Old 04-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Gold MLDG.

Hi all, is the gold insert molding still available that goes in the shower area on a 1975 Argosy This mldg. holds the beige mldg? [

Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviontt
Hi all, is the gold insert molding still available that goes in the shower area on a 1975 Argosy This mldg. holds the beige mldg? [
If you are talking about the harvest gold colored vinyl trim piece that goes in the aluminum separator, I think it is NLA. If you do find any, let me know, I need some too.
Terry

Old 04-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
There is no harvest gold molding. It is an ivory molding that has aged to that orange/gold color.

The stuff ran less than $.70 per foot from Ace Fogdall last time I bought it. My rear bath MH needed 32 feet of it. As far as I know it is still available, but just in the ivory.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Harvest gold is the extruded aluminum that is riveted to the wall this is the stuff I'm looking for not the insert.......
Old 04-29-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Sorry,

I have seen some of the pictures where the insert has aged and looks orange, or really yellow. The beige insert is available. That is what I bought.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Aviontt
I looked in a 74 and a 78 Airstream Service manual. (Argosy is not mentioned)
I find in the 74 a gold annodized extrusion # 07112 which recieves a plastic insert #07121.

A harvest gold extrusion would have had to be painted.
Maybe AS factory went to that trouble to salvage damaged annodized extrusions, but I can't fathom that to be cost effective in any way. They are rumored to have done that with larger alum panels on the Argosies hence the painted fuselages and that of course was cost effective..

The extrusion pages in my 74 manual leave alot to be desired. (Doesn't most everything with Airstream? )
No deminsions are given, but I think many of the renderings are representative of actual size.
The extrusion I mention above is described in the manual and used in both rear and center bath(different lengths and bends) but not represented on the extrusion illustrations page. go figure! It is not shown in the 78 manual either. And the bath layout renderings do not describe any such extruded pieces in 78 but there are unidentifed strips in the illustration that sure seem to me to be some kind of extreded banding. again thanks Airstream "engineering or drafting" departments for the due dilligance.

It is sometimes a nightmare for manufacturers to keep inventory of past extrusions, but many do. Others after much time passes with no profit from that sector of the warehouse sell the pile for scrap. There have been hundreds of extruded shapes some in two or three finishes over the years and the odds are that even if they are still stuck up in the rafters that no one will or could go and find the right one. But why not call the factory and see.
Are there Service Manuals for the Argosy line? Not sure I have ever seen one mentioned. If you could ascertain the old part # you might be a little farther along,(note I said a little ). With that you could call some of the more parts knowledgable dealers and see what they say.

Oh I have meant to ask before, what is the story of "Aviontt"?
Do you prefer the Avions?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
If I could take an Avion and put it in an Airstream I would have my Ideal camper..
Old 04-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

OK I am curious. You say the Avion interior is superior and/or better looking? And the Airstream exterior is the better? How so?

Would you have any pix of Avion interiors that you can show your preference with?

There is a 87 Avion near my office that sits mighty nice on the exterior. Seems to be higher off the ground and very trim. I do not like the windows as much as the late 70 Airstreams however.
I have not seen the interior of any Avions except a few in pictures I think.

Thanks
jaco
Old 04-29-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Gold Aluminum

The gold color is probably anodized aluminum. Gold was a very popular anodizing color in the 50s and 60s along with clear anodize until light bronze and dark bronze became the most popular anodized colors in the natural earthtone 70s. Clear anodize and champagne anodize is now in vogue. I haven't seen anything in gold in recent times. I suspect you would have to find salvage material. I doubt if anyone would be manufacturing it today.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote