Old 08-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
1976 Argosy 22
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Help! Need gaucho upholestry pattern and/or photos

We are trying to reupholster the front gaucho (sofa bed). I didn't save the rotted fabric for a pattern and now can't figure out how to sew it correctly. I wish I would have taken photos of the original construction.

The top side of the gaucho is one piece, so you don't fall in the crack. The back side it two pieces for folding. See the attached photos.

Help! I am hoping someone can take photos of the back side of the gaucho (where the zipper is), either from the original gaucho, or from a newly constructed one.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438973560.087723.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	244814Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438973606.137740.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	244815Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438973635.840822.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	244816
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438973715.948577.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438973735.430924.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  74.2 KB

feliciaymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
1976 Argosy 22
Albuquerque , New Mexico
By the way, we have a 1978 28' airstream. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I haven't done this, but...

If the last picture in your post is of the old upholstery, here's the way I think it was done.

Cut a large rectangle (may require a seam down the middle, best put at the fold) the size of the unfolded gaucho cushion, plus seam allowances all the way around. This covers the top of the cushion.

Cut two rectangles the size of the bottom surfaces of the cushion, also with seam allowances. These will form the bottom.

Cut strips the height of the cushion, plus seam allowances, long enough to go all the way around each half of the cushion. Split the sections that go in the fold lengthwise and insert a zipper in the middle of each. I'd cut these a little wider, so I'd have room to fold the fabric under next to the zipper. Make the finished product as wide as the other edge strips.

Sew the edge strips to the top and bottom rectangles, carefully aligning the corners. Use cording in the seams if you wish (the old one had it). The edge strips within the fold are sewn to the center of the large rectangle at the place where the cushion folds. I think I might do that first.

In effect, you're making two rectangular cushion covers that are joined in the middle on one side.

Hope this helps. This project is still on the "to go" list for our trailer. I haven't done the actual sewing, but the above is where the planning has led me.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Well, your Boxer seems totally disinterested in the project.
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
Help! Need gaucho upholestry pattern and/or photos

Our goucho cushion covers are simple cloth boxes (6 sides) with a zipper down the middle of one long skinny side - not connected.
Way simple ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
1976 Argosy 22
Albuquerque , New Mexico
mimiandrews - Thank you for the detailed explanation. This will definitely help.

I still wish I kept the old covers. I remember it having only one zipper and it was tricky getting the foam out of the cover.

philipsinewe - yes, our poor boxer! She doesn't get the attention she needs with a new baby around and an airstream renovation project.

nrgtrakr - This would be the easy way out, but I really like the idea of keeping the cushion connected. I. Imagine this will make it much more comfortable for sleeping.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
1994 33' Land Yacht
Van Nuys , California
I have an intact original but not sure if I can take it off to show the back. It's a basic cushion but bigger. Does it come off and go back in easily or do you have to tear it off? Tip for putting back on that I learned making covers for futon: turn entire case inside out and put your hands inside and grab two corners. Grab front corners of the pad. Slip it over the corners and work down to other send. It's easier than it sounds.
Windtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Here's our experience, for what it's worth:

We have a '74 Overlander with 40+ year old gaucho that looks a lot like yours. I've done some sewing in my day, so we, too, were thinking of getting some new foam, making a pattern from the original covering, and doing the reupholstering ourselves.

We found an online company from which to buy upholstery remnants at a fraction of the price. It's called Toto. They'll even send free fabric samples.

We were able to purchase remnants of $89/yd upholstery for a small fraction of the retail price. They sell small remnants, especially, at a real bargain. We bought several remnants (8-10 yds ea), so we could match the fabric's patterns. We also wanted enough for the bias-cording on the edges (which our original gaucho had). And, of course, we wanted extra in case we made a mistake. :-)

However, the more we studied the project, the more we felt like we might be wiser to have a professional custom upholsterer do it for us.

We took the whole gaucho (with the old fabric still on the cushions) to an experienced upholsterer. He told us later that even he found it a bit of a challenge.

By the way, we also asked the upholsterer to order replacement foam, as our old foam was beginning to break down. He says this new foam should last for decades, even in harsh environments.

Apparently, there are a lot of different types and grades of foam out there, so we were glad to have his expertise on that. He also covered all the foam with a layer of Dacron, to help prevent abrasion between the foam and the fabric.

We were glad for those little touches that we might not otherwise have known about.

But it was expensive. The cost of the whole project, fabric, foam and custom upholstery, was just over $900. That's a lot, for us -- a LOT. In fact, it's probably one of the biggest purchases we've made, in our restoration project.

But it was important to us to have an attractive, durable couch. We wanted a fabric that can take wear and tear and that is also stain resistant and easy to clean, and we wanted foam that is a comfortable firmness for sitting, as well as for sleeping. Hopefully, the couch will look good, and hold up well, for decades, like the original did.

I hope there is something here that's helpful. Whichever way you decide to go, I hope your project turns out great! Good luck with it!

tintent74 is offline   Reply With Quote