Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question Ever use a foam mattress pad?

So, we're trying to sleep on the fold-out double in the middle of the trailer, and frankly, it ain't the most comfortable thing in the world.

I realize we could buy new mattresses and sleep like royalty for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, but that's not in the trailer budget right now.

I'm wondering about one of these "viscoelastic foam" pads... looks like we could get one pretty reasonably on line, and it might help...

Whatcha all think of 'em?

-Don
Old 01-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

They are great in an Airstream
try memoryfoamfactory.com best deal on the web.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Even better - try a pad of silk or silk and cotton. Try the company store: wwwthecompanystore.com They have an extensive selection of natural fiber and down bedding and their custom shop will make any size you want.

Personally my preference is a merino wool and cotton blend...... alternatively, you could stuff your bed with nice soft new 20 dollar bills - the more the better

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

foam

I recently purchased a 2" foam slab from an upolstery shop---This is what you want...not the wavy-waffel-corrugated duff. My 6" mattress is fine except w/o a box spring I get pressure spots. The foam should be about $60 double bed. I opted for the medium(blue)firmness...anything softer won't be too effective. Now I sleep like a baby and don't wake up at all. hope this helps. Gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We bought a 'memory-foam' 2" pad for our double and wouldn't be without it. We had previously tried an air mattress, an inexpensive foam pad (even doubled it) from a dept. store to no avail. The memory foam pad did it for us.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Ed and Debbie

Welcome to the Forum!!!

I am in full agreement on your recommendation. Have the matress toppers on the MH and also on all the beds (2) at the house.

BTW, there is an informal get together at Canyon of the Eagles (look up thread) next weekend. Hope you can join us, even if only for Saturday afternoon.

Click Here for Canyon of the Eagles Forum Thread

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

..a point of clarification: I use the new foam under the matress to act as a foundation component...I love my mattress and didn't want to change that ol' familiar feeling.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i have a 4 inch pad on my bed in the silver weenie and it is great. i had planned to get a couple of mattresses made, out of the memory foam havent done that yet. i couldnt sleep on the airstream mattresses until i put the foam on top. now i sleep like a log no pressure points any more.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
I keep reading how these things react to pressure and heat.... anybody know how they work, or even if it is possible to use, a mattress warmer with them? We use a mattress warmer, like an electric blanket but for a the top of the mattress, to help ease my husband's fibromyalgia and my bad hip.... have thought about trying the memory foam thingie but am really curious about using it AND a warmer..... on the other hand, I may invest in the pads for my two dogs.... lol

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i got mine off ebay. i havent looked to see what 2 inch is going for. he sells the doggie stuff also. my lazy dog gets a regular pad that getts shredded . wouldnt think the foam would survive.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

a religious experience

bout two months ago my partner and i got one of those NASA type mattress pads, we are living in a tiny little '64 Nomad while we completely strip and rebuild our Airstream.

i can't remember the right name, i call them therma-pudics for fun.

nothing has affected my sleep so much in my life! they are incredible. i look at my watch in the afternoon and wish it were time to go to bed!

the two of us sleep in a little 4 ft wide bed in the nomad, you can barely tell when the other is rolling over.

in the new design for the airstream we are going to cover the new back bed and also the front couch/bed with it, and also pillows and back rests.

i would put more money on these pads than any other interior improvement, any time.

michael
kechari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

foam pad

I have tried the 2'' Nasa foam topper pads, they are incredible. worth every penny. About $100 bucks. I don't have that many pennies so I settled for the foam topper from Walmart. It is 1.75'' thick and made of a closed cell foam with boxes sliced into it. Not as nice as the Tempurpedic, but a fantastic second for only $20. IT is nothing like a ordinary egg crate. Different type of foam. Well worth a try.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My wife used an 1 1/2" memory foam pad on our twin in the Safari. It made quite a difference in her comfort level. We just went out to Costco last weekend and picked up a 2" queen memory foam topper and will put it in the Classic if the weather is decent over the weekend.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

I use memory foam and a feather bed, and it makes a huge difference.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote