Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
How to install double bunks

Our trailer has the single twin in the hallway, what I would like to do is get rid of that whole contraption remove the upper cabinets and build bunk beds in place, for the kids. Any ideas or pics? I want to have bottom shortage in place of the old rollup doors under the current 1 bed.
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
I just brought home an Argosy 26 and am going to do the same thing. There was a post titled something like "we made a bunkhouse" for their kids and it had some good information. For me what is holding me up is trying to figure out how much spacing I want between beds and if I am going to get rid of one of the sets of storage drawers.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
There is a YouTube video on installing bunk beds in a camper that I'm going to follow. I'm going bring the bunks out to the width of the hallway with lift up storage underneath. For the top bunk I'm going to remove the overhead storage and put the top bunk just above the window. I hate those roll up storage drawers underneath the bottom bed/gaucho. My gulf stream bunk house camper was laid out with bunk beds and lift up storage doors, the open layout was great.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Thanks. I like the idea of open storage underneath.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We built bunks into our 89 excella for our seven kids. We built two sets of triples with the center bunk on each side hinged so that they can be clipped up out of the way so the bottom bunks can be used as a sofa. The seventh bunk folds up under the nightstand and unfolds into the space between the two sets of triples. We made ours out of Coleman camping cots because they are super lightweight and very comfortable. We make the frames out of oak since it is very very strong and matches the rest of our interior. I will try to post newer pics, the ones on here are from when they were not quite finished.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
All, please send or post pictures & construction details. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We built a dinette in back where the gaucho was and then added ledger boards for a removable upper bunk support. There are pictures here.

Our upper bunk crosses in front of the window, so the open/close levers don't work when the bunk is in. We only use the bunk when our adult kids join us at Burning Man, where the windows are sealed anyway. Here's a picture of the dinette in its eating configuration. The bunk board rests on top of the ledger behind my husband's head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_1079.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	177762