Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
We love our Argosy!

1973 26' Argosy 26
Shelby , Ohio
Unhappy Help Please!! Argosy Cushions

My husband and i just recently purchased a 73 Argosy that has no cushions at all and i was hoping that someone could tell me or help me find somewhere that i could get the sizes of all the cushions so i can make new ones! I am very excited about our new Airstream, (we are first time owners!!) and we were hoping to be camping in it by the 4th of July, but i need the cushions or it may not be very comfortable!! haha. Thank you!!
LDNoPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I don't have an Argosy, though we'd love a little one, so I cannot help with the cushion sizes-sorry! However, knowing this forum, you'll get lots of information before the day is over. I CAN welcome you to our forum, however, and wish you years of happy traveling witih your new baby ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Congratulations on your Argosy. I have one, a 78, 24ft. Unfortunately he is down at the lake and I can't go out and measure my cushions. However, there are several floor plans for these trailers and you will have to tell us which floor plan you have and which cushions you need. You might private message "balrgn" since he has several Argosy trailers. His are usually sitting by his home, so he can go out and get measurements. Good luck.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
We love our Argosy!

1973 26' Argosy 26
Shelby , Ohio
Ha, can't you tell that i am new to this!!! haha, Ok the layout.. how do i explain?? Um.. When you walk in to the right there is a couch/bed that opens to about the size of a full size bed, and there is a fold down table there too. Then walking to the back there is the oven, and sink to the left, and frig and closet to the right. Towards the rear there is a bed on each side (about same size??) and then the restroom. Hope this helps! Thanks to everyone! I can't wait to get this done!!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Is it safe to assume all the furniture parts are there and you are just talking about the foam cushions themselves? If so, then you can just measure the platforms for the beds pretty easily. If they are square cornered...it's real easy, it they are rear beds with the curved corners that's a different story. As far as thickness, about 4" is good for the beds ~

The Gaucho/Couch-Bed is a little more difficult, but can be done the same way...measure the total, then measure the upright position and make the cusions to fit. Sometimes there is a third filler cushion, for which getting measurements would be most helpful.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Use the "Search" button...

Welcome and your new member status earns you the obligatory referral to the search key in blue bar above... It's one of the key reasons to join the Forum, and not just lurk...

You can search on cushions and foam and gaucho's (as your front bed/couch is called) and learn from others what types of foam to use (higher density thermo-elastic or memory foam is good) and how to design and measure and assemble cushions. You'll also see a variety of upholstery choices, which should make you feel good that there is no "right answer" for interior taste in fabrics and decor... Good cushions make for good beds and good sleep, which goes a long way towards enhancing the camping experience... Choosing materials and fabrics that are durable, cleanable and comfortable are worth the effort and investment...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
LDNoPan:

It is only 100 miles from Shelby, Ohio to the Airstream factory at Jackson Center, SHELBY County, Ohio.

(Your trailer was built by Airstream at a separate factory in nearby Versailles, Ohio).

If you drive over to Jackson Center, someone there is likely to help you find the exact measurements for the sofas in your unit.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Congrats on your Argosy! We have a 1975 25' Tradewind and the interior you described sounds like ours with the exception of the kitchen areas being reversed. We have the mid-twin beds also. I have pictures on my computer but do not know how to attach them and send them to you. There is a chance I may be able to get help in doing so tomorrow night. We will be on our way to the Midwest Rally w/a couple of stops on the way and I won't be able to work on the pics until about Tues/Wed. next week.
Without measuring this minute I think our foam beds and sofa bed are at least 5", maybe 6". There is a credenza next to the sofa - curb side - where the table folds down. There is a firm arm rest type pillow street side. (not a bolster) The P.O. had the upholstery, drapes and fitted bed spreads/shams custom made at a place (Ohio? - I have that info) that knows the Airstream ways of the world. I'll do what I can to help you along if you wish. I know how anxious you are to be ready for the 4th. = ) Send me a private message if I should procede when we get back.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
South Miami , Florida
I have a 22 Argosy, I'll measure the front sofa bed tomorow and send you the details later. I guarantee you'll love the Argosy, it will give you lots of
good and happy times in your life !!

