Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #15

1996 30' Excella
Smyrna , Georgia
I, like many of you, had the problem with the headliner coming loose on my 1996 30' Excella 1000. Fortunately the foam is still in good condition on the vinyl. After many attempts, I was advised by an Airstream tech that I might try using 3M Hi-Tack 76 spray ahhesive. That was not easy to find, but I was finally successful and sprayed in the areas I could get to without pulling any more of the headliner loose. I then quickly smmothed the headliner back in place and fortunately I was able to slip it back under the original strips that held it in place. Next thing I did was get several 8' strips of 1" wide white finish molding from Lowe's (it looks almost exactly like the original molding strips) and screwed them in place parallel to the original strips. This secures the newly glued area and actually looks like OEM except for the stainless screw heads and washers. I definitely recommend going this route in lieu of a complete re-do unless it's already too bad to attempt.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution???

Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ore City , Texas
We had the sagging headliner/ceiling problem in an early 90's Foretravel Motorhome. I cut 1 1/2" strips of 3/8" thick oak and stained them to match the coach's woodwork. My wife then held the sagging material in place while I installed the "bows" to the ceiling. I used screw cap washers with the screws and it looked original when we finished. Now, that was a forty foot motorhome. If we have to do the AS we just bought, I really think striping it down to the skin is what I would do. The bows work and look fine, but you will always know there is a problem up there. Here is a great source for screw caps.

Screw Covers, Screw Caps & Snap-CapsĀ® - Buy Now!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #18

1994 34' Excella
Waldo , Arkansas
I have a '94 Excella tri axle, with this same problem. I bought the replacement foam backed vinyl, but can not figure out how to get the plastic strips and front plastic cover down to replace....does anyone have any suggestions or should I just take it in to the dealer 3 hours away?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I realize I am posting to a year old thread but have some tips and a warning to share. The ceiling in our 94 Excella was completely removed along with the adhesive, the PO had then tried to shine the aluminum to give it the new retro look. The only problem was they paid no attention to trim and the insulation around the edges was sticking out along with the pattern of rivets used in construction. It was ugly so I recovered it with new marine grade foam vinyl. I used 2 1/2 " wide plastic screen molding from Lowes between the seams. This has a ridge on the bottom side which the vinyl tucks into giving a neat edge. I was also able to work with the 54" material not worrying about getting it exact since I had wide molding. I went to an automotive upholstery shop and purchased spray adhesive called Headerbond. This product is good for temps up to 215 degrees. Purchase a spray applicator from Lowes to help apply the spray from the can. this is a plastic apparatus which fits over the top of the spray can and gives you a large trigger handle to operate the spray nozzle with. Mark a center point on the vinyl and the ceiling. Apply the adhesive to a four foot area, two feet on either side of the center line and then the same on the vinyl. Align the center marks you made and smooth out the vinyl. It adheres immediately but since you are working with just a two foot section in each direction it is workable. Make all of your cutouts and then apply the glue to the bottom part of the ceiling and vinyl. Here is the warning. the adhesive is very flammable. Turn off all electrical 12V and 120V. Why do I say this? I nicked an electric line and started the entire ceiling on fire, all of my new work up in flames in seconds. By time I got the extinguisher and put out the fire the ceiling was black, along with the top part of the walls. The floors and everything else was covered with extinguisher dust. I have since cleaned up, and redone the ceiling. It looks great, although the second time around I did do some patching in to save buying extra vinyl over what I already had to replace so there is a strip of 4" molding by the door which covers a blank spot underneath. For the next few years we will be sweeping up fire extinguisher dust but at least i put out the fire before any major damage was done.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Red face sagging Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscottfree View Post
The 1997 25' Safari That We Are Picking Up Sunday Has The Headliners Coming Down In Some Areas. We Are Assured There Were No Leaks, Just Extreme Heat & Cold - But We Have No Idea What Product Or Process To Use To Reglue Or Reattach This. Help????
Thanks, Al
__________________________________________________ ___________
I had the same problem, mine was from the extreme heat from no shade on top.
I went to Lowe's, bought small self drilling screws as well as the round tops and I started to screw them into ceiling. I had to get the top stretched first until I could get screws in every 8 to 12 inches apart. I made the lines straight and from one side to other and from front to back. I waited until the late afternoon when roof was cooler. It took me about 2 hours, I made sure the lines were even and it looked like a cruise ship when I finished. DO NOT USE ANY GLUE, will not hold. Not bad for a country girl from ALABAMA.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
This seems to be a thread destined to live forever...I am about to start on my section of sagging headliner in the bedroom. I think the endcap leaked at some point in the past and caused the glues to fail. I've recaulked the outside but now we are out of the desert and, in super rainy Maine, the panel is sagging bad. My questions are: What to use to remove the old water based glue from the ceiling?
Where to find matching white vinyl-leathery looking Airstream headliner?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Joliet , SW of Chicago
Thank you everyone who posted through this thread! Topics are very pertinent! Our '94 Excella has a droopy ceiling and sad, although somewhat newer, drapes. Your help is invaluable.

