Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
factory Bunk questions

I just came into possesion of an early 70's bunk setup, thanks to my dear forum-friend, Lowell. (thanks, Lowell!!!)

This'll work out just fine as a sleeping arrangement for my youngster. But...I'm wondering how it folds up to form a seat-back to make the lower twin bunk into a couch, or if it was ever intended to do that. anyone know?

It is constructed of square alluminum tube, with a simple canvas "sling" stretched across it. it is hindged in the middle, and folds lengthwise. these are the brackets:

for the ceiling: (the round one on the left)

and has this wall-mounted bracket:

you can plainly see how square tubing would just sit in that square 'hook".

So I'm poking around on the forums, trying to find some pics of what it might look like in its folded/couch-back position, and I come across this, from the 1975 owner's manual:

this is NOT what I have. looks like in this pic, the wall brackets also act like a hinge, allowing the section of bed closest to the wall to pivot down to a vertical position, without detaching from the wall, while the forward section presumeably folds underneath the wall section. From this diagram, I would assume that the split foam mattress sections are stitched together with upholstery fabric, allowing them to split and fold in the middle, much like my front gaucho does.
my frame is also not made of 2 seperate 4-sided rectangular frames, either. it is a single 4-sided frame, with canvas stretched across it...like an army cot. But it does fold in half lengthwise, and has the same hinge as shown in the above diagram.

so...is my bunk meant to form a couch back? if so, how is this accomplished? if not, why does it fold in the middle? I don't see the purpose of folding it this way, if not meant for "double-duty". It wouldn't make it any easier to store when not in use, either in the trailer or out. (the unwieldy part is its length, not its width or weight). and that hinge creates a potential weak spot (potential for collapse) for the person sleeping on it.

what do you think?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
I believe this is what you are looking for.
Keith
Attached Images

Zed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed2
I believe this is what you are looking for.
Keith
no, its not what I'm looking for; its what I've GOT!

that's exactly it.

my question is, does it fold into a seatback for the couch? if so, how? and if not, why did they put a hinge in it?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
bunk beds

Chuck I have a 74 owners manual and this is what it says the pictures do not show hardware. The bunk beds (optional) located in the bedroom, serve as the bolster for the bed when not in use. In order to place bunk into sleeping position: 1. Depress latch(A) located on the center back side of the bolster. 2. With latch depressed pul up on fabric loop(B) located on the center front bottom of bolster. This will allow bolster filler to hinge down. 3. Bring bolster filler up to horizontal position and attach both staps onto bracket on ceiling. To lower bunk 1. Release straps 2. rotate bolster filler into latched position. 3.Lower bolster down against wall.. They also say that the space behind the rear cushon is ideal for storing bedding. hope this can bring a little more light on it..
Old 02-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Chuck,
I don't think it is supposed to fold into a seat back. I suspect it folds in half so it will fit in the closet or behind something....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
bunk beds

Chuck the pictures of your hardware do you have two of each? Chuck this is just my guss I would think that if you have two ceiling hooks and two wall brackets and the other strap bracket that looks to be painted would mount on the wall center of bed , so when bunk is in lowered position there would be a strap that you could tighten to secure bunk when not in use, I am invisioning a strap somthing like a snowmoble helmet with the two steel d rings.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
yep, 2 of each.

I don't think we're talking about the same model of bunk. I think the one in your manual is newer.

no "straps" on mine. see pic posted by Zed2; that's the unit.

it has cables with round balls on the ends that fit into that hole in the bracket, then slide into the slot to hold the unit in place. in the alluminum frame of the bunk are 2 corresponding hole/slot thingies for the other end of the cable.

I don't remember seeing any mention of a bunk in my owner's manual ('73), but I'll check again. But this same model of bunk was installed in my trailer at some point, as there are "scars" in the ceiling and on the walls that match these brackets exactly. That doesn't mean that "airstream" put it in there, though...maybe this is a "60's" bunk, and was installed, (and subsequently removed), by a po. or maybe '74 was the first year for the type that you have.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
bunk bed

Well then if you have two wall and two cieling brackets and one strap bracket, that bracket must be used to secure when bunk is folded down. or am I wrong with my thought or do you remove and store in closet.. the one in my 74 manual says there is a latch yours dose not have a latch. thats why I think the one bracket that you have that is painted, is the bracket that will secure bunk in folded down position with a strap..
Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Ok, I see where the confusion is.

