Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How do I fill holes in my old interior vinyl clad skin

So, we're planning to reuse and paint our vinyl clad interior skin once we reinstall it. One problem that I foresee is all of the old screw and rivet holes that will be visible after changes in window treatments, cabinet and fixture placement, etc. If these were drywall or plaster or even wood walls I'd know exactly what to do, but aluminum? And these walls will be bouncing around to top it off. So, epoxy? I'm looking for the solutions others have come up with. As I mentioned we intend to prime and paint the interior skin.
P.s. These holes are random and numerous. Filling them with more rivets would look terrible.
Thanks,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I built a aluminum endcap for ours and stripped the front walls to bare aluminum, since I removed our radio I also wanted the speakers gone so I could have patched but instead I made new skins for those areas. I had bought a roll from Aircraft spruce delivered to do the endcap so I did the same for the new panels.
I think a few rivets to fill holes is not the worst thing.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I had the same issue. I used all purpose bondo. Worked awesome! Primed and painted. You can even see the old holes. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	314677 I got the suggestion from many others on the forum. Work in small batches and it's sandable in 15 minutes. It's a permanent fix.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Bondo after the skins are reinstalled. Caulk all the seams then paint. It will be almost perfect [emoji106][emoji1]
Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
I built a aluminum endcap for ours and stripped the front walls to bare aluminum, since I removed our radio I also wanted the speakers gone so I could have patched but instead I made new skins for those areas. I had bought a roll from Aircraft spruce delivered to do the endcap so I did the same for the new panels.
I think a few rivets to fill holes is not the worst thing.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement Alan,
I wish it were just a few holes. It may come to some replacement, but hoping to avoid that at this point. Since my plan is to keep the skins as is (with vinyl cladding) a new unclad piece may stand out even worse.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugjenkins View Post
I had the same issue. I used all purpose bondo. Worked awesome! Primed and painted. You can even see the old holes. Attachment 314677 I got the suggestion from many others on the forum. Work in small batches and it's sandable in 15 minutes. It's a permanent fix.
Quote:
Bondo after the skins are reinstalled. Caulk all the seams then paint. It will be almost perfect [emoji106][emoji1]

Thanks for this suggestion Matt,

I've never worked with Bondo, so it hadn't occurred to me. Now it seems like the obvious choice! I appreciate your help and encouragement.
BTW, what type of primer and paint did you end up using?
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 06-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I used this for primer:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	314710
I then used a good interior latex.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
I used this for primer:Attachment 314710
I then used a good interior latex.

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 06-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #8

1964 30' Sovereign
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Since my plan is to keep the skins as is (with vinyl cladding) a new unclad piece may stand out even worse.

Pete

I'm in this same situation right now. I want to prime and paint the vinyl as is but there are a few pieces that have some mildew and some areas I would like to smooth out as I'm patching some ceiling exhaust holes I will no longer need. Any suggestions how to buy aluminum skins WITH vinyl so there is a better surface match?
Camp Ombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I have never owned a trailer with the vinyl interior, but I have seen several and know a little about the problems with old vinyl. Mainly that the adhesive can fail, and that the vinyl itself starts to get sticky/oily as it ages... and then there is the mold problem.
I would certainly CONSIDER reusing the old interior skins, but put in all new interior vinyl. Would cost more than paint, but should be.good for another 20-25 years. If you like the look and the warmth of the vinyl... why not keep real vinyl?

I have seen car restoration businesses do this kind of work, but have never checked out pricing. And with an Airstream what's a few thousand more?

With the bare aluminum, on cold nights I HAVE bumped a wall and wished for wainscoting because the cold is brutal when the hindparts hit the wall.