Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #29
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
On our first trip last month, I was wondering about visibility. We were in a KOA in Colorado that lost power for several days when that storm hit. I am aware of the differences illumination makes with glass, etc. So, I went outside the AS during the day, and walked around it at a normal sort of distance, about ten feet away, and could only see vague shapes inside , with the shades on the opposite windows closed. Minimal interior lighting from natural sources in the roof, etc. It would have been difficult to see even a complete silhouette. Cool. Then I did the same thing at dusk, and again in the dark with and without the lights on inside. I just simply wanted to know what people outside could see. Of course in full dark outside with the trailer lit up, you can see in pretty well.

I didn't specifically look through gaps in shades (our Int'l CCD doesnt have blinds), I was more interested in the view through an unfettered window. The airstream windows, in our case, provide a lot more privacy than I had expected. Try it, if you haven't, yet. You'll feel better.

But in the case of our FB, I know that if we were in the bedroom with the lights out, no matter HOW much light was outside, a peeper wouldn't be able to see diddly even with his or her face against a window. (no, not THAT 'diddly'!)

Women don't become peeping toms, for some reason, do they.

With the bedroom lights on, it would be a stage. But if you were reading in the bedroom, for example, pointing those two little reading lights at the windows would achieve the effect of totally blinding the night vision of anyone dumb enough to try to look into it.. I find myself pointing them away to read, anyhow. They're too bright. Pointed anywhere they are capable of pointing including straight at the mounting area, the 'side lobes' of those LEDs is more than enough light to read by. So this will be my short term solution to what I suspect isn't really a problem. Shine the reading lights at the window.

I bet a string of little christmas style lights around the inside of the window frame would do the same thing. hey, come to think of it, one of those plastic tubes full of little red LEDs tucked between the window and the shades would be the perfect acoutrement for the feather boa......under some circumstances...ahem, well.. the best defense is a good offense, even optically.

Now, what a candle lit bedroom would look like from the outside, or a nightlight level of lumens, I will have to investigate. But I suspect that with extremely low lighting inside the tinted windows, someone would have a hard time making out details from standing outside.

Of course, if the windows are up, the screen is not much optical help at all. But then someone has to get their head between that and the window.....

Lets invent an Airstream Venus Flytrap....

A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Here's a picture of my solution from a few years ago. They're still holding strong.

TinLoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Originally Posted by kmtyme View Post
Seems to me Airstream should have made all the blinds WIDER by a few inches so they cover a bit of the walls and there would be no visibility around the bllinds! Of course it would cost them a couple pennies more...
if they did that you'd have issues with the window lift arms.

maybe they could extend them with a bend out to the sides?
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Okay. When outfitting the AS, I have four criteria:

1. It is not overtly expensive
2. Preferably light-weight
3. Has dual/multi-purpose
4. Is a bit wacky

These feather boas for the bedroom were perfect because....

1. I found them at the dollar store
2. Are very light-weight
3. They could be used for a dual purpose
4. Are definitely a bit wacky!

And yes, I did the peeping Tom test from the outside. When wrapped around the window lever, they really clung and blacked-out that space between the venetians and window edge.

The final test: Will they survive moulting season?

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote