Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Help with curtains PLEASE

OK, I've spent all the time at this forum looking at wiring, replacing the floor, polishing, etc. Well I've done ALL that, and now I'm putting everything back togther and I forgot about the curtains. I'm supost to be on the road the end of the month and I'm still putting panels back in place. The PO had a bag in the bathroom that had the original drapes in it. It was nothing but mold. I couldn't even get them apart to messure.
I just left a curtain place near me (only one who could get it done before 10weeks) and they want 1,300.00 to do 5 windows with nothing fancy. I know this is a rip-off and I've asked everyone I know to help with this but no luck. I have a spot in KeyWest from the 21st of Dec. and I gotta have something up buy then.
I can't do it myself, and becuase I'm still putting up the walls I don't even know the exact size I need to have made.

I have a 72 Tradewind, 25', with the double bed.

Can someone please help me out. I'll pay to have them made just don't wanna get ripped off.

Kinda sad, I can replace the floor in a A/S, polish it, run new water, electric..... but have no skill here.

Can you read the panic....................
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
OK, I'll bite-

I live just 20 - 30 min. away from you and have a fairly reliable sewing machine. I think I could help you out, not anything fancy. I am not a professional , but I think I can put togeather something that will suffice-

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Peerenboom
I live just 20 - 30 min. away from you and have a fairly reliable sewing machine. I think I could help you out, not anything fancy. I am not a professional , but I think I can put togeather something that will suffice-

Barb
Just sent a P/M
Old 11-15-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
If they are anything like the '67 curtains they should be easy. If you need a detail photo of the originals from my rig let me know.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Short

If you're looking for someone who does A/S curtains, these people do nothing but Airstream and Argosy curtains, and generally know the specs. They are currently doing curtains for my '75 Sovereign. You'd have to check with them to see about time frame issues. All the curtains for my 31'r, including the hundreds of 'T' & 'G' tabs sewn top and bottom with the original type elastic attachements, cost me around $700. I picked a very nice linen fabric with a top quality lining.

http://www.jpadrapes.com/

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Real nice AS curtains are expensive but best made by the half dozen folks who do it, and you wait. We waited 6 months because august was there vacation. But they make the coach.
You need something simple until you get to the WBCCI international. There you will find some curtain makers. There are others in WBCCI publication ads and maybe Airstream Life.
If you don't have awnings you might try what someone here did by attaching fabric to the outside of the window when you setup. Window opened you get an awning. Window closed you get privacy. Take the screens off and put it on the inside side of the window and you can travel with them. (depends on how your windows work. Attach with wallpaper paste and you'll get them off easily with water when you want to replace them.
Actually you already have the skills. You can measure and cut along a line. It's the time and practise running a new power tool (sewing machine) you lack.
PS. I really hate the cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winteras2004b.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	9489  
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida

I've emailed them twice, no reply.... Not sure if I got them at a bad time or what. Did they tell you how long a wait?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A set of drapes from the factory, for a 72 25 foot trailer, is about $700.00.

Any dealer that wants to be helpful, can order them for you.

Current factory production for drapes, is about 3 to 4 weeks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskIt

I've emailed them twice, no reply.... Not sure if I got them at a bad time or what. Did they tell you how long a wait?

