Old 03-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
PALM SPRINGS , California
Headliner Sagging

The 1997 25' Safari That We Are Picking Up Sunday Has The Headliners Coming Down In Some Areas. We Are Assured There Were No Leaks, Just Extreme Heat & Cold - But We Have No Idea What Product Or Process To Use To Reglue Or Reattach This. Help????
Thanks, Al

Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Droopy ceilings are not uncommon in the '90's trailers. If you use the search tool found on the menu line on the home page, using key words such as your thread title or "droopy ceiling," you'll find several discussions and proposed solutions for the problem. Some replace (BIG project), some reglue (glue often fails when reapplied), some tack up the ceiling using 5/8 inch screws and screw covers (the method we used), and others use various different approaches. Try the search tool and see if you can find a solution that would work for you. Best wishes! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #3

Clio , California
any headliner shrinkage?

So maxandgeorgia, did your headliner shrink to a degree that it would not extend to the plastic trim on either edge, leaving a gap? If so, how did you deal with that?

Seems like one solution would be to use a vinyl tape along the edge of the headliner such that the tape would in effect extend the headliner to reach under the trim. Do you know where I can buy replacement trim?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Salem , Virginia
At first, I tried to re-glue in our 1995, but that soon failed again. So, I used screws and screw covers to fix the headliner. It is a pain to do, but after three years, it is still holding. I stretched as I applied the screws, so I had to deal with a very small area of shrinkage at a trim seam, to which I applied a white silicone bead. That also worked out ok.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
PALM SPRINGS , California
sagging headliner

We Did A Reglue For Instant Fix - It Of Course Is Starting To Come Down, But In Only 1 Small Area That Leads, Of Course, To The Bigger Area Next.....so, We Will Probably Do The More Secure Route This Time - I Think The 113 Degree Days Last Week Started The Unglue - I Think, As Often, The Shortcut Was Not The Answer.(but Felt Really Good For Awhile.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Short of adding a bunch of screw holes to the ceiling, once the foam under the vinyl fails (and it is the foam failing - not the adhesive), the only real (read, proper) recourse is to remove the cabinets, along with the vinyl, then strip the ceiling until it's entirely free of glue and foam. I'm in the middle of this right now - and Georgia is right - it's a huge mess, and a huge pain. But in the end it's going to look like brand new, because it will be brand new. With any luck, I'll never have to fool with it again, and the (someday) subsequent owner won't have to, either.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Sagging 94

I had to deal with the sagging ceiling issue in the 94 tri axle I bought last summer. The previous owner had put rivets and screws every place it sagged...it had gotten pretty ugly. My fix was to strip all the headliner out. I then took a wire wheel on a small hand grinder and stipped off as much glue and padding as possible. This was an extremely messy venture. I even went as far as stripping all the fuzzy material off the wall surfaces. I ordered several sheets of thin aluminum from Aircraft Spruce in Georgia (chek them out online). I then added a second layer of aluminum to all ceiling and wall surfaces. I carefully cut the wall material and used it for templates on the new aluminum. I riveted everything in place and now have a shiny aluminum interior that is very clean and matches the exterior. It was a great deal of work, but it gets really good comments.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ceiling vinyl covering

According to Airstream, the cause of the material drooping, is the failure of the adhesive.

Back then the Feds demanded that a water base adhesive be used.

In time, it was determined that that was a big joke.

We all have seen automobiles with defective paint jobs from that same era. The clear coat finish on those vehicles, as mandated by the Feds, was also water based.

Water based adhesives, will fail in time.

The fix, unfortunately, is to remove the wall covering, and then remove the old adhesive.

New wall covering material should be used, since some of the bad adhesive is on it as well.

During the warranty period, Airstream also provided new wall coverings and instructed dealers to throw away the original coverings.

Common sense says that "all" the old adhesive must be remove from everything. The problem was and still is, that removing the adhesive properly and completely from the foam that's on the back side of the wall covering, is impossible.

Like so many other things, starting all over, from the very beginning, is the only long term real answer.

Such is the case with that vinyl wall covering.

Needless to say, the water based adhesive and paint idea, was scrapped years ago.

Andy
Andy
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Thumbs up Drooping Ceiling repaired with your suggestion.THANKS, it looks great!

I tried to re-glue in our 1995, but that soon failed again. So, I used screws and screw covers to fix the headliner. It is a pain to do, but after three years, it is still holding. I stretched as I applied the screws, so I had to deal with a very small area of shrinkage at a trim seam, to which I applied a white silicone bead. That also worked out ok.[/quote]
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #10

1996 28' Excella
West Bend , Wisconsin
I have a 28', 1996 Excella and the ceilings are starting to come down. I like the screw idea and would like to know where to find the screws and caps. Thanks to everyone for the advise on this problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #11

1996 30' Excella
Munith , Michigan
sagging headliner

Okay, first a really dumb question...Where is the search button on this forum?

Nevermind, I guess I just had to sign in first. Didn't realize that I had to have an account before I could search the forum.

As you can see, this is my first post here. We just picked up a '96 Excella 30', and the ceiling is sagging, so I'm looking into ways to get it back up. Don't really want to go with screws, so I wanted to sort through all the adhesives that people have tried and see if I can come up with something I'd like to give a try.

That's all for now. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_georg View Post
Okay, first a really dumb question...Where is the search button on this forum?

Nevermind, I guess I just had to sign in first. Didn't realize that I had to have an account before I could search the forum.

As you can see, this is my first post here. We just picked up a '96 Excella 30', and the ceiling is sagging, so I'm looking into ways to get it back up. Don't really want to go with screws, so I wanted to sort through all the adhesives that people have tried and see if I can come up with something I'd like to give a try.

That's all for now. Thanks.
It doesn't matter what adhesive you may want to use, it will not work until you completely remove the old adhesive.

The old adhesive is the problem. Adding more adhesive to a bad adhesive, is a waste of time and money.

Two things you can do.

Install screws, or remove the foam backed vinyl, clean off "ALL" the old adhesive, and then install new foam baked vinyl.

Again, the old, "BAD" adhesive is on the foam as well. You will have trouble trying to get it off the foam, without destroying the foam.

Not what you want to hear, but you will waste your time and money, if you try any salvage routine, other than the screws.

The Airstream factory, also says, it can't be done.

Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
starfire104

1995 34' Limited
Trinity , Texas
We also had this problem. We took it all down and had it reholstered $2500 later, it looks new and it should . I need to know about replacing the draperies, our are rotten and look bad. That is a lot of sewing, all those pleats...any suggestions where to go?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire104 View Post
We also had this problem. We took it all down and had it reholstered $2500 later, it looks new and it should . I need to know about replacing the draperies, our are rotten and look bad. That is a lot of sewing, all those pleats...any suggestions where to go?
Replacement drapes are available through a dealer from Airstream.

Andy