Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
For Maryw164: Krylon painted tambour

I couldn't figure out how to post a picture in the reply part of the PM's here. So, I'm using this...

Attached is a picture of the before Krylon and after. In the before pic, the end cap has also been sanded and primed (with XIM) for paint (SW Duration Laytex). Still need to finish the control/instrument panel

I only painted the front tambour. It seems to be a different material than the others as it has a more textured surface (as do the tambours in my bathroom). The other tambours in my trailer are smooth laminate, dark brown faux-wood. I have not painted any of those -- yet.
The Krylon spray paint seems to have adhered very well. I sprayed it on after cleaning & rinsing the tambour with TSP three times and then used masking tape to secure newspaper around the perimeter to prevent over-spray on the end cap and the windows/gaucho area.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before after front tambour.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	81307  
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Progress?

Thanks Laura.
Have you painted your endcap yet? Or are you still working on it? Are you going to use the Krylon there too? We are starting to put down the vinyl peel & stick floor today, and also some new panels in front of the tub & under the shelf next to the toilet. I have ordered the "flextrim" molding to finish it with, it will be here by the end of the week. It's not "Flextrim", but works the same. I found a local wood workers supply type place that ordered it for us. It was $2 a ft, but only needed it in front of the bathtub for the curved end corner. On the agenda also for the week is adding a ceiling vent fan to the rear vent (got new one from Inland Rv-Andy).

We also picked up our new, special order daybed couch/mattress from a local mattress maker in SoCal (Comfortpedicmattress.com). The beauty about them is that if and when we ever feel it is getting crushed/worn, they will rebuild it (for a cost of course), because they made it, but the cost will be much less then a making new one. They did a great job. They are very knowledgable and gave us perfect recommendations on which foam types to use based on our description of needing it to be good for sitting & sleeping. I wanted a firm yet comfortable couch feel, where the edges won't crush and make you feel like your sliding off of it. To sit on it, not in it. We custom ordered it with a firm foam edge(80lb density), coils in the center and foam bottom(50lb), top(30lb), with a quilted cover on top. It is very comfy and supportive both to sit on and sleep on. It was about $350, but having a new gaucho made & covered would have been much more. The alternative was a futon type couch, and they can be at least that price, but we opted for the daybed/mattress instead. It is replacing our gaucho, as it was very uncomfortable. We will be having custom wedge bolsters made for the back cushions too. I then will sew custom covers for all pieces, as well as sew new curtains for the front window area. We will eventually get the other two twins made by them as well. We are putting up new blinds/curtains(got to make/sew them too) on the rest of the windows. All that is just the start of many projects to come. I'm tired already and we just started . Too much work, I need to clone myself . I will keep everyone posted on the progress. Like I said before I will probably start a blog or a dedicated thread to chronicle the updates.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Ohhhhh - what size/profile are you getting the *flexi-trim* stuff? I didn't know about it and it looks great. Maybe something that I can use to trim out my flooring - when I finally get to that. I found a patterned solid vinyl that I love (Armstrong Flooring - Natural Weave Willow 12 ft. Resilient Vinyl Sheet) - but have read about concerns with both installation of it and of its cracking over time at the trailer frame sections. Hummmmm Otherwise, I'll do the peel-n-stick planks.

I did finish my end cap. I primed it with XIM (not a joy) and then with Sherwin Williams Duration Laytex paint. It seems to be holding up well. Has been through the winter (clear down into the 30's) and the start of summer, in the 90's. Don't see any evidence of peeling (caps, walls or ceiling) but I'm not going to start picking at it or scrubbing! The primer was a PITA and I posted about my job in this forum too.

Sounds like you got a good deal with your mattress. I'd never heard of beefing up the foam on the edges. Cool.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
looks great!
pamu is offline   Reply With Quote