Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Question How to install mini-blinds?

I have a 97 Safari. I would like to install mini-blinds over the windows. I've installed lots of blinds in my house, which usually means putting a wood screw into the wall in order to hold up the casing that the blinds hang from.

Can I do the same in my trailer or am I in danger of piercing the outer skin? What is the best way to hang the blinds?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I'll follow up with pictures and a report.
m4dc4p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
You can pop rivet the brackets in place or use sheet metal screws to attach the brackets . A little thread lock on screws if used to help keep them from vibrating out. You have 1.5" between inside and outside walls, so unless you use really long screws you'll be ok. 1/8" Aluminum pop rivets, or stainless steel sheet metal screws, 3/4" long screws is more than enough. Pre-drill for screws, google pilot hole size for sheet metal screws for the size you use , #8- 3/4" stainless sheet metal would be my recommendation. Can be tough to get rivet gun inside the blind mounting bracket. Measure 3x drill once. Don't push to hard so you don't shoot through the inner skin when you're through it and start drilling the outer skin. If you wrap some duck tape about 3/4" from the drill tip it helps stop the but when you punch through.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
You can pop rivet the brackets in place or use sheet metal screws to attach the brackets .

#8- 3/4" stainless sheet metal would be my recommendation.
This worked out great. I used #8 3/4" sheet metal screws and had no trouble.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I used Riv-Nuts and machiine screws.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
My AS 94' has blinds, but the blind end brackets are plastic. While, pulling on blind string, the brackets broke. Home Depot sold me universal metal blind brackets for Bali blinds. I had to use screw spacers to install blinds with AS original screws.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have a '99 Safari. I have roll up shades on the side windows, but non on the end windows. Seems pretty stupid but anyway....I would like to install mini blinds or perhaps pleated shades with light blocking material on the end windows. I see tha that m4dcfp has installed some on his. Do you have the pleated curtains? What did you do about the metal "travel" tracks for the curtains. Did you just bend them out of the way? I was also thinking about "boxing" in the sides on the window treatments kind of like they do on more upscale motorhomes (prevost etc.) so that they move up and down inside that "housing". That also serves to "seal" up the sides. But for now, the main thing is I would like something to block the light and give more privacy. Any tips etc. are appreciated. Thanks.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
I would like to install mini blinds or perhaps pleated shades with light blocking material on the end windows. I see tha that m4dcfp has installed some on his. Do you have the pleated curtains? What did you do about the metal "travel" tracks for the curtains.
I have pleated curtains on a metal track. I just install the roller blind behind the curtains & below the track. The blinds don't roll up without assistance (I have to roll them up by hand), but the curtains serve to keep the blind in place too!

Hope that helps!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Thanks!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote