Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Frederick , Maryland
Getting curtains off tracks

Has anyone figured out how to take the curtains off the holders in the 1980 Caravelle? I am ready to have mine drycleaned, and I don't seem to be able to get them off the rod/slider. The sliders have two different types of ends holding the curtains on. One has a beige plastic plate on the end (I don't want to break it, so I am asking advice). The other has a screw through the end of the rod, and the rod is spread open around the screw. I can't get the plastic sliders holding the curtains off of either type, top or bottom.
Thanks,
Scoteagle
Scoteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoteagle View Post
Has anyone figured out how to take the curtains off the holders in the 1980 Caravelle? I am ready to have mine drycleaned, and I don't seem to be able to get them off the rod/slider. The sliders have two different types of ends holding the curtains on. One has a beige plastic plate on the end (I don't want to break it, so I am asking advice). The other has a screw through the end of the rod, and the rod is spread open around the screw. I can't get the plastic sliders holding the curtains off of either type, top or bottom.
Thanks,
Scoteagle
The drape track material is soft.

Bend it back in place.

When the upper drape track has plastic plates (end caps)at the ends, one must be removed in order to remove the drapes.

If you break one of those plastic "end caps", they are available from a couple of dealers that stock parts for older Airstreams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
Is there a screw holding the plastic cap on?? If so, remove the screw and cap, top and bottom, and the plastic tabs should come out of the rail.
I removed my curtains last year to have them dry cleaned and the cleaners would not touch them. They had all kind of excuses, mostly trying to convince me the tabs would melt. I went to Plan B-3 and washed them in the washer using cold water, Woolite, and gentle cycle. They were spread to dry with the pleats creased and came out beautifully. Smelled fresh too, and a lot less expensive.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Frederick , Maryland
End Caps and curtains

The plastic end caps are rivetted/bradded through the plastic at the
top and bottom, so I finally just broke the end caps off and I got the drapes off. They are drying as I write.? I have no tool to remove or put in rivets, so I had to break them. I will find a way to keep the drapes on the sliders. I can't re-rivet the plastic things into the track, so I will find another way. None of the plastic end caps have a screw....which makes sense as a way to mount them on the track....they all have a rivet through the flat piece of plastic in the track. Using rivets through plastic strikes me as a stupid way to do business, and they came from the factory this way. Undoubted some design engineer thought this would "really secure them in the track". Unfortunately, it never occurred to him/her that curtains have to be cleaned. I appreciate the help and suggestions from the list.
Ed Thompson
1980 Caravelle
Scoteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
I have made new curtains for our 1966 GlobeTrotter-I need to replace some of the round plastic carriers that run in an aluminum track, which is riveted up inside an oak cornice. If we pull the end rivet out, is the aluminum track bendable also? Just need to free it enough to slide the broken carriers off and the new ones on.
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Where did you get the new curtain carriers, and what type are they?
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
Sliding Eye Carrier - RV Parts, RV Supplies & RV Accessories for 5th Wheels, ToyHaulers, Campers
This is what they look like. The package was in the Airstream when we bought it. I am not near the trailer right now, but I will look on the package and get the complete description (and dealer) later. The flat piece at the top is what slides in the aluminum track, you hook regular drapery hooks into the ring.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
I checked the package-they came from Shorewood RV (Minnesota) and they are #2 size carriers.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Thanks! I found a package of 25 for 6 bucks online! I appreciate it!
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

2005 28' Classic
Roebling , New Jersey
Can the curtain tab tracks be taken off the walls? The track that the curtains slide on. I don’t want to use the pleated curtains and wish to take the track down.
Alisonn is offline   Reply With Quote