Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
how to get like new, the fake-wood laminated panels ?

Hi the community;

is-it possible or is-there a miracle product, to get, as the original genuine color, all the marron fake-wood laminated plates inside my 71' overlander ?
All are a bit fair, with the time, and i've tried some products without results; Some guys recovered that with vernish but i doubt they get a good color ( genuine marroon ) after that.

can you advice me;

Thank you, by advance;

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Buno,

I have never seen the simulated woodgrain in person, but here's what that typically is: a photograph of real wood printed onto some sort of vinyl or plastic sheet, then glued to plywood. I am not certain what you are asking to do. Do you:

a)want to fix a damaged finish or refresh old dull finish?
b)recolor the wood to a different shade?
c)put new simulated woodgrain where it had previously been removed?

If a), then use some sort of plastic restorer, that is used on laminated counter tops. Lemon wax, floor wax, even carnuba car wax may brighten it up quite a bit. Some others here may have other ideas as well.

Just remember what Inspector Clousseau said "Is it French Wax or English Wax?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Hi the community;

is-it possible or is-there a miracle product, to get, as the original genuine color, all the marron fake-wood laminated plates inside my 71' overlander ?
All are a bit fair, with the time, and i've tried some products without results; Some guys recovered that with vernish but i doubt they get a good color ( genuine marroon ) after that.

can you advice me;

Thank you, by advance;

Bruno.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
fake wood recovering

There are several companies who make fake wood decal material like 3M an avery. It was used to make fake wood station wagon sides and furniture. Available about 32 to 42 inches wide in 20 foot long rolls. I do not know where to buy them currently but Goggle should help. I used to pay about $.50 per square foot.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Not clear...

OK, I think I was not clear in my question so I add a picture now;

I' m talking about this kind of laminated cover ( the fake wood ) that we have on the fridge, the table, all the sides on the kitchen, on the door and wall between the bedroom and the bathroom.... the color is marroon and I think that Airstream wanted to be like wood .
With the time, the color is fair so i search how to get it like new.

Bruno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	21127  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
the picture

Eh ... the picture

bruno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	21128  
Old 05-07-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Bruno,

in europe you could try abet laminati from italy, many of the furniture manufacturers in europe use it. You could also go to a woodshop and ask them to show you their collection of laminates. Maybe you can get some samples to find the right match to your interior.
Another big big manufacturer of laminates is Resopal they are from germany as far as I know,but they also have a sales rep in belgium.

Good luck!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Hi Bjoern;

Thank you to give me links about the laminated woodgrains i've called fake-woods so i want to keep the genuine laminated of my Airstream and just give his original colour with a miracle treatment or liquid that I don't know if that exist...

May be nobody has thought in restauring that ? i'm a bit surprised.

thank you one more time.

bruno.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
No solution ?

Hi again, sorry to insist on this subject so NO solution to get like new, the woodgrain interior ? How you do when you restaure the interior... You polish the outside aluminum like mirror and nothing inside

thank you , by advance to give me advices.

Bruno.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:39 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bruno,
They are a plastic laminate. Mine gets cleaned with a mild detergent and a soft bristled brush. If your's has discolored there may not be anything that can restore it.You could try a light coating liquid car wax. I know that if you deep scratch plastic laminates there is nothing that can be done to repair. You have to replace the damaged piece. I have one piece that is badly damaged, but it is the big section over the fridge and pantry. I am going to replace it with a new piece of plywood, but use a sold color laminate on it. I priced a new sheet of the orginal stuff from the factory and it was about $400. Some manufacturer makes a laminate very close to the orginal in my trailer, but I have yet to find a large enough piece to verify the grain pattern. IIRC it is a Wilsonart color.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Bruno, that's what we're trying to tell you. That material is a plastic with a fake wood grain graphic imprinted on it. If you had a photograph or a plastic laminate counter top that had faded, there is nothing you can to do "un fade" it. That's the pitfall of using "New" materials like these: they are much more difficult, if not impossible to restore, unlile wood and metal, where you essentially physically remove the top layer of the wood or metal to get at a protect surface below it. If you did that to the laminate, you would destroy it. Chemical colorings won't work because:a)I have never seen one specifically made for that purpose, and b)the laminate will not absorb stain or paint, the making it "cover" the surface instead of tinting or refreshing it.

I agree that if there is a solution to be found it is probably in either car-care, like waxes or Armor-all, or look to a building center where they have countertops for kitchens and see if they have any counter top care products.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote