Old 07-18-2002, 10:14 AM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Nothing lasts forever, not even out beloved airstream trailers and their parts...

Old 08-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #16

cracked dome cap

Hi,

Our front dome cap is craked, a v-shaped crack that goes down to the top of the shelf. Our '74 is very original, and we'd like to keep it that way, anyone know if there is a good way to repair or evn replace the dome caps?

Thanks,

TR

Old 09-15-2002, 02:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Did anybody try to paint their endcaps over the summer? I'd be interested in hearing the results - I thought only my Argosy had the "bad 70's" yellow endcaps.
Thanks!
Marc
Old 09-15-2002, 03:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Len Covers

I picked up 19 new light len covers this summer while at A/S and, the cost was 1.28$ each. Fantastic inprovement~!!
Not sure if this is the 'same' thing that being talked abt on this thread but...They certainly didn't cost 13 dollars apiece~!
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 09:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
We are having our "new" 1975 Overlander restored, and the replacement of the yellow light fixture covers and all new light bulbs has made the interior far brighter than we could have imagined. A huge benefit for a small cost!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Vern.
Exactly "what lens covers" did you pick up for $1.28??
For what year? What light?
Are we comparing apples and apples, or are we comparing apples to a tootsie roll?
I have a new Airstream and I only paid $200.00 for it!! Wow.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 09-15-2002, 01:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ref:Len cover

Hi Andy,
From the total given(19), it's all of the 12 volt light lens cover..The ones over the sink, in the ceiling, bathroom, the reading lights over the beds..each light fixture had two white lens except for the one in the shower.
Our unit is: 1984 Sovereign, 29' with rear beds. I don't know much abt 'apples and oranges' when it comes to A/S but...I try to stick with the original replacement or geniune A/S parts..
As I stated earlier, 19 lens cover, $1.28 each, total cost $24.32 plus Ohio sale tax. (No shipping charges, as I picked them up in person).
The finis results is, as others have stated, much cleaner,nicer looking and, decent light now.
In the last two years, I've spend at least 60%of the purchased price in 'fixing things' Of which, the majority was in the area of safety.
ciao
Old 09-15-2002, 04:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
That lens is about 4 inches sqaure, Airstream closed them out. The lens the other fellows are talking about is for earlier years and is 17 3/4 inches square. Yours is far from the same thing they have.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 09-15-2002, 06:05 PM   #23

cracked end cap

Hello,
I recently purchased our first airstream. It is a 1979 25' land yacht. It is in exceptional original shape on the inside. but I too have the yellowing problem on the plastic parts.and my front end cap is cracked. I would be interested in knowing if there is a replcement cap available. Also just for your info. It is not generally a stain problem but a sun problem. If you look at a new $200,000 motorhome going down the road it will generally have a yellow Refer door and stove vent. So it is not just an Airstream problem. I have worked in the RV industry for 20 years and grew up on an Airstream retail lot in VA. And this has always been a problem with plastic parts still exsistant today.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ref

Andy,
1. It sure helps to know the size, doesn't it??. I, like the others, had no idea that the size could be that far off.( Just assumed that all A/S had similiar size len lights) Thanks for your input. One thing I've learned is; Just when you think you have all the facts, one little bit of information pops up that, changes everything~!
I'm sure 'you' know this all too well..
And now to the "third stage" of enlightment (Thanks Frank, for that phrase).
"LET'S ALL GET OUT THERE AND, ENJOY THE DARN THING!!"
Isn't that what we bought these for????

2.cotopaxitwo
I agree with you abt the plastic discoloration, it's not just an A/S thing..If anything, we as A/S owner, are far better off then most.
Just wanted to say this abt the plastic end caps..(If we're talking abt the same thing, lol) My understanding on this..No, they're not being made and, A/S doesn't have them in stock. So, unless you just happen to find one off an older unit or from a dealer. I'm afraid you just might be outa luck on that one.
Interesting approach: One of the photos on this forum shows a project where the end cap has been replaced with wood panel in , what I would call, a starburst pattern~Looks KEWL~~!
Just this past summer, while staying in one of your local (ur in Fredericksburg?) campgrounds in Va., I was sitting out under my awning, enjoying a rum/coke. When I notice nearby that, there was a unit for sale (non A/S). I walked over to take a look at it. It was newer unit (Terry,91) than my A/S(84) but...I gotta tell you, if this is anything like how non A/S holds up...I couldn't even go into detailing the things were wrong and, this was from the outside only..Don't even wanta think abt the inside~! But, to give you what the market is asking, etc. This unit was approx 28' , like I said, A Terry and, the owner was asking $4,800. It sold , by the way too...Watched it pulled out by the new owner.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-16-2002, 09:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A small number of end caps are still available for the older trailers. In some cases, a new headliner will fit. Providing the trailer serial number, is a beginning for the search.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 09-16-2002, 02:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
End Cap

Andy,
Once again, you've saved the day for someone..Thank goodness both of mine are still in like new condition. Question for you: What does a new end cap sell for? I realize that's a broad question but, what are we talking about in general? Again, Thanks for your knowledge..ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-16-2002, 05:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Cleaning dull Walls, etc

I cleaned all the plastic [or whatever] end caps and the walls with Simple Green full strength in some places and a soft scrub pad [the red ones]. It was a lot of work spread out over a few days but it did clean up the walls and roof and removed the sticky feel. The end caps did clean up some but still had a buff color after I finished. I thought that was the original color of a '71 28ft Int. Tom
Old 09-16-2002, 05:36 PM   #28

Andy,

Thanks for the info, Is there a specific place to check for the availabilty of the caps. Like a dealer, or the factory, or after market?