Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Exclamation Front couch=No sleep...Help

I noticed one of the threads spoke of using a Foam mattress topper for a mattress, I need a solution for the front couch of my 1986 31 ft Sovereign, it has the crack where the back folds flat and it is treacherous to sleep on. I need a solution and I need one that eliminates the obvious crack....I was thinking I would get a 4 -5 inch hide-a-bed mattress before I saw the comments about the foam toppers...will it eliminate that crack ?
hhessig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I have not tried a topper, but an inflating air mattress works well and has the advantage of easy storage.

But then again, I have an air compressor I carry, so inflation is not a problem for me. I'd hate to have to huff and puff one full every night.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Red face

Those couches were really not meant to sleep on unless your 10 years old or less. The memory foam toppers do help but have two memories, yours and the couch. Than again it depends on how exausted you are. Sometimes I could sleep on a bed of nails on the side of the road outside of the AS during rush hour. However when you have to sleep on the sofa / couch, a thin air matress with a memory foam topper will work fine. Just don't be to old!
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Talking

check on some futon mattresses
I've seen twin size futon mattresses for sale
I just modified one of my middle twins to be a full and put a futon mattress on it- slept like a log.
eaglerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
12 VDC Airbed

We just went out and used this airbed for the first time. We loved it. It fills and empties fast and is completely self contained. 12 VDC too so we can fill it if we are boondocking. Very comfy and big.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
What's wrong with sleeping in your own bed?
The last time I checked, my Sovereign has two of em in the back...lmao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:28 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I've seen these front "couches". If I owned a trailer with such a folding steel couch, I would consider getting rid of it and building, or having built an earlier style goucho bed.
The 4" foam on these does not have a crack when folded down, and seems much more comfortable. I have slept in the front of our 1971, and it's quite comfy.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hhessig, this crack is indeed character-forming. I discovered its joys when a guest took our usual bed, and my wife and I tried the front couch for the first time. I got the split side, and spent a night reminiscent of a hanging bivouac on the North face of the Eiger. A determined inspection revealed that there is an eccentric adjuster for changing the flattened angle of the thin outer section. By slightly changing the adjuster, the Grand Canyon can be minimised. There is an adjuster at each end, on the steel frame, hidden down the side. A wrench is required. A Therma-rest self-inflating mattress would then ensure your comfort, without needing a lot of storage space. Have fun! Nick
Old 07-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
Gary & Lurleen

It Came from the 80's

The front couch/bed on my 1988 Excella 1000 has a couple problems. First anytime you have something trying to do double duty you give up some on both (ie: houseboat). i am sure similar model has been used at Abu Gahraib to extract confessions. Very neat piece of engineering for the back to roll over and make a bed...i wonder at anytime did anyone designing it actually sit or lay down on it. The next thing was the fabric.. I am sure in the 80's it was high fashion, but so was big hair (wait...I like big hair..I digress). I have removed the original back and bottom ( am saving it in my attic, not sure why). I am keeping the original drawers, am putting a plywood platform on top and have found a single mattress (34" wide) that fits. On top of the mattress i am putting 2" memory foam (did this to the rear twins and it made a world of difference) having my wife sew a cover. We are going to use large loose cusions to wrap around the back to form a setee. We will give up about 3" of width vs. the old bed in the sleep position but will be fine for 1 person. Has anyone converted their sofa/bed similarly?
DJbyRequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
We will be using a Futon for the cussions. The bed in our coach is short. I'm not. I'm looking at putting the kids on the regular bed and the wife and I on the Goucho since it's longer then the bed.

I have slept on a few futons and they can be quite comfortable. They are designed to fold down the middle to become a sofa.You would have a seam down the middle but the plan is to get one that is the size of a conventional full. Down side is they are heavy. Still a while from the point I will be buying the materess but there has been some discussion about this in the past. Might do a search on "Futon" and see what others have said.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I have an even worse scenario. The two sides of the replacement couch in our '78 Sovereign dont quite flatten. This creates an experience akin to sleeping at the top of the mountain. The person on the side that forms the seat of the couch is almost ok, but the side that flattens from being the couch back to the part of the bed that comes down on the inside wall is easily a 5% grade. By morning one person is hanging over onto the floor and the poor schnook in the back is flat against the wall and trying to crawl outta the crack in between the wall and bed. Someone told me these couches are supposed to rest on a couple of flat, rectangular blocks on the floor, but I dont see anything like that in this one. I'm pretty sure the couch came from an A/S outfit. The couch itself is rectangular. The seat slides out and the back goes flat. The arm rests are made to fit into a frame on each end. Unfortunately the former owner sacrificed the storage space under the original Gaucho. This one had a permanent flat front that is upolstered in the same fabric. It looks nice, but the storage space for blankets would have been a lot more appreciated. Anyhow. Any ideas about how to get the "top of the mountain" effect out of this bed. D'Andrea
Kalakala Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
The new ones are no better. Our '04 has a distinct high-side & low-side when 'opened'. It's OK (at best) for watching TV with the 2 of us on opposite ends, but we would never consider sleeping on it. Then again we've never had an argument worthy of exile to the couch!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

I like the idea of the Air Matress too. I have used them several times when tent camping and never felt any less comfortable than my home matress.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

D'andrea, my post #8, above, describes how to adjust this angle. Nick.