Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
How did you personalize your Airstream? - Time to redecorate!

WE have had our '88 excella for about 6 months now and we are finally starting to get some time to think about re-doing the interior. It has the typical late 80's color scheme of brown, brown and more brown. Very boring, so it's time to give it some personality!

This winter, we are planning to replace the brown carpet with some type of flooring, cover the couch and replace all of the drapes and bedding. So far we looking at Island/Tropical as the main theme, but are still open to other ideas.

We have really enjoyed seeing other redone trailers at the rallies this year, but would love to see more. I'm sure there are others out there doing the same thing. So if you have redecorated your trailer or still thinking about it, post here and please share pictures.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You should check out member TBRich (TB and Greg) and their posts. They do Airstream interiors as a business and it's fun to look at the different themes they've put together on their web site.

AZBambi Décors

Me, I decorate my trailer with dog hair!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
...So if you have redecorated your trailer or still thinking about it, post here and please share pictures.

hi mcair

in terms of PHOTO threads on this topic, there are many,

here are a few...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ics-54596.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...res-18995.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ior-25536.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ics-19828.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...all-47134.html

i suspect most who start threads like this are looking 4 ideas 4 their own trailer.

or just nosey....... .

most extensive interior makeovers and extreme dec-or-a-ting ideas end up in threads about a specific trailer or redux.

just 2 examples but ALL of the rebuild threads include interior ideas...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ead-10521.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...dux-23481.html

for modern units there are many threads on personalizing units like this one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...ast-29471.html

then there are threads on alternatives for sofas, dinettes, lounges, bedrooms, curtains, upholstery, flooring, walls cabinets...

and so on.

so look around, THAT is the idea...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
We have traded for a 2000 34 with Sofa SO and are redoing the interior beginning with having the carpet ripped out replacing it with Pergo. The sofa is being reupholstered in ultra leather and we are covering the cornices also in the ultra leather to match. New curtains are being made and we have removed the wall in the bathroom to make the bath extend across the hall to the mirrored closet doors. We have added fantastic fans(manual) with the Max Vent covers so we can keep the fans open without fear of rain. When completed, I will post some pics. I really enjoy threads where others have posted the interior redos.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Ultra leather sounds nice but is probably too pricey for the budget. Cheapest I've found it is around $40 yard. I did finally order a piece of fabric today so we are officially started. It is a colorful piece of cotton with flamingos on it and wind up somewhere in the bedroom. Most likely as part of the new bedspreads or accent pillows. Have looked at lots of fabric on ebay. Theres plenty to chose from. I am in charge of all of the sewing and hubby gets to do the floor.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Here's a few links to online fabric sites:

Elkabee's Fabric Paradise.com, LLC

Fabric - Discount Fabric - Apparel Fabric - Home Decor Fabric - Quilting Fabric - Save up to 70% - Fabric.com

Decorative Fabrics Direct - Upholstery and Drapery Fabric At Mill Direct Pricing !

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
We have traded for a 2000 34 with Sofa SO and are redoing the interior beginning with having the carpet ripped out replacing it with Pergo. The sofa is being reupholstered in ultra leather and we are covering the cornices also in the ultra leather to match. New curtains are being made and we have removed the wall in the bathroom to make the bath extend across the hall to the mirrored closet doors. We have added fantastic fans(manual) with the Max Vent covers so we can keep the fans open without fear of rain. When completed, I will post some pics. I really enjoy threads where others have posted the interior redos.
I don't have the time or the talent to do the work myself but we have found some good craftsmen to follow my wife's directions.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
mcair,

We made some upgrades that worked for us. The need to renovate, though, was based on our Safari's original condition. We really had no option other than to completely gut the interior, so that gave us the opportunity to do what we wanted.

Some things we did to personalize the interior:

Replaced the dinette with a slide out queen sized bed, where we could each get out on our own side. (We couldn't find what we were looking for, so we designed and built it ourselves.)

Palm tree theme for the bath

Pergo flooring run lengthwise. (Next project we'll try side to side - I've seen a couple done that way and I think it looks pretty good.)

High gloss finish on the cabinets (most were original.)

Built-in eight bottle wine cooler (just enough to get you from one vinyard to the next - go with a 12 bottle, to give some margin).

Wine glass holder over the sink. Built-in microwave oven below the range.

Ducted air conditioner, inside to keep the exterior as original as possible.

Electric fireplace - so you can set the mood, even in the summer when you don't want or need the heat.

There are a few photos on our website; 64airstream.com (under "Renovating" and "More Photos")

Good luck with your redecorating.

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
64airstream - why type of electric fireplace did you install. Thanks. Bill
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Where did you put the fireplace? Sounds cool! I'm ready to have some fun now with this. So far all we have done is replace things. Refrigerator, one tire and now the converter.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Bill,

I don't remember the brand name, our challenge was finding one that was relatively shallow. We searched the internet and eventually found one that was only 5 inches thick. The deeper ones give a more realistic fire effect, although this one isn't bad. Believe it or not, we bought it on eBay, but from one of those online stores that just uses the system. The unit was new. Also note, it has an electric heater at the top that has three heat settings and will take the chill off on a fall evening when your hooked up to land power.

mcair,

We built a custom cabinet that holds the air conditioner ducted into the bottom, the refrigerator above that, and the fire place built into the side facing the sofa/bed. I'll attach a couple of photos that Steve took at the Wilds.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2237[1].jpg
Views:	197
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	89322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2246[1].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	89324  

Attached Images

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
thats really neat-think I'll be checking that out. How many amps does it use?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
danalee,

The light for the "flame" is next to nothing. We easily run the fireplace "flame", refrigerator, fan, lights, and charge the batteries with a 1000 watt generator. The heat has three settings, the max is about 1200 watts with a little fan, so roughly 12 amps. I wired it into the new circuit for the air conditioner, figuring it would be rare to be running the heater and the air conditioner at the same time, but running the "flame" while the air was on wouldn't be an issue.

Good luck,

Roy
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I personalized my 77 the day I brought it home and backed into my golf cart,most popped out ,but I know it is there.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I personalized my 77 the day I brought it home and backed into my golf cart,most popped out ,but I know it is there.Dave
Ourback end has a dent on the top courtesy of a previous owner. Fortunately we have not "personalized" that way yet.