Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
How to choose interrior design?

How do you pick colors?!

Something so simple can be frustrating because the colors and textures create the area that you will be living in.

So, we are picking floors and counter tops now. Should they match? Should the contrast? How do you know?

One flooring choice we have picked because it matches the green speckles in the zolatone. It's called Verdi Green.

And we are thinking of going with the Boomerang Formica using the same coloring, Aqua.

Is that going to be too much green? I'm ok with green. But its such a big step that I don't want to screw this up

These were just our first crack at a color scheme, we are really not tied to it. I just want some input on how you decide. Does it all match, contrast, or what?

1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Tim, I love the choices you've presented (but green's my favorite color, so I'm biased there). What are you thinking for upholstery and window treatments? If those will be in a different color (or a neutral), it would break up the green and keep it from being overwhelming. You can also accessorize with pillows, etc. in other colors.

Whether it all matches or contrasts is your preference. In our Safari, we went with contrasts - yellow/white floor, dark turquoise upholstery, silver laminate, and palm tree/hibiscus curtains. Our Caravel is different - neutral cream floor, cream curtains w/a subtle stripe, and dark green mambo barkcloth upholstery.

Get lots of flooring, laminate, and fabric samples, and mix 'em up until you find the combination that has you saying, "That's it!" Good luck!

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Hi Tim,
I'm not an interior designer or architect but have done this in my home a few times. Before you select your color palette for your interior I'd recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes and picking up a color book they have a ton of books to choose from. This way you can look at a color wheel and pick contrasting and complementary colors. Having all of the swatches of color from the paint to curtains to flooring and countertops it will be easier to picture the finished product. BTW I read your interview in the Summer issue of Airstream Life. Very good I had no idea how much work you put into your productions. Impressive.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Even though our Airstream is new, we still redecorated. We selected an existing interior from Airstream that was, shall we say, the least contrary to our personal taste. Originally we preferred Airstream's Amirillo interior, but that was discontinued. None of the other schemes appealed to us so we decided to combine the things that we liked best...Disney and Jimmy Buffett.

From that we selected an animal theme for our two boys who love Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park and purchased matching comforters for the bunk beds and our queen bed that had palm trees and Giraff prints in subltle neutral tans and pale greens. On the sofa we have combined the throw pillows that came with the AS with leopard print. We have palm tree pictures and Disney themed picture frames and large Mickey Icon throw pillows on the kids beds. This is combined with the Midnight Sun interior from AS. All of the plates have palm trees and the flatware has sea shells. On our awning we have Mickey Icon awning lights. Our out door table cloth has palm trees also as does the outdoor place mats. The indoor placemats are actually palm frond cut outs. There is a little more tropical than Mickey, but the two are combined for a fairly balanced, not overwhelming effect.

BTW, I'm an architect in my past profession but manage construction projects now.
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
I love the choices. Yes it is green but you still have the cushions and curtains to pick out. This will give you an opportunity to break up the green pattern.

For example - I'm renovating my 1966 17" Caravel - I selected Armstrong Fusion - Sweet Bamboo / Spring Green vinyl flooring with Wide Grain Carmalized Bamboo wood as the finish for the bed, dining room, galley. The floor is lite in color but the dark brown and the bamboo grain will be a nice blend. As you can see my theme is Bamboo.

Here's a suggestion which may help - What about picking a theme, like bamboo or cowboy or disco or fishing or whatever you fancy. Then the theme would help you choose the colors and blends.

My next step is to choose upholstry and curtains.
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I really like the table choice. Everything else I would say has been said above.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I too like your choices. For my present project I am doing a lighter oak laminate floor, will do the front room walls in aluminum, and I have painted the cabinets ( which already were painted yellowish white) with a sand flecked gray...flecks are blue.
We are doing burgundy curtains and wall pads in the bedroom, and will eventually recover the gaucho somehow to match... maybe a tapestry with burgundy in it. This is the fun stuff, personalization!!
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
"paint" it

I use my Paint program to preview any major modifications before making them. Here's a very rough preview of your flooring/countertop combination in the altered floorplan of a vintage Bambi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deco sketch.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	23531  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I am an interior designer by profession, no I don't do Airstreams for a living...only office, medical & retail spaces, the boring stuff.

The only additional comment that I would have to add to what's already been suggested is, that it is a good idea to use time enduring colors on the items you won't want to change before they wear out. If you LOVE the aqua on the floor & counter/table tops...go for it. It you think you may get tired of them and want to change them as trends change, it may be better to use more neutral colors on "the expensive &/or permanent things" and keep the accents for the easier, less expensive things to replace or things that wear out like upholstery. Marmoleum or vinyl floors should last 15-20 years as will laminates. Upholstery may only last 5-10 before they get stained or "ugly-out", thus are easier to change.

I for one like the aqua (have you seen my trailer?) but chose to keep the built-in stuff more neutral to keep it easier to change in the future, either by me or a future owner.

Now having said all that, vintage trailers are "fun and playful" and period correct color schemes don't really ever go out of style ~ fortunately, aqua is one of those color schemes that is pleasing to more people than say the avocado green, orange & golds of the 70's or pink & grey of the 80's.

Bottomline is, if you plan on keeping the trailer whatever you want & like. If you think you may be selling it before these items need to be replaced based on wear, you may want to consider using the accent color differently. Make sense?

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks everyone. Good points all.

Rog, that really helps seeing the picture like that.

Shari, you've got some good points. While I hope this will be the last trailer we need the point about the interrior that's hard to change getting old or tired of those type of colors is well received.

Gives us something to think about.

Thanks all!
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Mahwah , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Rog0525 View Post
I use my Paint program to preview any major modifications before making them. Here's a very rough preview of your flooring/countertop combination in the altered floorplan of a vintage Bambi.
very cool. what "paint program" do you use?
gabbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nevada City , California

One thing which is very important to keep in mind is to keep it simple by not introducing too many things in the small space. Don't try to fight the wood work or any of the other major items, unless of course you are into a total redo. Have fun no matter what you do. I just re-did my 1012 Flying Cloud -got rid of the large slab table. Had the couch extended to where the table once was. Upholstered this new wrap couch in Sunbrella's yellow and bought a shiny stainless steel bistro table. Bought some dramatic zebra black/brn pillows and love it for us. Personalize and hve fun doing it. I now have an adult AS and can seat 10 adults. Left the pull out for the grandkid's bed or they can sleep on the extended couch. Yea! We are having fun.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
For those inclined, Autodesk has released 'Inventor Fusion' which is a 3D modelling application for free. It's a bit more complicated than a 2D program for floor layouts, but if you have the time you can get a much better visualization of your project.

Friday is offline   Reply With Quote