I dont' have a strap bracket. that is for the "newer" model. I only have the round bracket on the left in that picture, which was originally posted by Andy at Inland RV, showing people that they have both types in stock.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
bunk bed

Ok, if you had two of those brackets that would be a good way to secure bunk while not in use..
Old 02-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

When I bought the AS the bunk was hanging from the ceiling over the roadside rear twin bed in my Sovereign. It looked just like the picture in Keith's post, except mine had the plastic coated cables instead of chain. The only other difference is that on the roof mounted brackets mine wasn't mounted to a backing plate, it was just rivited to the ceiling. Your welcome Chuck, I'd rather it go to good use than rotting away in my out building.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
bunk in the "couch back" position.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hammock6.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	18290  
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Once he's beyond his diaper stage we'll take him camping, and he can use the bunk, but I'm guessing that's three years old anyways, isn't it?

__
yeah, about that. Depends on the kid, though. Mine will be 3 in April, and he's still sleeping in a crib...seems perfectly happy to do so. Up to this point, when camping, he's been sleeping in a playpen that I have set up in place of the curbside twin bed. (removed mattress; playpen fits perfectly). This year, he'll be too big for that, so he'll get one of the beds...I think I'd still be kind of wary about putting him in the hanging bunk just yet. (certainly not without some kind of restraint to keep him from falling out...that could be rigged easily enough, but he may still be just too little to be comfortable up there). we'll see... next year, for sure.

But hey, you don't have to wait that long to take him camping! In my experience, the smaller they are, the easier they are to deal with. (they stay where you put 'em ). But then again...there is that whole "diaper" thing. I guess that's the priviledge of office as a grandparent. no diaper duty!

first campout: 11 weeks old. International Rally in VT.

Till: great pic! looks like thats a pull-out gaucho, though. Mine are a fixed size. just a mattress on a fixed platform. But I'm sure I could rig-up something that'll make the bunk function as a seat-back. looks to me like I could have a "split mattress" made for it, much the same way the gaucho cushions are seperate pieces of foam, but held together with the upholstery fabric forming a hinge. Your pic shows at the very least that the frame and sling don't take up alot of space when folded and placed up against the wall.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellN
When I bought the AS the bunk was hanging from the ceiling over the roadside rear twin bed in my Sovereign. It looked just like the picture in Keith's post, except mine had the plastic coated cables instead of chain. The only other difference is that on the roof mounted brackets mine wasn't mounted to a backing plate, it was just rivited to the ceiling. Your welcome Chuck, I'd rather it go to good use than rotting away in my out building.
Would LOVE to get my hands on a set of these bunks & brackets if anyone has some not in use. I pulled out the "dresser" and closet in my AS to make room for a twin opposite the double. I'd like to put one of these bunks above it, but if I can't track a set down, I'll have to build a solid one like I've seen pictured elsewhere. If anyone has one they aren't using or would like to get rid of please let me know!
JB
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My 1972 Tradewind is set up for them but I don't have the bunks, just the brackets. According to my owners manual, the bunk basically folds in half and slides into a pair of brackets over the couch, just below the upper storage compartments. I'd scan the diagram for you, but my brother borrowed my scanner and hasn't returned it. If you look at the linked photo in my album here,

http://www.airforums.com/photo...?i=11516&c=504

you can see the brown metal bracket in the upper left, under the storage compartment.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
My 1972 Tradewind is set up for them but I don't have the bunks, just the brackets. According to my owners manual, the bunk basically folds in half and slides into a pair of brackets over the couch,
You are correct - Vintageairstream.com has some good photos of the original setup:
http://vintageairstream.com/Images/b...)/P1010011.jpg

http://vintageairstream.com/Images/b...0)/9d_12_s.jpg
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

Till: great pic! looks like thats a pull-out gaucho, though. Mine are a fixed size. just a mattress on a fixed platform. But I'm sure I could rig-up something that'll make the bunk function as a seat-back. looks to me like I could have a "split mattress" made for it, much the same way the gaucho cushions are seperate pieces of foam, but held together with the upholstery fabric forming a hinge. Your pic shows at the very least that the frame and sling don't take up alot of space when folded and placed up against the wall.
Chuck, the twins never had a back to them, as they were not intended to be couches. There is no reason, however, why you couldn't install cushions on the part that you would lean against if it were a couchback. If nothing else, it would keep you from smacking your head into it in the middle of the night.