Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

1956 22' Caravanner
stoke , bucks
How to paint over Zolatone from a 1955 airstream

I have looked through the forums and can not find the exact answer and very confused!HELP PLEASE! I need to paint over the original Zolatone - sorry I know it is a sin! I have been reading the links and am confused more than ever can anyone give me a simple answer on what I should do. I have given it a quick rub down and cleaned it with orange cleaner and just need to know what type of paint i can use on top - I just want it a plain colour no zolatone. Thank you for your help in advance!
gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Paint woes...

Hello, I'm Chris, and am a painter by trade, who happens to be readying himself to paint his '55 FC. I stripped mine to the aluminum, however, either way, you should first apply a bonding primer coat that is tinted 50% the finish color. Zolatone has a primer that would work best, but pricey. It can be sprayed with an airless, like any other material you'll find for the project, and can be top coated with whatever. As for the paint for the top coat, well, I would use Iron Clad from Benjamin Moore. It is made for metal, and is an oil based paint, not too fun to work with, but very tough. If you go for a latex product, then make sure it is a 100% acrylic paint. I read a guy used Sears Weather Beater exterior paint and was happy. Make sure it is top of the line, you won't use much, and the few extra bucks will be well spent. I an reapplying Zolatone with a Vintage look. Check out my Air-Forum pic site: Member's Photos - Photo Gallery.
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifford View Post
I have looked through the forums and can not find the exact answer and very confused!HELP PLEASE! I need to paint over the original Zolatone - sorry I know it is a sin! I have been reading the links and am confused more than ever can anyone give me a simple answer on what I should do. I have given it a quick rub down and cleaned it with orange cleaner and just need to know what type of paint i can use on top - I just want it a plain colour no zolatone. Thank you for your help in advance!

Gifford,

I have no idea where you're located, but for Zolatone 101, you should have been here this weekend - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-61010.html

Chris, love the Aqua frame, and a very good substitute lesson, thank you, for those who were not in Albuquerque at the Rally!

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
For any paint to properly adhere, you must "SAND" the Zolotone with 120 to 150 grit sandpaper.

Scuffing it will not do the trick. "Sanding" will prep the surface for a paint to bond and stay.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
We went with Iron Clad from Benjamin Moore on our 1965 Caravel in 2006 and it still looks perfect today, we used the little 3" roller. $50.00 a gallon.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
1959 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
For our '53 we prepped it with just a good scrubbing (got the texture off) and painted it with eggshell finish latex paint in a butter color - I think we used Behr from Home depot. That was three years ago and it still looks great. We kept the original zolatone inside a couple of the cupboards for nostalgia sake. Here's a before and after shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 2006 to March 2008 684.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	104798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1088.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	104799  

2Taylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #7

1956 22' Caravanner
stoke , bucks
Smile

Thank you everyone - gosh that rally sounds FANTASTIC!!!! Still confused though - sorry I have a small brain! - Benjamin Moor Iron Clad with a roller sounds like my route I want to take - however there is a range of Iron Clad! - sorry to be spoon fed ! - IronClad®Latex Low Lustre Metal &Wood Enamel

IronClad®Metal &Wood Primer

IronClad®Low Lustre Metal &Wood Enamel
IronClad®Super Satin Finish Enamel
IronClad®Alkyd Low Lustre Metal &Wood Enamel
So I think from that list I need either the latex or the alkyd - but which one? What is the difference? what do they mean?- yikkes! And using one of these I just pop that on with a roller and just do afew coats and don't need to do different stages with differenrt types of paint is that correct? - I need an easy simple life!
gifford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1955, interior walls, zolatone, interior finish, paint