Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Istachatta , Florida
headliner glue

On a 95 Excella my headliner is releasing from the ceiling and would like to know if anyone has any ideas on an easy, non toxic way to remove the adhesive, or if I even have to, before re gluing rubber backed boat carpet to aforemention ceiling. I've tried lacquer thinner, works slowly, and gets me high, mineral spirits works slower than the lacquer thinner and the high isn't as good or the headache as bad. I would like to do this without killing myself, or ending up like the reverand on the "Deadwood" TV show. Maybe I should hire someone who knows what they're doing.
Perplexed
bikestreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This is a common problem for this era Airstream. This thread contains several solutions (some good, some not so good) to the problem.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...lla-14989.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

The thead referenced above does have some helpful suggestions about dealing with the sagging ceiling problem. There is nothing there, however, about how to actually remove the old glue.

In the unlikely event the glue has dried hard enough you could sand it off. Chemically, the best remover is xylene, sometimes sold as xylol. This stuff will do much more than make you high, however. It can make you dead. The only way I would use it inside a closed space like the Airstream is with a full face mask supplied by outside air. Even then I would want a strong fan pulling the fumes out the far end of the coach, and far far away from my air intake source.

If anyone has a better idea I'd like to hear about it as well as I really hate xylene.

Mark