Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Canada , Ontario
How much fabric?!?!

Good Morning,

I am hoping some of you can help. We are looking to re upholster our 25' Safari SS. However, we are out of the country right now but wanted to have everything ordered for when return.

If we wanted to reupholster the dinette and couch, roughly how much fabric would we need?

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Prudenville , Michigan
Is it just a dinette? Do you have measurements of your cushions? What kind of fabric do you want to use? Are you having it professionally done? Are you going to try and do it yourself? It's hard to say how much you need. You could call an upholster with your measurements and I'm sure they could give you a quote. Many websites will help you figure out measurements. It's hard to tell are you doing curtains too? Not enough information for us to help.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
First, always buy more material than you need as matching tints and dyes from different lots is a losing proposition if you run short.

Second, to answer your question accurately requires many more pieces of information than you supplied.

For example, are you interested in a single, uniform color without pattern? If a pattern, then you need to know whether the pattern itself runs along the width or length of the bolt; plus the repeat distance. Will you be doing all sides in the same material? Do you want plain seams or welting/piping, etc. Are you looking for a modern, contemporary look or tufted with matching buttons, etc.?

It would also help to see a picture of the particular couch and/or dinette (& dimensions) to better understand your particular scenario but since it isn't nearby...

To cover the basic variations, assume 6 (plain) to 9 (patterned) yards at 54" or wider for the couch and the same for the dinette as a starting point. Add more if you want piping and enough to make pillows, etc.

Personally, I have gotten away with as little as 5 yards for a couch while using my scrap/leftover pile for various elements and scrimping but I would not advise choosing that little without actual measurements.

Good luck

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Just recovered two gauchos in 76 Argosy 26 and used just under 20 yards included bumper cushion (2) front wrap on front of frame bottoms (2) arm rest (1). Mine had geometric pattern but other factors mentioned are all valid. But yes style and patterns are a consideration. Stripes and patterns that can only go in one direction tend to use more material.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1476153054.323093.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	273349
We just covered this and I think she used 6 yards ??? It's vinyl and very durable. I can find out for sure. Also I have some left over, I bought a huge roll if you are interested in purchasing some from me :-)