Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Question How much Material for Couch

I have the 3 peice front window couch anyone know how many yards of fabric I might need?:rolley es:

Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Depending on the width and match my guess would be close to 13 yards-based on a couple I have had done in the past. Most fabric stores that sell upholstery type material should be able to give you a pretty accurate estimate.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think I used a lot less than 13 yards, but can't find my receipt
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, thirteen yards X 54"s seems like way too much. Are you going to cover the backs and bottoms too? Are you useing a directional design that will cause lots of waste? I bought ten yards to cover a guacho and love seat.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
We are getting an estimate tomorrow morning to reupholster our couch (including the side arm rests, guess it is considered a 3 piece front window couch). I will post what the estimate is along with how many yards of fabric they say it will take.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I bought 7yds to make mine and had very little left. That will cover the 2 main cushions and the arms.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Charlottetown , PEI
I had a seamstress recently measure mine for me. I had measurements to slipcover for both of the rear beds as well as the front couch. (The front couch slipcover does not cover the back completely, but fits onto the top like a pillow case to hold it in place)
She told me 5 metres for the back beds, and 5 metres for the couch, plus I plan to buy a little extra for the armrests, pillows, and bottom strip. 54" wide, so I would say that 7 yards should be good too for just the couch.
silverbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
13 yds? Wow. I guess that it probably depends on the *quality* of job being done. I managed to cover my front gaucho using the fabric from a queen microfiber-like coverlet. And that included removing & reupholstering the arms too. Course, if I had wanted to make piping, it would have required quite a bit more fabric. I choose to make mine slip-cover style with velcro though - no piping. But I have a couple other of the coverlets (bought 3 because of a super sale) and can re-do it in the future and will probably put pipin at the seams to improve the look!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wow - my "estimate" on how much fabric/material was a lot more than people are posting here, I think the guy was trying to rip us off... we were told about 18 yards. Keep in mind we were covering our couch and the arms at each end (the ones that open at the top w/storage below, standard on a lot of Airstreams) plus re-covering the comfort pads (one behind the couch and then on the door side and then two by the back twin beds). Still, 18 yards seems excessive and at a cost of $2,000. We decided we would have this guy do the work only to find we had other expensive issues with our trailer to fix first (leaks, etc) and called the guy up to tell him we decided against having the work done... the rest of the experience was not fun, this guy actually then wanted to charge us for his time giving the estimate and that led to talking with his attorney!! Luckily we did not have a signed contract for the work and ended up picking up our couch, etc from his shop (nothing had been done yet). From the estimate of material needed to the way this guy conducts his business, we won't go back in the future!!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
My estimate was for a hide-a-bed that had some design in the fabric and included the back.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
Keep in mind we were covering our couch and the arms at each end (the ones that open at the top w/storage below, standard on a lot of Airstreams) plus re-covering the comfort pads (one behind the couch and then on the door side and then two by the back twin beds).
I also had one arm done and the comfort pad. Still no where near his material estimate. I'm glad you got your couch back before things got hot and heavy. No signed contract, I think you are OK. At least once a year I am threatened with "calling my attorney". Never got a call from one yet. If you get more hassles maybe tell him you are going to file a report with Better Business Bureau and check on his business license. I bet he does not file taxes on all his income. The mere mention of the letters IRS will send shivers down the spine of the most bellicose upholsterer. And last but not least you could mention posting his information on the internet. Be careful what you say and to whom. This guy's head may not be completely full of upholstery foam and he could be litigous.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
Wow - my "estimate" on how much fabric/material was a lot more than people are posting here, I think the guy was trying to rip us off... we were told about 18 yards.
18 yards is a crap-load of fabric. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the estimate - but maybe question how efficiently it is being used. Piping can use a lot. And patterns can be arranged in different manners --- some more *correct* than others. But combined with the attitude, the estimate would definitely lead me to question the validity. Who needs that type of relationship - especially in today's economy.
I just stopped at an auto upholster to get my truck seat fixed (puppy chewed a 4x4 hole). It's going to cost me about $300 but that's because the fabric is only sold in 1 yard minimum. I need 2 seperate fabrics for the repair. I was there when the owner called Detroit to order and I heard him plead for 1/2 yard. Not in stock = yard min. We had an interesting discussion --- he told me that his 6-bay garage has been reduced to 1-bay and his 39 yr business is being foreclosed. He'll relocate down the street but was telling me his *retirement* is gone. He said at least twice "I need the work".
Also, when I tried to get some foam to add to my twin bed (to fit a 3/4 antique bed frame), I found that (2) long-time upholsterers have gone under! I remember these places being around since I was a kid and went there with my grandparents. So, I called my aunt (who lives in south FL) and asked her to get me foam since she had it cut a couple years ago for the same application. She called back to say they were not in business any longer. Sooooooooo --- upholsters are certainly having a difficult time.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Look for good deals

You might try an upholstery fabric wholesaler, if there's one in your area. I found great fabric for our three couches in the stuff ours had on clearance sale. $2 a yard can't be beat, and he gave me 23 yards for the price of 20. The curtains are done, haven't started the sewing for the couches yet.

As to the yardage, measure the couches present coverage from seam to seam. Allow extra for the seams you'll have to make. From there, it's basic geometry to find out how much can be covered with fabric of the width you're planning to buy. If there's a pattern to be matched, allow a lot of extra. For solid colors, allow at least a little extra.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
We bought 10 yards and had plenty left over! The uplostery shop only charged us a total of 285.00 great deal it sounds!