Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
End cap questions

So we're measuring for bracing the interior for the shell-off, and talking about various interior stuff. The subject of the end caps comes up, and then a few questions and a debate came up, we have some decisions to make.

The debates we're having are over two things:
a) removing the inner end caps and skinning over that part in aluminum (I'm completely against it) and
b) removing the interior front "thingy" that used to hold the radio and probably other stuff. See picture below. Husband is debating removing that thing and re-fiberglassing over it, for a smooth surface and leaving in the end cap. I like it, but I'm definitely going to take out the plastic insides that are cracked and pretty much ruined, at the very least. But I ultimately want to leave the end cap and the formed "thingy", and just fixing the inside of it.

So my specific questions are: do the interior end caps serve as any kind of interior structural support, any more than the rest of the inner skins? I realize they're VERY HARD if not impossible to replace, so I'm sticking to my guns on leaving them in. (We may take them out to re-insulate and pull wire behind, but they're staying, and that's final).

Can anyone tell me more about end caps in general and pros and cons of his idea on removing the "thingy"? I promise I'm not trying to get you involved. And I won't quote you.

Thanks very much. Thingy picture follows...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontviewceiling copy.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	38031  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
So my specific questions are: do the interior end caps serve as any kind of interior structural support, any more than the rest of the inner skins?
No specific experience here but the end cap liner doesn't strike me as being strong enough to be structural like the inner skins are (i.e., won't provide a brace against racking). It shouldn't have to either -- the curved riveted end segments are stiffer due to their shape.

Your 'thingy' pic almost jumps into reverse image mode and is hard to tell what is left up there. Do you have an oblique view?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I have an oblique view on everything! DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
better view

...and we like you that way!

I fiddled with the settings, here's a better view I hope. The edges of it are fine, just the interior plastic is all broken. I'm guessing that taking the whole end cap out and skinning over the front part would be a lot of unnecessary work, but he might be right about taking out this "thingy" part. I'm thinking we leave it in, since it blends in with the curves. Either way, thanks for any input...we aren't even at this point yet. He has a tendency to go full-bore and there's no stopping him if he's made up his mind to do something, so I need to discuss this with him now rather than when we get to it. We ended up throwing away an entire rear bath instead of at least selling it because of his determination. It has it's advantages, but we end up regretting not thinking ahead sometimes, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thingy.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	38064  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Missouri
Greetings pinkflamingoes,

Any progress on your end cap dilemma? I have the fiberglass end caps in my 64 Safari and would like to replace them with aluminum.

Thanks,

Dave
64_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes View Post
So we're measuring for bracing the interior for the shell-off, and talking about various interior stuff. The subject of the end caps comes up, and then a few questions and a debate came up, we have some decisions to make.

The debates we're having are over two things:
a) removing the inner end caps and skinning over that part in aluminum (I'm completely against it) and
b) removing the interior front "thingy" that used to hold the radio and probably other stuff. See picture below. Husband is debating removing that thing and re-fiberglassing over it, for a smooth surface and leaving in the end cap. I like it, but I'm definitely going to take out the plastic insides that are cracked and pretty much ruined, at the very least. But I ultimately want to leave the end cap and the formed "thingy", and just fixing the inside of it.

So my specific questions are: do the interior end caps serve as any kind of interior structural support, any more than the rest of the inner skins? I realize they're VERY HARD if not impossible to replace, so I'm sticking to my guns on leaving them in. (We may take them out to re-insulate and pull wire behind, but they're staying, and that's final).

Can anyone tell me more about end caps in general and pros and cons of his idea on removing the "thingy"? I promise I'm not trying to get you involved. And I won't quote you.

Thanks very much. Thingy picture follows...
Airstream type of constuction is called "monocoque", which means the shell is "load bearing".

The interior shell is nearly as important as the exterior shell.

Therefore all the interior metal and end caps, provide to some degree or other, structural strength.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
But does anyone know about the possibility of replacing the plastic end cap-"thingy"?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
But does anyone know about the possibility of replacing the plastic end cap-"thingy"?
The plastic end caps can be replaced, and they can be repaired.

Some are still available for the older trailers, depending on which one, the front or rear.

In some cases a replacement would fit, but might have a different cabinet design.

Andy
Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Andy; Is it possible to replace the end cap with precut aluminum skins? I was thinking about taking the plastic end cap out totally.
Todd
Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I think at least one member of the forum has replaced the interior endcaps with aluminum strips...and it lookded GOOD..........I seem to recall that it was a lot of work. Based on what I saw, the end result was worth it IMHO.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/p...hlight=segment

This post shows some work by Craig T. I seem to recall others as well.

Good luck, and take plenty of pictures.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
You could also leave the plastic endcap in, and just attach aluminum (or other material) panels to that.

62Overlander (Frank) did this in the bathroom of his trailer. You can read some of the details on his blog, here: Anna Lumanum: March 2008

Look at the March 13th entry.

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I took a look at them. I am not against doing metal work, but I think this may be more than I want to get into. I;m now thinking I like the control panel up there, and I can make a pretty cool little cabinet to fit into the old cabinet space. I think I may do some old surfboard style fiberglassing over the holes in the molded plastic, and then find a cool paint for it...
Todd
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
Andy; Is it possible to replace the end cap with precut aluminum skins? I was thinking about taking the plastic end cap out totally.
Todd
Airstream has some interior segments available, but they are for wide bodies.

Yes, it can be done, but your looking at, ball park, over $2000.00, for just the metal, plus shipping, plus rivets.

Then, the real bad part is if you incorrectly cut one, you would have to buy another segment.

I will check and let you know what end caps are available for the older trailers, when I get back home, and after Airstream reopens, which is December 1st.

Andy
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks Andy, but when you get down to the cost basis of the new panels and how much time and effort it will take, I think I will try to do something cool with the plastic end cap. Suddenly I don't dislike it so much