and other glass cleaners... ...is the main ingredient of many home, commercial, and industrial cleaning solutions; such as SimpleGreen..."

It takes many fresh paper towels to keep from redistributing the oily glaze this cleanser produces, and several wettings but gives a paper dry finish without any odor AFTER the surface dries and the soiled towels are removed from the trailer - it worked so good I thought I'd can it and sell it here - but the idea it might damage someones brand new trailer or remove the print off some obscure warning label stopped that idea quickly.

Anyway - the above mix chewed through 35-year-old grime under the galley and behind overhead storage racks when I stripped the interior this summer and just wanted to share it with y'all.

2-Butoxyethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
vinylclad interior metal

Once the vinylclad gets sticky, cleaning it is very time consuming.

Once it's clean, apply a couple of coats of "Future Acrylic Floor Polish" to it.

That will protect the walls from getting sticky again, as well as making them look great.

That polish is available at most any large grocery store.

This subject has been covered in depth, many times in the past on this Forums.

Andy
Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
If you're sensitive to harsh smells, Trader Joe sells a great product that we use.
It's called "Cedarwood & Sage Multi-purpose cleaner".
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2000 30' Limited
Austin , Texas
Note of caution with all cleaning chemicals: Please be sure you know what you are working with. The 2-butoxyethanol is eye and upper respiratory tract irritant (right, no kidding) but it is also listed by the International Agency on Research for Cancer as a "confirmed animal carcinogen with unknown relevance to humans". Other notations include potential reproductive issues (important if you want kids). Please use lots of ventilation to provide fresh breathing air.

Be safe and Cheers!
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We use this, however we don't have anything sticky going on---but this simple dollar store product has never let us down when it comes to giving the walls and ceiling a good 'one time' cleaning....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2881.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	90085  
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My ceiling felt like fly paper when we bought our trailer. We used Mr. Clean magic eraser. We give our ceiling a quick clean with Mr. Clean Magic eraser before we go camping. It works well. You will go through several the first cleaning you do. Also you will need some elbow grease on the first cleaning. Not really that bad when cleaning it. It will take all the sticky dirt off. My ceiling looks like new. I have had several people walk through my trailer and they all compliment that it looks factory new inside. Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Brian
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
You can usually get the "Mr. Clean" type sponges in a larger size at your local janitorial supply. They are of course an generic brand, but since they disentegrate quickly buying the small size at say Walmart would get costly.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
My ceiling felt like fly paper when we bought our trailer. We used Mr. Clean magic eraser. We give our ceiling a quick clean with Mr. Clean Magic eraser before we go camping. It works well. You will go through several the first cleaning you do. Also you will need some elbow grease on the first cleaning. Not really that bad when cleaning it. It will take all the sticky dirt off. My ceiling looks like new. I have had several people walk through my trailer and they all compliment that it looks factory new inside. Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Brian

+1 on Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I used it on our door, at the bottom edge, and all of the black crap that was on it disappeared.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post

Brian
Brian.

To make the vinyclad look newer than new, apply a couple of coats of Future floor acrylic to it.

For your piece of mind, try it on the ceiling near the center of the trailer, about one square foot in size.

Then look at it from the front and rear of the inside of the trailer.

If you don't like it, it can easily be removed.

Further, it forever stops the "sticky".

Andy
Old 11-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Andy:

I will have to try that but first I need to order some of those plastic pieces that hold the windows up. You will be hearing from me. I have hit a lul in working on the Airstream. I want to replace every one on my 1973 overlander. I also need to get the plastic latch that keeps the entry door open. The piece on the trailer is good but the part it latches on to on the door is broken. You will be hearing from me really soon.

Brian
Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I also have a few of those 'plastic pieces' that have gotten old (or something) and will be looking to replace when time permits. Hey Andy- what are they called anyway?