Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Front Bedroom Flying Cloud - The Choice for Peeping Toms!

While standing outside the right-side bedroom window of my Flying Cloud at night, I realized that the venetian blinds do not cover everything.

This isn't the best photo, but when standing at a certain angle outside the window, the venetian blind allows enough of a gap to get a pretty good view of my boudoir - the top quarter of the bed - when the lights are on at night.

If someone doesn't have anything better to do than stand there gawking at me, they don't have much of a life, but I try to live by the law of prevention vs. regret.

It's easy to remedy; a long piece of fabric thrown over the top wooden window ledge would fill in the gap between the venetian blind and wall.

Anyone else noticed this about their trailer? Did it bother you enough to do something about it?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Extremely Happy Camper

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Vernon , British Columbia
Yup, same problem!

We are brand new to the Airstream world AND the RV world. Just finished our first big trip from the Okanagan through Utah, Arizona, California and up the coast. Every night those blinds mildly bugged me, as it seem like quite a simple thing to have made the blinds cover the window. We left our Airstream in Redding, CA, in a storage garage, and are going back in January to pick her up and carry on roaming. When we get her back home in April, I'm going to fix that problem, by designing panels that will hang off the existing valance, I think.

It IS cosier to know that you can close yourself up for the evening, and know that you have full privacy, I agree!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the new rear bed version (same bedroom/window setup).

Doesn't bother us because what can they see? Only the corners of the bedroom and that takes some serious peeking effort. You can adjust the little plastic tabs on the pull strings to tighten things up, and that leaves quite a narrow gap.

I like your idea of a long thin cloth across the top, I guess that would be plenty, and could flip up and over if you tacked the sides.

I think the slatted aluminum blinds contribute greatly to the style of the Flying Cloud, a nice contrast in texture to the smooth aluminum walls. Classy, wonderfully designed interiors.

doug k
Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hey sanjuan, another BC'er - wonderful~!

Yes, it's relatively easy to fix. I notice some of the 2012 models have the pull-down vinyl shades vs. the venetians. I think that would provide better coverage and insulation - although I do love the look of my metal venetians.

Happy 'streaming. Maybe we'll meet at a BC rally someday.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have the new rear bed version (same bedroom/window setup).

Doesn't bother us because what can they see? Only the corners of the bedroom and that takes some serious peeking effort. You can adjust the little plastic tabs on the pull strings to tighten things up, and that leaves quite a narrow gap.

I like your idea of a long thin cloth across the top, I guess that would be plenty, and could flip up and over if you tacked the sides.

I think the slatted aluminum blinds contribute greatly to the style of the Flying Cloud, a nice contrast in texture to the smooth aluminum walls. Classy, wonderfully designed interiors.

doug k
Actually, they can see quite a lot. If I were laying on my bed nekkid, they would be able to see....errr.....everything from just below the boobies up. And what if one were entertaining a member of the opposite sex? We don't want to go there, do we?

The remedy is easy enough. No big deal.

I agree; the look of the metal blinds with the aluminum wall is tres chic.

I wouldn't want anything else, really.

Just was wondering if anyone else noticed this, and if they did anything about it.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Extremely Happy Camper

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Vernon , British Columbia
Something that was an eyeopener for me on our first, just completed, trip in an Airstream: MAN, do we attract attention! LOTS of times we saw people standing very close to us, just staring (in awe of our little Airstream, we decided...LOL)

So yes, (tongue in cheek), I think we are at greater risk of exposure to Peepers!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Confucious say if they never saw it they wont know what it is. If they have seen it they might appreciate it. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The worst part about this is that light leaks out around those blinds so you use up your batteries faster trying to keep the inside of the trailer lit.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
anybody stupid enough to peer in at me naked deserves what they get.

and it is NOT going to be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Leaky Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The worst part about this is that light leaks out around those blinds so you use up your batteries faster trying to keep the inside of the trailer lit.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
By golly I think you might be on to something here. I am examining this new information vis a vis how it fits into the Dark Sucker theory.

to wit:

"For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, more recent information has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light, they suck dark. Thus we call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take, for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A candle is a primitive dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all of the dark that has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must either be emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.
Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker.
Candles present a special problem as the dark must travel into a solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus, it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim just below the surface of a lake, you will see a lot of light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets slowly darker and darker. When you reach the depth of approximately 50 feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake, and the lighter light floats to the top. The immense power of dark can be utilized to man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines. This generates electricity and helps push dark to the ocean, where it can be safely stored.
Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from the rivers and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe traveling in the same direction as the flow of the dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark. When they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.
Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet; but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet. In conclusion, I would like to say that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric light bulb, remember that it is, indeed, a dark sucker."

Could it be that this gap in the blinds is allowing the dark outside to suck the light out of your airstream?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
"[I]For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, more recent information has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light, they suck dark.
I think that's just a polarity problem. Reverse the polarity on your light fixtures and you'll be back to emitting light, not sucking dark.

Glad I could be of help.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Costa Mesa , California
We have the same problem with our blinds in the 2012 Flying Cloud. I have adjusted them and the only way that I can see to fix it is valances. I don't want to drill into the wood valance to attach the fabric. I don't even know what type of fabric to use. The metal blinds have such a clean look to them. It is a disappointing design flaw, but I do love my new Airstream.
Sandra B.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
I think that's just a polarity problem. Reverse the polarity on your light fixtures and you'll be back to emitting light, not sucking dark.

Glad I could be of help.
Eureka! And Walla Walla! Or Bora Bora!
In any case, I think you've cracked it. The Dark Sucker theory only applies to ac lights! Which of course have no polarity, and not even many close friends.