Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Dry Cleaning CCD Cushion Covers

I have a 2004 22' International CCD.

My wife took the dinette seat cushion covers to the dry cleaners to get them cleaned. But even though the tag said "Dry Clean Only", the Dry Cleaner lady was apprehensive about cleaning them and gave them back. The tag also said it was a 100% Resin Treated Polyester Fiber Batting and she was afraid that this resin treatment would be destroyed by the cleaning chemicals.

The cover vendor is DESIGN TIME, 65195 Firethorn Drive, Goshen, IN 46526.

Has anyone with these CCD cushion covers (blue, orange, green, yellow) had them dry cleaned yet?
Is it safe to Dry Clean these cushion covers? Will the resin coating remain intact during the dry cleaning process?

Thanks!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Has any CCD owners dry cleaned their cushion covers yet?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
You are asking a question that I am also eager to hear the answer to since we bought the trailer 'used'. I sorry I don't have an answer for you.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
We have not tried to clean our covers yet, and to prolong doing that, we try to cover the seats with some sheets or towels, especially if we are hot, sweaty, and stinky, to try and protect the upholstery.

If we are entertaining guests, off come the sheets.

Jonathan
Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Hello...I own a Dry Cleaners and without seeing them it's a hard call. I'm not sure if what you are talking about are slip covers or the actual cushion and covers. If they do say Dry Clean only I would suggest you tell your cleaner to clean them on a short cycle, this will help with shrinkage and the amount of heat applied durring the cleaning process. Most cleaners will clean them if you sign a release. Dry cleaning fluid called Perc, is the same consistancy as gasoline basically and made to break up oily residue from body, food ect. It will melt the soles off your shoes. This is why your cleaners does not want to take responsibility if something should happen to your cushions and the resin coating. If you can't find someone to clean them I would suggest cleaning them in a cold water delicate cycle with light agitation and hanging them to dry. Prespot them before sending them through the cycle with a toothbrush...do not rub to hard as you may loose color. Hope this helps!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Covers

Why don't you try contacting the manufactuers. Simple phone call could solve any possible problems.

Ron
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpovey
Why don't you try contacting the manufactuers. Simple phone call could solve any possible problems.

Ron
I've called the manufacturer, repeatedly - No answer!

I've e-mailed Airstream's Tech Support - No response.

I've posted this on Airstream's Forum as well - No responses.

I wish it was a simple as you suggest.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 08-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Sorry to say, our solution was to re-upholster upon purchase...

Our "life raft" orange cushions were dirty on delivery but my wife wanted them changed out anyway.

Good luck Bob.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Jay,

Will you ever dry clean the dirty Orange covers, say for resale, or something?

Bob
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 08-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Bob,

When the seamstress made the new covers for us, she used the old covers for patterns and reused the zippers and hold-down tabs/snaps so, no, we won't be able to reuse them... I think they got tossed even.

BTW, the print patterns show dirt a whole lot less than the originals. As I mentioned before, our dinette cushions were "dirty" on delivery. Uff da.

Can't say it was cheap to replace, though. I think it took something like 6 or 7 yards of fabric to do the dinette.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Stanley Steamer?

I have older cushions for two gauchos, which I saved from a trailer my son-in-law parted out. The fabric is in nice condition except that it is heavily soiled. I'm thinking of having Stanley Steamer clean them next time I have them to the house for carpet and upholstery cleaning.
As for the "dry clean only" tag, here is an excerpt from an article on cleaning interior boat cushions:

"I have spoken with fabric manufacturers that have labeled their material DRY CLEAN ONLY just to find out that the reason is to keep the owner from throwing the cleaned item in the dryer, which distorts or shrinks many fabrics"

Source: http://www.sailnet.com/collections/g...and%20Cushions

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
CryptoCare

OK, here's the gouge directly from Airstream Customer Service for my 22' CCD cushion covers (also for 25' and 28'). After discussing this issue with the manufacturer, here is what they mailed me:

http://www.cryptoncare.com/images/se...Procedures.pdf

Refer to this website:

http://www.cryptoncare.com

Most of their cleaning products are large volume and pricy, but they do offer a free sample kit. That might be enough for me. I'll fill out the online application form and try it out.