Lucy749
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I inherited a 1985 Oldsmobile in 1995 and it had a sagging headliner—cloth with foam backing. I tried to reglue it, but it failed fairly quickly. So we had to bite the bullet and get the whole thing redone. Though the Olds headliner was cloth, not vinyl, the principal is the same, and I think Andy has it right, it has to be completely redone.

The Olds is long gone—sold in 1999 after we put another 40,000 miles on it. It was the worst car we ever owned.

Gene
Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
I am looking at a 1995 Excella Classic 34' to purchase. There is the beginning of the ceiling vinyl starting to sag. I called the Airstream factory to get an estimate as to how much it would cost to redo the ceiling liner. Should get a call back monday Aug. 30, 2010 by the service adviser.

I am trying to get feedback as to whether the anticipated high cost of replacement is worth it or not? If Airstream does replace the liner, is there any guarantee that this same problem won't occur several years down the road? Has Airstream come up with a for sure fix for this problem, such as in their newest models? I wouldn't want to pay $100,000 for a new Airstream and have the ceiling start to come down in a few years.

I know this is a very old thread, but hope there are still people viewing that have experienced getting the entire ceiling replaced.

Thanks

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
According to Airstream, the cause of the material drooping, is the failure of the adhesive.

Back then the Feds demanded that a water base adhesive be used.

In time, it was determined that that was a big joke.

We all have seen automobiles with defective paint jobs from that same era. The clear coat finish on those vehicles, as mandated by the Feds, was also water based.

Water based adhesives, will fail in time.

The fix, unfortunately, is to remove the wall covering, and then remove the old adhesive.

New wall covering material should be used, since some of the bad adhesive is on it as well.

During the warranty period, Airstream also provided new wall coverings and instructed dealers to throw away the original coverings.

Common sense says that "all" the old adhesive must be remove from everything. The problem was and still is, that removing the adhesive properly and completely from the foam that's on the back side of the wall covering, is impossible.

Like so many other things, starting all over, from the very beginning, is the only long term real answer.

Such is the case with that vinyl wall covering.

Needless to say, the water based adhesive and paint idea, was scrapped years ago.

Andy
Andy
Old 08-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbikeman View Post
I am looking at a 1995 Excella Classic 34' to purchase. There is the beginning of the ceiling vinyl starting to sag. I called the Airstream factory to get an estimate as to how much it would cost to redo the ceiling liner. Should get a call back monday Aug. 30, 2010 by the service adviser.

I am trying to get feedback as to whether the anticipated high cost of replacement is worth it or not? If Airstream does replace the liner, is there any guarantee that this same problem won't occur several years down the road? Has Airstream come up with a for sure fix for this problem, such as in their newest models? I wouldn't want to pay $100,000 for a new Airstream and have the ceiling start to come down in a few years.

I know this is a very old thread, but hope there are still people viewing that have experienced getting the entire ceiling replaced.

Thanks

Terry
The "proper fix" has not changed, nor has it's great expense.

Andy
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Joliet , SW of Chicago
Wink Droopy ceiling

With our '94 Excella's delaminating ceiling, we turned to the sage advice of veteran AirForums members. The problem began with poor quality adhesive reportedly due to new Federal restrictions at the time; however, this problem is not just limited to AS 1994-95 trailers.

Our trailer's "bubble" sat from just above the streetside window up to and around the Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. We removed everything from the room which was not riveted down, and then spread drop cloths over the flooring. Limited workspace in which to move around in, neck kinks, and tired arms were my husband's nemeses as he first razored the vinyl off with the dry, powdery foam liner which. Dave invested a $40 paint breathing mask, 5 aerosol spray paint remover cans, and many quarts of acetone.

After cutting down the vinyl, he used a putty-like blade and scraped the remaining debris off. Dave scraped down to the aluminum ceiling. Next, he "washed" the ceiling with acetone to remove all particles. Finally, when he was finished completely, Dave and I decided we liked the whole ceiling bare.

Somewhere I have photos, if you'd like to see the stages, but I'm sure you have the idea that it is not a task for the faint of heart. Time consuming, yes. Rewarding, yes. Easy, no.

Earlier this summer, we sold our '95 30' Excella, and the gentleman remarked how much he liked the celing bare! That's my story.

All the best with your new-to-you AS; the Forums rock!!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The ceiling in our 1997 was drooping badly. It had even pulled away from on of the trim pieces enough to leave a gap when you held it back in place. We had seen a couple of Airstreams which have had the ceiling screwed back up with caps on the screw heads. (Think upholstered look).

When we joined the Georgia WBCCI, we found out that Warren Fore, the club president does the work and does it very well.

I am sure if Coolbikeman and Warren were at the same rally, Warren would be happy to do the ceiling.

You should be able to contact him through the "Top of Georgia" website.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The "proper fix" has not changed, nor has it's great expense.

Andy
Thanks Andy for the quick answer. My other question I asked in my first message was whether replacing the headliner with the newest adhesive and liner materials would be a "permanent fix"? I wouldn't want to pay to have it replaced and then have to do it again several years down the road. Any advice on this? I may need to call your service center to ask more questions. I browsed quite a bit of you website the other day and there is a lot of information there about Airstreams.

Thanks

Terry