Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Finshing Cabinet on the '64 Tradewind

So I am about to refinish the oak woodwork in the 64. I have reworked the veneer where it was bad. Constructed 5 new doors with 3/8 plywood with red oak veneer applied. And here is what I am thinking.

I have had a stain mixed to match the existing "aged finish" to stain the new veneered doors and I am thinking of applying one coat of orange shellac to help give the new doors an aged look. I am hoping this will bring the new doors to a look very close to the old finished woodwork. The next step of varnishing all of the woodwork is where I pause in my thinking. Normally I like using a brushing lacquer and hand rubbing it to give a nice soft luster but I am a little afraid of this approach for several reason: One the original lacquer most likely has had varnish put over it at some time and lacquer sometimes wrinkles oil based varnishes. Two, the old wood is really dry. This has got me thinking that tung oil might be a good idea for the finish coat because it might help address the dry wood issue. I know you all have lots of experience out there. Any suggestions?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
There are professionals on this site who can probably provide more insight, but I like your tung oil idea for the reasons you listed.

Be sure to post some before and after pics, would love to see them.

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Test everything on samples and in concealed areas. Here, lacquer over varnish is usually considered a bad idea. Some refinishers mix BLO with poly and rub that out. If I was going over varnish, I'd probably just go over it with more varnish.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used oil on my 66 cabinets looks very good. I will put orange oil on them every once in awhile to keep them from cracking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9348.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	179581  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Finshing Cabinet on the 64 Tradewind

Greetings ttbikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
So I am about to refinish the oak woodwork in the 64. I have reworked the veneer where it was bad. Constructed 5 new doors with 3/8 plywood with red oak veneer applied. And here is what I am thinking.

I have had a stain mixed to match the existing "aged finish" to stain the new veneered doors and I am thinking of applying one coat of orange shellac to help give the new doors an aged look. I am hoping this will bring the new doors to a look very close to the old finished woodwork. The next step of varnishing all of the woodwork is where I pause in my thinking. Normally I like using a brushing lacquer and hand rubbing it to give a nice soft luster but I am a little afraid of this approach for several reason: One the original lacquer most likely has had varnish put over it at some time and lacquer sometimes wrinkles oil based varnishes. Two, the old wood is really dry. This has got me thinking that tung oil might be a good idea for the finish coat because it might help address the dry wood issue. I know you all have lots of experience out there. Any suggestions?
The quandry that you describe is familiar . . . when faced with similar questions about my '64 Overlander International, I was advised that WATCO oil finish was the product originally utilized on my Overlander. That is the product that was utilized to renew the finish on my coach's original cabinetry while the WATCO oil treatment was preceded by a coat of MinWax Golden Oak stain on the new veneers. It has been a decade since the process was completed and it is still almost impossible to determine where the new veneers were installed versus the "restored" originals.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote