Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phmhhoward
We have heard the Tempur Pedic is hot. Do you find that?
Tempur Pedic or any other foam mattress is very hot. There is no air flow unless you use a good quality mattress pad. Foam mattresses are not for everyone and take some getting accustom to.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phmhhoward View Post
I don't. I hate hot weather and have never felt that our T-Pedic was hot. YMMV.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
We have the original Tempur-Pedic in both the AS and our Cabin. We don't find either of them any "hotter" than a regular mattress. We DO find that we feel 10 years younger when we get up in the morning compared to a "regular" mattress such as we experience in hotels. The old bones stiffnes is gone and we sleep so much more soundly. We love them and recommend them to our family and friends.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We have a foam mattress. The only time we thought it was warm was this weekend, when we got into a campsite at about 10:15 at night, after the camper baked in the sun all day without the A/C on, and we went to bed around 11 or so - meaning the air conditioner didn't have time to cool things down. It was still in the 90s inside the camper when we started the A/C. It was fine by morning, and it has been fine every other time we've used it. We do have a mattress pad, so maybe that's the difference for us.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

On the trip home I tried to sleep on the twins and wound up on the couch where I felt the foam was more comfortable. I then cut up a king memory foam topper for the twins, but it was still just not enough for my wife and I as we are both side sleepers.

I then ordered custom made top of the line twin mattresses from Verlo that we had made 6 inches wider. I also increased the width of the deck as well, which allowed me to move the under bed storage drawers out "in" about 3” on each side for a bit more outside storage compartment room.

Does anyone actually sleep on the mattresses as they come from the factory in new units?
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
I have never had a Tempur Pedic mattress so can't answer the question as it relates to Tempur Pedic. But once we have had the opportunity to use this mattress I'll let you know my thoughts on the Rocky Mountain Mattress.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Royal Oak , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike

I have never had a Tempur Pedic mattress so can't answer the question as it relates to Tempur Pedic. But once we have had the opportunity to use this mattress I'll let you know my thoughts on the Rocky Mountain Mattress.
I purchased a Tempur Pedic mattress from Artisans Custom Mattress in Saginaw Michigan 2 weeks ago to replace my factory installed mattress and have been very pleased. I find it very comfortable and not hot.
Out of Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
We had the same experience with our stock mattress and ordered from Rocky Mountain Mattress. We are very pleased that we did.
Jack, I'm sure they are a good company, but we have a custom mattress maker right here IN Virginia Beach, The Original Mattress Factory, 3750 Virginia Beach Blvd. They will make it in foam, latex or memory foam, innerspring, and pretty much any thickness and shape you need. They did mine in a 3 day turnaround.

Paula
Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
Tempur Pedic or any other foam mattress is very hot. There is no air flow unless you use a good quality mattress pad. Foam mattresses are not for everyone and take some getting accustom to.
Well, not entirely true. We had an older latex foam mattress, and it was like sleeping in a rubber glove... didnt breath at all. However, the memory foam (not pure latex) mattresses do a much better job, particularly the Simmons we have now which is specifically designed to breath. Sleeps very cool, and extremely comfortable. I am about to replace the one in the Airstream as well, just need to figure out how to squeeze a king memory foam into a 19' Bambi and I will be all set.
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We sleep at home on a foam mattress from Ikea. It's never felt too hot. Just bought one for the Airstream - carved it to fit the corner with an electric carving knife. Looking forward to trying it out on vacation.