Huh..... I went to their site last week, completed the info request form, and already have the sample kit and order form.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I've emailed them twice, no reply....
Try calling?
(800) 813-7686
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
They did our curtains on the Caravel. Very nice job. Took awhile and then had to wait. We weren't in a hurry. Aren't they on your way to Key West. Weren't you going to Mexico.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
They did our curtains on the Caravel. Very nice job. Took awhile and then had to wait. We weren't in a hurry. Aren't they on your way to Key West. Weren't you going to Mexico.
Like I said, I haven't heard from them. Yes, I have a place reserved in Key West from Dec 21-Jan.21, then heading toward Mexico. Everything is getting pretty crazy trying to have everything ready. I still have a LOT to do before I leave. Also worried about snow. Both here and on the way. Here because I have stuff still to do on the outside (small stuff), and on the way because of driving.
I'm waiting for someone to get back to me about selling me there set, and just hoping everything works out. I had wanted to leave Dec.1 and take my time to get there (Key's).... but think I'll be leaving later in Dec.. I already pd. the rent here for Dec. just because of that.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
If you don't have awnings you might try what someone here did by attaching fabric to the outside of the window when you setup. Window opened you get an awning. Window closed you get privacy. Take the screens off and put it on the inside side of the window and you can travel with them. (depends on how your windows work. Attach with wallpaper paste and you'll get them off easily with water when you want to replace them.
Actually you already have the skills. You can measure and cut along a line. It's the time and practise running a new power tool (sewing machine) you lack.
PS. I really hate the cold.
Actually, you can use plain old fashioned starch to glue those flat pieces to the glass. Pour liquid starch into clean pail, or large bowl. Take the pre cut to size panels, saturte in liquid starch, lightly wring out, so they are not drippy, but still more than damp, and smooth onto the glass. This also works to 'glue' fabric to walls you may want to strip later. The starch is much easier to clean off the glass than wallpaper paste!
If this doesn't work for you while you are waiting for the custom drapes, consider using inexpensive vinyl tableclothes and clip them to the cornices using clips from the office supply store.... can't think what they are called.... maybe binder clips? Cut tablecothes to the right width, slip behind the cornice, clip to the top of the cornice..... with care, these can be rolled up by hand like window shades, and tied with ribbon to hold...
If you don't have cornices, simply clip to the curtain track!..... Maybe spend twelve bucks on supplies while you're waiting for the Perfect Drapes to arrive! Heck, order them, (the new drapes) and have them shipped to the Key West address to install there!

Elizabeth in Iowa
(Master of the innovative Quick & CHEAP fix!)
Old 11-25-2004, 07:08 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
At first I didn't even read through the post. I've bought all the coll stuff spent so much time trying to make everything look just right. I've been worried about these drapes for a month now. Your idea on the cloth with the clip's isn't to bad. It'll hold me over maybe just fine.

I had tried to buy a used pair from a guy on this site and thought it was a done deal.... he never got back to me. So I'm leaving in a week (if I can) and your idea might just do it.

Thanks so much
Old 11-25-2004, 09:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
OK, I've spent all the time at this forum looking at wiring, replacing the floor, polishing, etc. Well I've done ALL that, and now I'm putting everything back togther and I forgot about the curtains. I'm supost to be on the road the end of the month and I'm still putting panels back in place. The PO had a bag in the bathroom that had the original drapes in it. It was nothing but mold. I couldn't even get them apart to messure.
I just left a curtain place near me (only one who could get it done before 10weeks) and they want 1,300.00 to do 5 windows with nothing fancy. I know this is a rip-off and I've asked everyone I know to help with this but no luck. I have a spot in KeyWest from the 21st of Dec. and I gotta have something up buy then.
I can't do it myself, and becuase I'm still putting up the walls I don't even know the exact size I need to have made.

I have a 72 Tradewind, 25', with the double bed.

Can someone please help me out. I'll pay to have them made just don't wanna get ripped off.

Kinda sad, I can replace the floor in a A/S, polish it, run new water, electric..... but have no skill here.

Can you read the panic....................
The fastest way I know of is to contact your nearest Airstream dealer. They should be able to order a set from Airstream for you. The drapes come only in the off-white, cream color and for my 34' they cost 750.00 a set plus shipping. Good luck. Ross
rceptex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Binder clips

Glad to help!
Those binder clips come in different sizes, based on how much the clip will hold, so measure the thickness of your cornices!
I have used them in the dim past in a semi truck to hold up a privacy curtain... like the windshield curtainsin a mortor home.
Currently use them to attach our patio lights to the awning.

Elizabeth in Iowa