Also, Walmart's Auto Center offers a number of similar upholstrery cleaners for alot cheaper. Time to experiment.

Bob
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Today we dry cleaned some SOB cushion covers and to get them back on the foam cushion easily we covered the cushion with the poly or a dry cleaning bag..They are open ended on either side and made the job a snap.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
Cleaning the white bed spread of a CCD?

Has anyone out there had experience washing the white bed spread from a CCD? After weeks in the desert my white spread is more of a "ring around the collar" white. This disturbs me.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thankx
Carole
the better half of JohnnieWinona
JohnnieWinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Just did mine today...although not white....Cold water wash...tumble dry low,
take out when still barely damp and let air dry. Throw some Oxyclean in there with it in the wash cycle and let it sit when the tub fills for an hour or so...that should brighten it up, then let the washer finish it's cycle. Hope this helps!!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i own a 2005 25' international ccd w/ yellow cushions and pillows.

i don't know if it's the bright fabric or what but the yellow cushions and pillows get dirty fast (real fast).

i didn't see the drycleaning only tags before i washed (i noticed them after i washed) the two cushions from the dinette, and the three sofa pillows. using the house washing machine, on regular cycle, full water, cold setting, normal wash soap. everything turned out just fine. i hung them over the laundry room door to dry. no damage, came out clean.

trick to put back together: all the foam came wrapped in thin plastic. without using the plastic it's almost impossible to get the foam to slide seemlessly back into the cushions and pillows. use the plastic, just as it came out.

in regards to the ccd white bedspread. yep, i just washed that also. you need to be a little carefull with this item. mine, from the factory just isn't sewn together real well. i noticed this before i washed it. it ripped at a seam gently removing it from the bed.

again, i used the house washing machine, full water, cold setting, regular cycle and soap. dryed this in the dryer on high setting. came out undamaged and clean.

it seemed that this got really dirty also, but then again it's bright white, and i was boondocking. what do i know...

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
My 19CCD came to me at delivery with water stained front curtains and dinette cushions (lemon grass). I raised all kinds of hell at the dealer and was told to soak them in Woolite and if the didn't come clean, they would replace them. I said ....."I'll be back after they don't clean up!"

THEY CAME CLEAN!!!!!!

Follow the directions and be sure to use COLD water. I was amazed to say the least.............................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Kevin mentions after cleaning your cushion covers to cover the foam with plastic.....this can be easily attained at your local drycleaners. The Poly used to cover your clothes works perfecto!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Thanks guys for the good info on cleaning the dinette seat covers. I'll soak Lemongrass covers in Woolite and machine wash on regular cycle, full water, cold setting and normal wash soap, drip dry and use the plastic to reinsert the foam cushions. Just in time for the 2006 camping season!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 03-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Slidell , Louisiana
As mentioned previously, dry clean only does not always mean "dry clean". The label often times is referring to the inside material and is often misleading.

I am a certified upholstery and fabric cleaning technician (www.iicrc.org) and have seen that many can easily be wet cleaned especially if a synthetic material. I use hot water extraction with professional quality products with good results and there are other options.

A simple burn test will help identify fabric type, inside zipper cut a small piece and burn looking to see if it beads up (synthetic) or turns to ash and crumbles (natural). If natural like cotton the cleaner may use an acidic ph cleaning solution and dry fast. (a few variables)

Also a few other things like material backing, fabric degredation and ink or markings on the cushion that could bleed through are of concern. A reputable carpet and upholstery cleaner could most likely clean the cushions.

Always ask the technician for certification which any reputable certified technician will proudly offer to verify.
MarkExc500 is offline   Reply With Quote