Just trying to decide if we keep the old original mattress in case we sell the trailer, or if it gets the send-off it deserves...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I put a memory foam topper on my mattress and I've found it very comfortable. Like many of you, I was a little surprised at the chintzy quality of the mattress in my new trailer. Also purchased a topper for the L-shape sofa for the bed conversion. I don't think I'd ask anyone to sleep on it without accommodating the seam when you put the bolsters next to the seat.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #32
JDP
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
The mattress that Airstream places in these units is, in my opinion, one of the poorest quality components in the Airstream product. The cover has always had a buckled crease that sticks up across the middle, it sags in the middle, it provides little to no support and it is hot and doesn't breathe. Man, I am so excited to put this thing in the garbage.
Totally agree with you. I've found this to be the case with not just Airstream's, but the majority of RV's manufacturers in general. RV manufacturers are trying to hit a certain price point for their customers which are RV dealers and mattresses can be one of the most costly components for RV's. Usually they'll use a very cheap 1.2 lb density (the lowest high density foam) or a cheap bonnell innerspring unit with a polyester cover. Bunk mattresses can be even worse. The 2012 Airstream models, although they're not excellent, I think the quality of the foam is a fast improvement over previous years.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #33
JDP
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Where can one get a Tempur-Pedic for an AS? We have one at home & love it. We've got the "queen" bed in our 23' Int'l.

John S.
Hi John,

Tempurpedic only manufacturers standard Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and Cal King. They can't to the radius, curved, and cut corners required for most AirStreams.

Jonathan
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #34
JDP
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
Heck, we let the Tempur-Pedic hang off the end of the existing support board. The softness allows us to move around the larger footprint by merely pressing on the overhang with the side of our leg. We use all of our normal queen linens in AS or in house. That gives us multiple changes without purchase of special sized linens. It's a dream.
If you're ever in a situation where you have to file a warranty claim with Tempurpedic, I'd recommend first hitting Home Depot and extending the plywood so the mattress isn't hanging over the edge. Otherwise, Tempurpedic's mattress inspector will very likely deny the warranty claim. I've seen them do it before. :-)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #35
JDP
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Littleton , Colorado
Paula,

Tempurpedic's are notorious for overheating because they use closed cell visco elastic memory foam. You can get memory foam in both open cell and closed cell formulations. If you're going to go with a foam mattress, I'd stick to open cell as closed cell foams tend to trap heat.

There is also a new type of memory foam with a gel infused formulation. This type of foam is designed to keep you 1 to 2 degrees cooler than traditional visco elastic memory foam. That might be something worth looking into.

Something else the can effect temperature is foam density. Memory foam densities can range between around 2 LB to 8 LB per cubic foot. I'd aim for around a 4 LB density as it's a good mix between durability and airflow. The higher the density, the longer the durability but the trade off is lower airflow.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #36
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Our 75 is the twin bed configuration. We have Tempurpedic on our queen at home so we wanted the same for our AS. Luckily the Denver mattress store where we bought had 2 extra long twins that they had not sold before the new year models came out. Got a great price on them. The original mattresses were still in ours when we bought it. Double nasty!!!
Congrats Fran and Mike!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Finally had the opportunity to try the new Select Comfort mattress we installed about 3 weeks ago. After the first night, my wife promptly proclaimed no morning backache. To me it felt perfect. Gave the old mattress away.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Wally and Costco toppers make a huge difference for us ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
We have the original Tempur-Pedic in both the AS and our Cabin. We don't find either of them any "hotter" than a regular mattress. We DO find that we feel 10 years younger when we get up in the morning compared to a "regular" mattress such as we experience in hotels. The old bones stiffnes is gone and we sleep so much more soundly. We love them and recommend them to our family and friends.
I am just getting into that getting old age feeling. So much so that in April/May i felt I was dying. I have a few ailments and I thought it was mostly that...but I also knew I needed a new mattress. Well, I was going the tempur-pedic route and entered a sleep number store. I ended up purchasing a combination mattress from sleep number that have the best of both world--air and memory foam. After spending a month on this mattress, I feel like a new person. A good mattress (air or foam) does make the difference when you are getting older and the body aches. It was the best money that I ever spent. I feel like a million bucks. I was aching so much and now those aches and pains are gone==no more. I still have the pains from my cancer....but the new pains--the back aches, the aches in my arm, shoulder, and stuff are no more. I feel like a new person. A good mattress does wonder. My mattress at home was so pathetic....that my A/S mattress was heaven in comparison. I know I am digressing....but I had to put in my two cents worth.http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Even though we haven't purchased our AS yet, I know that I won't sleep one night on the factory AS mattress from everything I have read. Looking forward to your review. A good mattress, IMHO, is one of the most important components of staying happy and healthy :-))
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote