Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
That is the blue I was searching for.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I liked the Madusa so well that I mixed it with another color because I did not want a neutral color. I know you will like the choice you made.
That's the medusa? It looks nothing like the sample! Do you have a close up? I like it

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
That's the medusa? It looks nothing like the sample! Do you have a close up? I like it
His picture is Medusa grey mixed with another color. There is nothing BLUE in my interior, and would never go that route. I thought about mixing Medusa and silver grey, but also like the look of Rob Baker's 58 SOTR. My woof color is similar to his, and he mixed the desert camo with silver grey. Insideout told me that desert camo looks Peachy, but doesn't in the website.

Steve
Old 07-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
claremore , Oklahoma
soldiermedic,
Not to try open a can of worms,but I found out that there are two types of Zolatone.(both called Zolatone) The original was solvent based,and,there is also a water based!(zolatone.com) The water based is much cheaper(I didn't price solvant based) and safer to apply. It is being used on building walls and had a tremendous selection.(supposed to be just as durable as solvant based) I recently did my 1955 Bubble with it so I have some experience applying it. Not sure what the going price is for solvent based Zolatone,but I paid $80 per gallon I believe.Hope this helps!....walt...tulsa,ok
Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Can Opener please...

The Zolatone that was originally used in Airstreams was the solvent based. The water based is aesthetically "the same" but I don't think it holds up to the extreme temperature swings and rigors of travel. I am an interior designer and have specified the water base for interior projects where the climate is controlled, but opted for the AIM (Automotive, Industrial. Marine) version when we did our trailer feeling it was more suitable.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	can of worms.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	163664  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would like to throw in my two cents Steve...
Zolatone can indeed very easily be touched up as Shari stated. I also takes very well to being shot again using a spray gun.
The sample you are given by the manufacturer is a possibility, not an actual result. There are many variables that will effect the final out come. The color of the base coat can have a dramatic effect on your final out come. Most people use a white primer, but there are over 350 "whites" offered by three major paint makers. A warm white versus a cool white can drastically affect the final outcome. You mentioned Rob Bakers zolatone and that was two different colors shot one on top of the other creating a custom blend.
Another serious variability is the needle size and pressure of the gun. The finer the paint coming through the tip, the more subtle the blend will be. The paint works by not only being broken up by you stirring it, but the atomization of it passing through the tip. The paint is further broken up when the blobs hit the wall and burst into many tiny bubbles of paint. The force with which it leaves the gun and how far the gun is from the wall have a drastic effect also. All that in a nut shell means that once you start at it, you must remain consistent until the very end.
On a final note I must add that even though the product is no longer solvent based, it contains some very noxious carriers. I have sprayed numerous products over the years and posses some very high end person protective equipment. Zolatone is without a doubt the most intense material I have ever come in contact with. I want to strongly express it is NOT a product for the intimidated or sensitive to chemical exposure. It totally took over my mask and literally had me seeing triple. I was physically ill after spraying it and would never think of spraying it again without a fully protected breathing system with make up air. Even 24 hours after it was sprayed, the fumes still had me coughing.
All that caution aside, it is an awesome product. The results are worth every bit of effort it takes to apply it.

I like the first sample you posted. It is a bit richer than the second one...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I worry about medusa grey being too dark alone..maybe mix with silver grey.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Crunch time on the paint selection since Uwe needs to order the paint today!

We really like the 50/50 colors like Rob Baker used, but I worry about the look. Perhaps silver gray may end up being the best choice. Uwe is calling Colin Hyde about his thoughts and then we will make a choice.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I very much like the Medusa.

I also worked for a Zolatone contractor in several high end homes for a few months doing the incredibly tedious prep work some twenty-plus years ago. And the final job was in a set of public rooms where I was to meet with others for a period of years in a volunteer organization. The surfaces held up very well, the three-tone was always a welcome as background to other colors in the rooms (carpet, changed several times, plus drapes/blinds, then chairs and other) and I was always secretly proud to have been involved in making some ugly old office space into something grand (our time was donated and materials were at wholesale). I am no fan of bare interior aluminum (except as trim) and Zolatone would be my very first choice. 3,4 or 5 color would be a palette from which to work for several decades.

Like an Airstream itself, the choice of ZT, alone, is the important one.

Let me add that a lighting plan (fixture placement, not just type) will be what matters after application for the full effect. Cool versus warm, etc (with real depth inside of that).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
After Uwe had a chance to speak with Colin Hyde about Rob's zolatone, we decided to go with silver grey. There was no way we were going to come close to Rob's SOTR and we picked a color that resembles a raw aluminum interior (which is what we wanted, but cost prevented).

Steve
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I think you made the right choice anyway... Awaiting pictures . Just out of curiosity why couldn't you replicate Robs SOTR?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rob's paint job was not a 100% zolatone job. It was sprayed with a base color of latex paint, and then the two zolatone colors were sprayed as a splatter coat over the top. Uwe and I both think that the silver grey was the way to go. I have a bunch of pics of everything masked off and ready for spraying which happens on Sat and Sun.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Correction

First, we used a self etching "Almond colored" primer. We then shot the 50-50 blend of Zolatone. With the aluminum, a good self etching primer is key to it not falling off. So far, 5 years later, it's as solid as it was when sprayed on, and easy to clean! With 4 boys and one on the way, the easy cleaning was our main concern.

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote