Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Have you used Ozite Fabric on your walls and ceilings?

Hi all,
In the newer Airstreams the overhead and walls are sometimes covered with Ozite Rib Fabric, a thick, carpet-like material which is cream in color. I really like the look of this material and I want to use it for my restoration project. I priced this material at Oasis RV in Tucson at $11.00 a sq ft. Has anybody applied this material to an older airstream? If you did. What did you use for an adhesive? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I found the answer

According to Airstream, this fabric material is called Ozite Rib Fabric. I found a large patch of it at my local RV Salvage yard for about $40, an outstanding price.

4CU 1st VP

Old 01-03-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I'll be interested to see how you do with this. I had suggested its use to someone else. I think I'd like the texture and possibly noise reduction. What will it add as far as weight?
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Not Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
I'll be interested to see how you do with this. I had suggested its use to someone else. I think I'd like the texture and possibly noise reduction. What will it add as far as weight?
The fabric weighs far less than regular carpet. The nice thing about this fabric is that it can cover up any "blemishes" you may have on your walls. It really gives a nice clean look and I think it would improve noise reduction though I have no proof yet.

Info on this fabric, which comes in many colors, can be found on their website.
Just search for OZITE.

4CU 1st VP

Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How do people with these fabric liners deal with mold and mildew? Seems they would absorp all kinds of moisture and odors. Except for that I have been thinking about it off and on.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
The wall carpet is also known as hull liner! I applied mine with 3M "77" adhesive and it worked great. If I remember correctly, hull liner comes in 60 and 72" roll lengths. The weight is quite light, the material for our rear bedroom weighed about 8-10 pounds. It absorbs noise, increases the insulation value of the wall, reduces the tendency of the wall to sweat, and is fairly easy to install. By stretching the fabric in some places and bunching it in others, it is fairly easy to get it to conform to compound curves. I think I paid about $15 per yard length of 6' material for the hull liner in my trailer.

Enjoy!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
I priced this material at Oasis RV in Tucson at $11.00 a sq ft. Has anybody applied this material to an older airstream?
Mike
Are you sure that price isn't per square yard? That makes a lot more sense.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Fuzzy wall / Soft vinyl

I also saw that material at Oasis on the '04 models. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to clean. With a 13 and 7 year old, it was the first thing that came to mind. Also, some of the models have a foam backed vinyl for some sections of the wall. It seemed that this might do well to hide blemishes, insulate, and be easier to clean. Has anyone tried to duplicate this?
69Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Have you used this on your walls and ceilings?

Greetings 69Ambassador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ambassador
I also saw that material at Oasis on the '04 models. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to clean. With a 13 and 7 year old, it was the first thing that came to mind. Also, some of the models have a foam backed vinyl for some sections of the wall. It seemed that this might do well to hide blemishes, insulate, and be easier to clean. Has anyone tried to duplicate this?
Some older vintage coaches had quilted-vinyl upholstery installed on the bedroom cielings as well as on the bedroom walls. My '64 Overlander has this and it has withstood the test of time - - it continues to be easy to clean and retains a very pleasant appearance. You can see the cieling panel (it is attached with pop-rivets) in the photo below:

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For Hull Liner see: http://www.fabricsandvinyls.com/prod...hull_liner.htm
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow!

Beautiful OEM ceiling, Kevin. Haven't seen that style in an Airstream before. Very nice!!!!!

4CU 1st VP

Old 01-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Have you used this on your walls and ceilings?

Greetings mello mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
Beautiful OEM ceiling, Kevin. Haven't seen that style in an Airstream before. Very nice!!!!!
The ceiling and wall upholstery in the bedroom was one of the features that originally caused me to purchase the coach - - I had been looking for the better part of a year and this coach just told me that it was mine the minute I walked into the door (June of 1995) - - I didn't learn until about six months after purchasing the coach that it was the one that friends of my family had purchased new in 1964. As time has gone by, I have tried to piece together just how my coach came to be equipped in this manner - - based on what I have been able to discover (invoices, discussions with original owners, etc.) the upholstery was an upgrade option available on International models (and most likely only those models with separate bedroom areas - - Trade Wind and larger coaches). I know that my coach was a special order as the original owners were friends of my family, and it has several unusual period features. The precise years when this feature was available isn't clear, but I have seen several '64 Overlanders and Ambassadors with this feature as well as one '63 Overlander that had this feature. In reality, I suspect that the purchaser of any Airstream of the period could special-order the feature whether the coach was a Land Yacht or International.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My understanding is that was part of the top of the line international package - on the larger trailers.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #14

2001 27' Safari
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
How do people with these fabric liners deal with mold and mildew? Seems they would absorp all kinds of moisture and odors. Except for that I have been thinking about it off and on.
Hi. I am new to the forum and we have to get rid of mildew on the "carpet-like" walls and the drapes. Any suggestions? Is there anything we can use in the washer for the drapes?
jstumpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I used a synthetic upholstery fabric to line the headliner on my boat..never had any mildew problems except where dirt came in through hatches. So I think the Hull Liner will work well. I used contact cement but 3M spray adhesive should work well. Usually this kind of fabric has a rubberized backing.

You can control mildew with Trisodium Phosphate. I would try a carpet cleaning machine (Steam cleaner) and put TSP into the solution container. We had a moldy spot on our living room rug that kept coming back until I treated it with TSP; no more problems. You need to control humidity in the trailer...not easy in some areas of the US

John
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote