Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Depew , New York
Help with ordering foam for cushions.

I want to make new cushions for our 1963 Bambi.
Any recommendations for on-line sites for ordering foam? (The only one I could find on here was from several years ago, knoxfoam.com and that website is no longer in use.)
I think I need high-density foam, but do I need a lower density foam for the tops? What kind of batting do I use to wrap the cushions, quilt batting? Should I make a muslin cover before covering with the upholstery fabric?

Any suggestions on how to place the board inside for the backs of the gaucho? glue gun?
Thank you!
Bambi1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
B63,
The upholstry shop that sewed our cushions ordered the 4 inch foam. I dont remember the density but it is pretty firm, she had samples at the shop. I dont think are cushions are wrapped in anything, but I would make a muslin cover if you are going to do it yourself. We used the same foam for all three of the gaucho cushions and the four front dinette cushions.
I didn't but a board inside the seat back cushion on the gaucho. I have the 1/4 plywood board piano hinged to the wall resting on top of the frame slider.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
back board

I did my own gauchos in the '78 Argosy Minuet 6.7m. Foam was the high density foam that was 5" thick. I bought it at JoAnn Fabrics (40% off coupons helped with the expense). I wrapped the foam with quilt batting so that the corners and edges were filled out well and left no wrinkles when the upholstery went on. Wrinkles will cause the fabric to wear. I did not use a muslin cover for them. I made a "pillowcase" kind of thing to slide the board into and then slid that inside of the upholstery cover. The original upholstery did not have the slipcover on the board and the board had rubbed holes through the cover. I hope that the slip cover, which I made from an old blanket, will keep that from happening. I suppose you could also wrap it in the batting, but that is a more expensive route.
Good luck with your project!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I got my foam (firm I think & 4") at a half price sale at Joann Fabrics. We are just having our gaucho done like it was originally but new agan. The large piece of foam I ordered via the foam factory (super soft & 2")and got it in less than a week. They are out of MI, and we are in northern IN. I just recieved it Friday and will call the guy tomorrow to see when I can drop things off. He said it should be done in a week or two. He is only doing the cushion. After I get it back ill cover the rest of the gaucho in a same pattern but different color. I got my fabric at Hobby Lobby on sale.
Foam Products, Sound Proofing Foams, Seat Cushions, Memory Foam Pillow, Mattress Toppers, Pads
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Depew , New York
Thank you, everyone. I did manage to find a local supplier for the foam, and am working on the cushions now. I am making muslin covers for the foam, thank you for that suggestion. Just found some fabric for new curtains, also. I'll be busy...
Bambi1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bambi, cushions, foam, gaucho, upholstery