Rgds,
JB
J&G22argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Hello Ohio neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDNoPan
My husband and i just recently purchased a 73 Argosy that has no cushions at all and i was hoping that someone could tell me or help me find somewhere that i could get the sizes of all the cushions so i can make new ones! I am very excited about our new Airstream, (we are first time owners!!) and we were hoping to be camping in it by the 4th of July, but i need the cushions or it may not be very comfortable!! haha. Thank you!!
Hi there! Welcome to the Forums!
Larry and I have a 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7. I have replaced all of the cushions and covers in ours. Hard work, but if you sew it is not impossible. We bought replacement foam from JoAnn Fabrics to redo the 2 gauchos in ours. Picked out some vintage looking upholstery fabric and cording and got busy! I kept the old covers for the pattern just in case.
Don't know that ours is the same size as yours though. There are a few folks on here who must have some measurements for you that are specific to your unit.
We live just SW of Cleveland. If you get up this way you are welcome to park in our courtesy spot. Living so close to Jackson Center, you can make the tour of the factory and find lots of good information there to give you a great start with your new to you Argosy.

Lou and Larry
in Ohio
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
We love our Argosy!

1973 26' Argosy 26
Shelby , Ohio
Thumbs up Great Forum!

I want to thank everyone who has helped and offered to help get me measurements, the hardest part is that we don't have any cushions to go by and also my Argosy is sitting an hour and a half from me right now, and that's why i am not able to even try to get the measurements!! So thanks for everyones help, and this website is awesome! Do you think that if i would call Airstream and give them my vin # that they could tell me over the phone my measurements?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
phone/drive to Jackson Center

Probably yes. Why don't you try?

If you get the measurements by phone you save the drive.

If you drive over you can tour the factory at 2 pm any work day.

That will make the drive worth it, a double bonus.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
We love our Argosy!

1973 26' Argosy 26
Shelby , Ohio
Cool Called Factory

Well i just called the factory and the lady i talked to was very friendly, but thought i was kinda crazy for wanting measurements for a 73! Oh well, but she took my number and said she would look for the old sketches, but said that she probbaly would not be able to help ha, oh well i know that there are plenty of friendly, helpfull people on here!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Hi, I have a 1975 Argosy 26. I had a company called Knox Foam, www.knoxfoam.com make a set of zippered covers for my twin bed cushions. I had to send them the exact measurements. I don't know if my foam was original to the camper but they fit the available space exactly. The twin bed foam was 75 1/2"L X 32 1/4" W X 5".

My goucho measures as follows. the seat cushion is 75" L X 21"W X 5" with an attached backrest that is 75" L X 14" H X 5". The back rest is backed with piece of plywood for stiffness. There is another cushion that stows behind the goucho to complete the bed that is 75" L X 11" W X 5", this piece is tapered to follow the shape of the front wall. I think if I were to make new goucho cushions I would just make the backrest taller rather than fool with this separate piece. I can take some pictures and post them if you like.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Need this piece

Hello.. the piece is needed to keep the back up and the jack knife position for the gaucho cushion.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
South Miami , Florida
Here are the measurements for the front sofa of our 22 Argosy:

Bottom Cushion: 74" length x 19" wide x 5" thick
Back Cushion: 74" length x 16" wide x 5" thick

These two are sewn together and flatten out for sleeping.
We just had them re-upholstered, with a fabric my wife picked out.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Rgds,
JB
J&G22argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Here are photos of my goucho and twin beds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00370.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	22086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00371.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	22087  

Name:	Dsc00372.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	22088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00373.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	22089  

Name:	Dsc00374.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	22090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00375.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	22091  

RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #18
We love our Argosy!

1973 26' Argosy 26
Shelby , Ohio
Talking Thank you!!

Thank you sooo much to everyone who posted on here to help us out!! I can't wait to get my Argosy done, and i will be sure to post pics as soon as we get it done!!!