Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Firming up the mattress update

I am very happy to report that the purchase of the 2" topper mattress firmer from Amazon has worked like a charm. The too soft Queen has now become a very comfortable firm mattress that both my wife and i are much more comfortable with. $78 is a lot better than the new mattress alternatives.

>>ron<<
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
I am very happy to report that the purchase of the 2" topper mattress firmer from Amazon has worked like a charm. The too soft Queen has now become a very comfortable firm mattress that both my wife and i are much more comfortable with. $78 is a lot better than the new mattress alternatives.

>>ron<<

We just bought a 2.5 inch Serta cool side/warm side topper to put on top of the 8 year old cheap mattress that came with the AS (Safari round corner or it would have been replaced already) that we have not been happy with since we got the AS three years ago. Headed out for a week on the road, so we will see how that goes. Figured for the $89 at Sams Club it was worth a try. We are still debating on whether we should cut it to shape, or just sort of bunch it up around the edges. Will report back after a couple of nights sleeping on it.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
We just bought a 2.5 inch Serta cool side/warm side topper to put on top of the 8 year old cheap mattress that came with the AS (Safari round corner or it would have been replaced already) that we have not been happy with since we got the AS three years ago. Headed out for a week on the road, so we will see how that goes. Figured for the $89 at Sams Club it was worth a try. We are still debating on whether we should cut it to shape, or just sort of bunch it up around the edges. Will report back after a couple of nights sleeping on it.

Dana

I was looking at that topper as well for our 20
I'm looking forward to your experience with it. Have a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post

Dana
If you decide to trim the mattress I would recommend the use of an electric Knife. Worked great for us.

>>ron<<
Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
After two nights. I like it. Thought I would want to us cool side first but weather a bit chilly first night di flipped it and it felt fne. It has seemed to have "grown" a bit on width after being in the bed so we may trim it when we get home. But so far so good. Well worth $89

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Topper maker correction

I previously wrote that we had a Serta topper, in actuality it is made by Sharper Image and sold through Sam's Club.

After 9 nights of sleeping on it during our most recent trip, I can give it a ringing endorsement. As I have advanced along the age spectrum, I have noticed that it takes me longer and longer to have the body get loosened up in the morning. After about the first three nights on the memory foam topper, I found myself rolling out of bed with none of the usual overnight joint stiffness. Now I'm not sure whether it was the topper, or the fact that I was stress free and on vacation, but I am going to give the topper the benefit of the doubt because my DW who is retired, said she hadn't slept that soundly in a long time.

We liked it so much that two days after returning home, we went and bought one for our bed at the house. What I like about it is that it has cool gel foam on one side for summer sleeping and regular memory foam on the flip side for warmer winter sleeping.

We used the warm side on our trip because the night temperatures were in the low 50s and mid 40s but we put the one at home on the cool side because we are still in late summer temps here in Texas and it slept very comfortably

Dana